All Boards >> IBS Fitness & Lifestyle Board Discussions

View all threads Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
I was OVER-medicating!
      #363418 - 02/11/11 10:33 AM
Jackey

Reged: 12/27/05
Loc: Orlando, Florida

IBS-D for 5+ years. On Librax ($$$$), sometimes Zantac/Prilosec. Just saw the doctor. Needing something stronger, and needing to gain weight. He said, drop the Librax. Get Immodium (no side effects, OTC, and affordable), take twice per day. I was over-medicating with probiotics and digestive enzymes. I am out of balance. He said I'll feel some withdrawal effects from Librax (aggitation/figgiting) but it would pass, and he could give me something for that if I found I needed it. This doctor, Dr. Harry Shephard, Altamonte Springs, Florida is the best. Been going to him since I was diagnosed. He's learned along with me and loves to be challenged! His goal, "Do no harm."

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: I was OVER-medicating! new
      #363453 - 02/13/11 01:49 PM
Crbngrl

Reged: 02/13/11

Glad to read your post. I was prescribed Prilosec and librax. I only take it as needed. My ibsd has been really bad with nausea when I eat. I eat small meals. I was wondering about imodium as some people build tolerance. I take it maybe once per week and use kaopectate when needed. The mornings are the worse time when I get up. Have been getting lots of anxiety with this syndrome. Could you keep posting how you have been feeling using the immodium? I just started Heather's tummy fiber and will post as time goes by. I do tai chi and some yoga for relaxation which calms me down. Thanks.

#363464 - 02/14/11 12:31 PM
CMBickel

Reged: 04/25/03
Loc: Sandy, UT

I've had IBS-D for 16 yrs. and FINALLY found something that helped correct this situation. Heathers eating suggestions, watch what triggers your spasms and delete them from your diet. Also I've listened to the hynosis tapes and they are the greatest. I take 1/2 tab. Fibercon before lunch and really watch the FAT (grease)contents & dairy. Soy products work for me but everyone is different. Good luck.

#363473 - 02/15/11 04:59 AM
gizmo

Reged: 07/28/10

I am also IBS-D. The mornings were always the worst for me too. Once I started following Heather's guidelines for eating and eliminating things from my diet and taking the tummy fiber. I'm stable now and rarely have problems. I only have problems when I eat something I know I shouldn't eat. I have taken Imodium in the past and it worked for me. I didn't take it too often because I don't like being dependent on medication but in certain situations when I knew bathrooms wouldn't be readily available. The only problem I've had with it, is if you take too much of it then I had the opposite problem and I was constipated and uncomfortable for a couple days. I've also tried the Librax in the beginning and that didn't work as well for me as the Imodium did. Give the fiber a chance to work because that has been a life saver for me. Good luck!

#363518 - 02/20/11 09:29 AM
Jackey

Reged: 12/27/05
Loc: Orlando, Florida

Well, its been about two weeks now that I'm on Immodium and have stopped taking Librax 2ce/day. I cannot believe the difference. And, I hope I never develop a tolerance from it. It is a savior after these 5 years. If I were to eat STRICTLY the way Heather proposes, I'd probably not have to take any meds at all. But, I cheat! I love food! I need to gain weight! Yoga and weightlifting helps. But, as I said, I love food! No nausea, no vomiting, no diareah. I only take one Immodium per day, not 2 as my Dr. prescribed. If I did take 2 it would be too much and I'd swing to the other side. Hope this helps some of you. I'll keep putting updates on here.

#365691 - 07/29/11 08:10 AM
smcdoh40

Reged: 07/29/11

I'm so glad I read your post. I have been having a problem with IBS D and my doctor just told me to manage my stress. There are situations where I can but sometimes the situation is so stressful nothing helps. I found Immodium to be helpful but was afraid of using it too much. The posts in this discussion have given me peace of mind that using Immodium for ultra stressful situations is not going to hurt me. Thank you so much!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 49 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 9998

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review