All Boards >> IBS Fitness & Lifestyle Board Discussions

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Thinking of having another child, but on Lomotil
      #350792 - 10/14/09 10:59 AM
nj2va1004

Reged: 10/14/09

Hello Everyone,
I was diagnosed with IBS-D earlier this year. I'm lucky in the sense that I only went a few months without being treated (I thought I had a virus that just needed to pass). My GI actually suffers from IBS so my treatment process has been a swift one. Before being put on Lomotil I was using the bathroom anywhere from 4-8 times a day. It all depended on what I ate and my stress level. I got to the point where I was constantly calling out of work and staying home out of fear of an attack. Lomotil has helped me greatly. It took my body a few months to get used to it, at first I didn't notice a change, but a few months into it and I was finally able to eat again (not like normal, but well enough). There are still some things I steer clear of and some days are better than others, but over all the Lomotil has helped me to the point where I'm able to go out and not have to constantly worry about an attack. My attacks are more predictable (ex. I know if I have too many sweets, coffee, soda, red meats, an attack will happen shortly). My problem is that my husband and I are planning on having another child and I'm afraid of being taken off the lomotil. I know how bad I was before being on Lomotil and can't imagine living like that again. However, I don't want to harm our next child.
I had my 1st daughter at 19 and never had any problems before or during my pregnancy. I started to get IBS attacks when I turned 22. That's when everything started to happen out of the blue. No one in my family has this so I really don't know who to go to for advice on the matter.
I've tried to wean myself off the Lomotil and my IBS was worse. I want to make sure that both my child and I are healthy. But if go off the lomotil I won't be able to eat because everything from stress to water will cause an attack. Has anyone here been pregnant and on Lomotil or any other meds for IBS-D? How have other mothers dealt with IBS-D during pregnancy?

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Thinking of having another child, but on Lomotil new
      #351041 - 10/21/09 06:57 PM
glasgowgirl

Reged: 09/01/08
Loc: Vancouver, Canada

Hi

If you want to get off the Lotomil I would start the diet described on this site.

At the very least ditch the sweets (Heather book has plenty that are IBS safe), coffee, soda and red meats as they are all IBS triggers.

--------------------
Stable IBS D

Other poss anti-D new
      #351463 - 11/01/09 08:18 PM
glasgowgirl

Reged: 09/01/08
Loc: Vancouver, Canada

Though I thoroughly recommend diet and life style changes as being more effective than meds there is Kapec http://www.webmd.com/drugs/drug-6273-Attapulgite+Oral.aspx?drugid=6273&drugname=Attapulgite+Oral&source=1 which is safe for pregnant women. Still I think the EFI diet is a better bet.

--------------------
Stable IBS D

Re: Other poss anti-D new
      #351543 - 11/03/09 10:28 AM
nj2va1004

Reged: 10/14/09

Thanks for the info, I will def. look into it.I found out that I am expecting baby number 2 ! I went to my ENT to be tested for food allergies and he did tell me that more than likely my obgyn will tell me to get off the lomotil. He said there haven't been enough studies on expecting mothers. I tired to slowey go off the lomotil (like not taking it until noon) and redoing my diet, but I still had atttacks, EVERYDAY.It almost seems as if nothing is safe. I printed out the list for the fibers and foods to stay away from, but it seems that nothing is working.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 58 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 5486

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review