All Boards >> IBS Fitness & Lifestyle Board Discussions

View all threads Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Trying To Help!
      #357232 - 04/02/10 05:31 AM
Gray

Reged: 04/02/10

I am a mother with a daughter with IBS and reflux. She is 20 years old and has been suffering with this embarrasing issue for 9 years (if not longer). She has come to the conclusion on her own to eliminate all dairy. She hates the fact that she has this and is trying very hard to get it in control. Her MOST complaint is gas. This has been an issue with her since she was a little girl. Passing gas as often as she does is VERY embarrasing especially when trying to date boys. If I could just help her with this one symptom, she would be elated. I have bought the cook book, peppermint tabs, fennel tea and Acacia fiber. She currently is taking Acidophilus and Dicyclomine (always before a meal) to help with the pain and ease of digesting food. She has started to follow the chart that was offered on your site, but now feels like everything she eats is fattening. She attend college and dorm food is really not in favor of IBS suffers. She is afraid of gaining tons of weight (she is 5'6" and 120-125). She is a very active and weight conscious young lady. I know I have thrown a lot of information into one post, but can you help me help her? She does have your site in her computer, but I know with her schedule and activity level, she will neglect this site and try to "wing it" with the cheat sheet. Any ideas that will help would be appreciated.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Trying To Help! new
      #357237 - 04/02/10 07:18 AM
linisue54

Reged: 08/30/08

Hi,congrats to your daughter for eliminating dairy. That has been one of the best solutions for me(although I miss it). I have IBS-C and my main complaint is gas also. Once I got the C under control and changed my diet, the gas has been a world better. I take Citrucel every day or the Acacia Fiber and now I eliminate every day. I have substituted things for other things and eat what I can and like and dont worry about what other people think, cuz its my body and I have to NOT be in pain. Shes gotta get herself on a regime of what she likes and can eat safely and the pain will go away, trust me, I must have had IBS since Im born and Im 55 now. The diet is a low fat diet and actually I lost weight in the beginning. She also HAS to snack all day (every few hours on something with soluble fiber) I eat alot of luna bars and pretzels,nature valley honey and oats bars,homemade breads from the book, bagels,bananas etc. I also had severe reflux but hardly know its there eliminating onions,garlic, dairy, red meat, high fats. Good Luck, let her know we are here to help her. She can talk to any one of us at any time by posting and she will have success once she decides that NOT being in pain is IMPORTANT to her!!!!! Happy Holidays!!!

#357249 - 04/02/10 11:13 AM
Gray

Reged: 04/02/10

Thanks for responding!! I told her this morning I was posting a "help wanted" blog and she was good with that. You didn't gain weight with all the breads and high carb snacks??? She does like the Nature Valley honey and oats so I will make sure to get her some of that. Do you know anything about the Fiber One products? Are they too much fiber (insoluable)? She eats those in the am and seems to be good with those, but of course, later in the day she is in pain so maybe it is the Fiber One. We really need to completely retrain ourselves because we were trying to eat "healthy" with lots of fiber and fresh veggies and fruits. Now she knows raw veggies are a no no. Go figure. I did buy the acacia fiber so she will start that. She really doesn't have a lot of diarrhea but tons of constipation and pain accompaning the gas and lack of elimination. The last time she was on powdered fiber it really messed her up so we will go very slow with the acacia. How about crackers as snacks too or something low fat? Eating a few snacks all day really makes sense because when she gets too hungry her whole system goes crazy. Any other food suggestions? Thanks again for helping.

#357389 - 04/05/10 10:39 AM
glasgowgirl

Reged: 09/01/08
Loc: Vancouver, Canada

Hi

I've been on the EFI diet for a year and a half now and I didn't gain any weight. In fact I think I lost a bit.

Also it's a common misconception that EFI is all about bread and rice which are high glycemic index carbs. There's plenty of room for low glycemic index SF like yams, bananas and squash.

Also from the title of your post I'm wondering if treating her IBS is a source of tension between you and your daughter.

--------------------
Stable IBS D

#359604 - 07/05/10 10:59 AM
estkay

Reged: 07/05/09

before i knew i had ibs i would eat fiber one for breakfast because everyone would say the more fiber the better. well all it did was constipate me further and give me terrible gas. she should not cut out her veggies but i eat a ton of veggies. for example for lunch i have start with a baked sweet potato ( without the skin) and then i have a head of lettuce chopped as finely as i can cut it with some lean protein mixed in such as turkey, tuna , chicken .. instead of olive oil i use some avocado for a fat and I season it with salt pepper little lemon juice. Its really delicious , but make sure to chew the salad dont inhale it. I also peel and cook all my veggies very well, and yes i know its healthier to steam veggies and eat the peels but its not good for ppl with ibs. like i said before if she sticks with healthier carbs like sweet potatos, oatmeal, barley, quinoa she should be fine. I find that rice cakes dont bother me its a really great snack for on the go. i also buy the unsweetened applesauce cups, they are very filling . my favorite is chestnuts they sell them roasted and peeled. just be careful not to eat too many because they are high in carbs. good luck with the acacia powder, it didnt work for me , gave me terrible gas but it works differently for everyone. i use citracel capsules. also be sure to excersize regularly and drink lots and lots of fennel tea and water. i also make hot chocolate on those cold winter nights. i use pure cocoa powder and just add some stevia with a little bit of soy milk its yummy.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 69 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 7093

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review