All Boards >> IBS Fitness & Lifestyle Board Discussions

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Running is IBS trigger - advice?
      #348080 - 07/15/09 07:18 AM
charwwill

Reged: 07/15/09

Running acts as a very strong IBS trigger for me. It's terribly discouraging because I'd really love to be able to run for exercise. I did some web research and "Runners trots" seems to be common in long distance runners. Unfortunately, I get sick after just a 1 mile run. Does anyone have advice or experience that might help me to control the trigger, so that I can still run?

Thank you SO much for any reply.
Best,
Charlotte

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Running is IBS trigger - advice? new
      #348081 - 07/15/09 07:26 AM
Gerikat

Reged: 06/21/09

That's strange, because exercise is supposed to help. Do you get pain, or just D? If you just get D, maybe take some Immodium as a precaution, about an hour before the run. HTH

#348084 - 07/15/09 08:04 AM
Kappy

Reged: 10/09/08
Loc: Mississippi

More strenuous exercise is harder on someone with D. Running is very traumatic (I read that in an article on WEBMD)

IMO, someone with C needs more strenuous exercise than D. But that's just my opinion.

--------------------
IBS-C, Gas, Bloating, HURTING!

I'm married and it's so wonderful!

#348085 - 07/15/09 08:11 AM
charwwill

yes, I get terrible D and cramping. It's awful. I could try the immodium D, thank you for the suggestion. I try to run about twice per week, so hopefully I will also find a way to deal with this that doesn't have me relying on a drug that often.

#348086 - 07/15/09 08:12 AM
charwwill

Yes, the faster I run, the more intense the exercise, the worse the cramping and D. The only solution I have currently is to jog very slowly. If only my gut could keep up with my cardio fitness.

#348089 - 07/15/09 09:06 AM
Kappy

Oh you poor thing! I love to exercise too. Running is my favorite. It helps my C. I'm so sorry for your distress!

(HUGS)
Kappy

--------------------

#348114 - 07/15/09 06:10 PM
Gerikat

Well, I think it would be better to run a little slower, just so you can get the run in. It's better than not doing something that you want. I don't know if Immodium will help the cramps, because I don't get those, but it should control the D. I know, I only use it on occasion. I don't like to use it. I am A, so most of the time I am C, so when D hits, I do a little Immodium if I am going out.

Another thought! Do you run outside? I know that is more enjoyable, but have you thought about a treadmill? That way you will be close to a bathroom, and you can run as hard as will allow.

Have you thought about trying to do a different cardio? After all, something is better than nothing at all. Maybe switch your cardio, and slow it down a bit, and build to a level you can tolerate.

Heather may have some ideas on this, also.

Dancing is great cardio - I LOVE yoga booty ballet - nt new
      #348133 - 07/16/09 07:23 AM
Kappy

--------------------

Re: Dancing is great cardio - I LOVE yoga booty ballet - nt new
      #348154 - 07/16/09 05:53 PM
Gerikat

Kappy, what the heck is this? It sounds so interesting. Please share!

#348156 - 07/17/09 01:00 AM
charwwill

Thank you both for the replies and advice. I will try just taking it slowly, see if I can build up a tolerance for it. and will try imodium AD to start.
Best, Charlotte

Beachbody.com new
      #348165 - 07/17/09 10:55 AM
Kappy

Go to beachbody.com. They have these DVD's called yoga booty ballet. It mixes dance (cardio) with yoga to get your booty in shape! It's fun too. The dances are so much fun!

It is great exercise and it helped me lose about 15 lbs two years ago. I still have the DVDs, I just do different exercises all the time. Variety is key to exercise.

--------------------

Thanks!- nt new
      #348180 - 07/17/09 06:20 PM
Gerikat

#348196 - 07/18/09 09:27 AM
glasgowgirl

Reged: 09/01/08
Loc: Vancouver, Canada

I did run for a while but it was so tough on my knee I had to give it up. I found this article on the mayo clinic website http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/runners-diarrhea/AN00376. I would ignore the bit about the no fibre as I think their getting their IF and SF mixed up.

Cycling would be good if you want to do cardio. It easier on the body and the trots are less of a issue.

--------------------
Stable IBS D

glasgow girl new
      #348210 - 07/18/09 10:58 AM
Gerikat

When I click on the link, it says error?

Re: glasgow girl new
      #348214 - 07/18/09 07:25 PM
glasgowgirl

Reged: 09/01/08
Loc: Vancouver, Canada

Isn't that strange it's http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/runners-diarrhea/AN00376. However I just googled runners D and it popped up. Maybe a search of the runners world forum would bring up more suggestions. I did once find a article on the ruunners world site - don't know where it is now - that said in most people runners d subsides the more they run however they never mentioned IBS in the article.

The link I posted does make some interesting points about staying hydrated and avoiding sweeteners.

Mixing in faster runs with a walking on jogging might help. It's called Farklek (no joke) training.

--------------------
Stable IBS D

#348688 - 08/03/09 07:45 AM
sjm

Reged: 08/03/09
Loc: Canada

I'm a runner (prefer long distances but normally can't fit in the training time, so more often stick to 10K or so), female, 55, and love it so much! (took it up 5 years ago). C is my problem, so the running helps. But for both C and D problems, the idea as I understand it is to get to a middle ground. Two things that help stabilize both conditions are listening to the Hypnotherapy for IBS CDs, and using Heather's Acacia 100% soluble fibre on a daily basis. I haven't yet managed to listen to all of the hypnotherapy sessions, as my busy lifestyle keeps interfering, but even just listening to them for 20 days or so, from time to time, has had an obvious beneficial effect, and I highly recommend them for the IBS but also for having a positive effect on well-being in general (and some day I WILL get through all of them!). Are you doing either of these two approaches?

#348939 - 08/11/09 04:54 PM
samy38

Reged: 08/09/09

I tend to run 3-4 miles but I have to be careful as well. I suffer mainly from Diarrhea and I have to run before I eat or on an empty stomach. I have also taken Mylanta before I run as this tends to bind my up. I am not sure that this is the best approach but it works for me. I have also found that if I push myself too much, I get intestinal cramps etc. Thus I have accepted that I may never be fast but I can complete a run. I just do not run on days in which I am really having difficulty with IBS.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 90 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 21008

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review