All Boards >> IBS Fitness & Lifestyle Board Discussions

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Irritable Being Syndrome
      #347535 - 06/25/09 08:30 AM
feslick

Reged: 06/25/09

I am a 58 year old male living in Costa Rica. About 6 months I began to experience symptoms that are similar to IBS. As the symptoms became unbearable I finally sought out medical help. I had every test known to man except an MRI. I've had an Endoscopy, colonoscopy, Catscan, Ultrasound and many blood tests. Nothing showed up except the good news that I didn't have cancer or some other life threatening disease.

My doctor doesn't believe that I have IBS because she says it doesn't usually happen this late in life and the serious weight loss I've experienced is unusual with IBS. I decided that I was going to try your treatment anyway and see so I purchased the mint pill and acacia fiber kit. I've been using for a couple weeks. It has offered some relief but nothing like I hoped for. Still I simply don't want to eat anything but am constantly hungry.

Here are some symptoms I experience that I haven't heard much about from your website or others.
Severe depression that came when the digestive problem started.
Whenever I eat I suffer an immediate and severe energy loss. I have very little energy anyway but eating compounds it.
I have fatigue in my legs frequently. Often it is tiring to just walk 50 feet to the kitchen.
IBS for me should translate Irritable Being Syndrome. If I were my wife and children I would have left me months ago. I am not a fun nor easy person to be around anymore.

It is hard for me to get my head around the idea that this could be a "rest of my life" thing but it sounds like that the IBS never goes away and only becomes more tolerable for some. Living where I do makes it even more difficult as it is very remote with nothing but 1 country doctor and very limited food choices in the stores.

If anyone has some suggestions, comments or a magic pill I am not just open but desparate.

Fred Eslick
La Virgen Sarapiqui, Costa Rica

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Irritable Being Syndrome new
      #347537 - 06/25/09 10:46 AM
Runs No Fun

Reged: 12/02/08
Loc: Long Island, NY

Fred,

I've related to many other members' stories here but none as well as to yours. It's uncanny how similar I feel as to what you've written.

I'm a 58 year old male, too, and the only difference between us in your first paragraph is that I DID have an MRI done. Otherwise you took the exact words that I've used out of my mouth (especially about realizing that cancer was ruled out).

Also, I have the exact same problem with my legs. I've been to two orthopedic surgeons who swear I need both of my hips replaced (x-rays showed bone deterioration) but I'm not believing it... I keep telling my doctor that the pain and discomfort in them is muscular and not joint-related. He's done blood tests to see if anything shows muscular issues and has only found that my folic acid is low (and has prescribed some supplement for me). I have been using a cane for three months and there are some days (most days, actually) that it is painful and tiring to just walk 100 feet.

I feel tired all the time... a monthly vitamin B-12 shot helps for a day or two but it doesn't last any longer.

MY IBS is diarrhea related, and for the past two years I've suffered with it. Lately it is not as bad as it had been... I just went two whole weeks without any symptoms but had a relapse on Tuesday.

I went to see a shrink to get treatment for depression but all he did was to prescribe meds which didn't agree with me.

Fred, I don't mean to make your issues all about me; rather I'm trying to show you that you are not alone in the issues. I wish I had some positive ideas or suggestions for you but I just wanted to let you know that what you are going through is not unique to you.

Hang in there!

--------------------
Saul (IBS - D)

#347550 - 06/25/09 03:31 PM
erindAdministrator

Reged: 03/19/08
Loc: Seattle, WA

I felt compelled to respnd to this post because it seems like noone has been able to help you. Have you been screened for small intestinal bacterial overgrowth? Parasites? Have you been evaluated for food sensitivities or celiac (gluten intolerance)? This can look a lot like IBS but is actually an immune reaction to certain foods. People with IBS often also have food sensitivities as well. Or, sometimes people think they have IBS when it really is just food sensitivities alone. If you followed the instructions for the acacia and have made the dietary changes Heather talks about in her books but still didn't see improvement, you probably either don't have IBS or have something else like food sensitivities going on at the same time. This can make it difficult to stabilize IBS. I would recommend finding a nutritionist, naturopath, or other provider that is familiar with elimination diets to identify foods you may be reacting to. You may also want to make sure you don't have concentrated levels of heavy metals. Try www.naturopathic.org to find a good provider in your area. Once you remove the offending foods from your diet, you may be able to get everything under control. Here's a great website that explains allergies and sensitivities if you want to learn more http://www.womentowomen.com/inflammation/allergies.aspx.

I hope this helps!
Erin

--------------------
Erin Dudley, MS, CN
Certified Nutritionist
Heather's Tummy Care / Heather & Company for IBS, LLC
IBS Education, Support, & Products
Toll Free: 866 640 4942 Direct: 206 264 8069 Fx: 206 264 8072
80 S. Washington St. #304, Seattle, WA 98104 USA

Patient Support Site: HelpForIBS.com
Wholesale Accounts: HeathersTummyCare.com
Co-Packing Services

Join Heather's IBS Newsletter Here
Join us on Facebook!
Join us on MySpace!

LEGAL DISCLAIMER - This email is not intended to replace the services of a physician, nor does it constitute a doctor-patient relationship. Any application of the recommendations in this email is at the reader's discretion. Heather Van Vorous and Heather & Company for IBS, LLC are not liable for any direct or indirect claim, loss or damage resulting from use of this email and/or any web site(s) linked to/from it. Readers should consult their own physicians concerning the recommendations in this email

#347553 - 06/25/09 04:45 PM
Gerikat

Reged: 06/21/09

I am so sorry for your pain. May I share something I have come to know from my own experience. Psychological and gastrointestinal issues seem, most times, to go hand in hand.

My anxiety came before my IBS, but now it seems to be a vicious circle. At times of great anxiety, my IBS is more bothersome. For me, I never had an issue with IBS, until I was not quite there mentally. With meditation, exercise, and finding ways to release the anxiety, my IBS is very tolerable now.

So, I think maybe the severe depression may be playing into your issues. It seems what affects the brain, affects the gut, and what affects the gut, affects the brain. And so it is with IBS.

I hope you find your answers. Everyone seems to have their own journey. It may be a "rest of your life" issue, but it is manageable and believe it or not, life can get better.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 274 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 4387

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review