All Boards >> IBS Fitness & Lifestyle Board Discussions

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
workout 2 days a week?
      #351467 - 11/02/09 07:30 AM

Unregistered

could I see any benefits by working out 30-60mins 2 days a week in my ibs? im very limited because I work 5 days a week and ibs is so bad I have to sit down all day and run tot he bathroom when I need to..so I thought what if I work out at night on my 2 days off a week.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: workout 2 days a week? new
      #351468 - 11/02/09 07:41 AM
frygurl

Reged: 08/18/09

Absolutely! Exercise has many health benefits including giving you more energy, a sense of well being, strengthening the efficiency of your entire body, and keeping your immune system strong. In terms of your IBS, regular exercise will tone your digestive tract and help it have more normal contractions.

If you haven't been exercising regularly, start out gently. Don't try to do a hard core cardio work out, because you will probably feel miserable and quit exercising. Maybe even try a yoga video, something like that? Maybe check out your local library for workout DVDs. Or you could take a brisk walk, if you feel safe enough. Good luck!

tone your digestive tract? sounds weird new
      #351473 - 11/02/09 08:28 AM

Unregistered

sounds funny didn't know u could tone your intestines?! anyway I'm on my feet 5.5 hours a day constantly walking and moving I walk up and down stairs 5 times or more a day.

I was gonna go a turbo jam or winsor pilates,or hip hop abs. I own quite a few workout dvds but my ibs is so bad I don't do them.

Re: tone your digestive tract? sounds weird new
      #351478 - 11/02/09 08:56 AM
frygurl

Humans have lots of smooth muscle in their digestive tract that moves stool through. Here's a bit about smooth muscle tone from a Prentice Hall Anatomy book :

"Both multiunit and visceral smooth muscle tissues show a normal background level of activity, or smooth muscle tone. The regulatory mechanisms detailed above stimulate contraction and increase muscle tone. Neural, hormonal, or chemical factors can also stimulate smooth muscle relaxation, producing a decrease in muscle tone. For example, smooth muscle cells at the entrances to capillaries regulate the amount of blood flow into each vessel. If the tissue becomes oxygen-starved, the smooth muscle cells relax. Blood flow increases, delivering additional oxygen. As conditions return to normal, the smooth muscle regains its normal muscle tone. "

Any of the workout DVDs you mentioned will be great to try. I especially like Pilates - builds fantastic core strength.

#351481 - 11/02/09 09:06 AM

Unregistered

maybe someday I would only have to be on the toilet once or twice then be done for the whole day?

#351486 - 11/02/09 09:18 AM
frygurl

Hopefully! But it will take work on your part to get there. The exercise is a great step, as is sticking strictly to a diet that avoids trigger foods.

#351521 - 11/02/09 08:31 PM

Unregistered

does it take a long time to tone the intestines? do I have to have a small tight stomach or does just working out some do the trick?

#351522 - 11/02/09 09:17 PM
frygurl

Think about it more as maintenance than an end goal. Regular physical exercise will keep your digestive tract toned, helping it to function better than if you didn't exercise.

#361888 - 11/04/10 01:28 PM
Tasra

Reged: 11/04/10

Any exercise is good exercise. I would say do it and you won't see results as quickly as someone who works out 5-times a week but I think you'll be surprised with how fit you get. Not only will it help improve your fitness and endurance, but your overall health.

--------------------
Tasra, Health Insurance Advisor

#362953 - 01/16/11 08:35 AM
declanparkes

Reged: 01/16/11

Hello There,

I am a 36 year old guy.
I am suffering Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) disease.
Can anyone tell me about Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) treatment?
What are the reasons of this Disease?
Do you have any idea about its cure?

Thanks.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 80 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 21525

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review