All Boards >> IBS Fitness & Lifestyle Board Discussions

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
an interesting, helpful idea
      #344440 - 04/14/09 06:23 AM
maggieo

Reged: 01/08/08

I have suffered with IBS probably all my life but it has gotten acute in the last 2 1/2 years. I have tried everything. And I mean everything. The tea and the fiber help a lot but I never found anything that actually improved my quality of life. I have to say that my biggest problem was the constipation then followed by huge blowouts that were so painful that I thought sometimes I needed to go to the hospital. Over the last month I have found that by simply massaging my abdomen once a day I am able to encourage regular movements and my IBS is under control for the first time ever. I am not saying it's a cure. I still watch what I eat and almost never eat red meat which seems to be my biggest trigger. But this has provided me with more peace of mind than anything else I have ever tried. It might help you too. I hope so. If you massage your abdomen you can sometimes feel where things are 'knotted up' and you can gently exert pressure there. Look at a picture of bowels first so you can massage with the natural flow of things. If this helps just one more person I will have done something for today!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: an interesting, helpful idea new
      #344445 - 04/14/09 06:43 AM
Kappy

Reged: 10/09/08
Loc: Mississippi

Thank you for the helpful hint! I am going to try this. I know what you mean about the constipation leading to blowouts. I feel like that every other day! I try to massage my abdomen some, but I don't think I ever do it enough. Thank you again, and congratulations on getting this awful thing "under control"!

--------------------
IBS-C, Gas, Bloating, HURTING!

I'm married and it's so wonderful!

#344509 - 04/15/09 05:41 AM
dragonfly

Reged: 05/12/08
Loc: canada

This works for both c and d its called colonic massage. works wonders for me when I can feel the bloat and gas just waiting in there for an explosion.I do it while in the bathroom and within 10 to 20 seconds I get the relief i was looking for.

--------------------
IBS-D since 1999...mostly stable..i do cheat too.Bad me.

#344514 - 04/15/09 06:14 AM
Rebecca1013

Reged: 04/05/09
Loc: Catasauqua Pennsylvania

which way do i have to rub for this to work?? i usually just lay with my butt in the air hoping things move lol

#344523 - 04/15/09 07:54 AM
Kappy

Reged: 10/09/08
Loc: Mississippi

Haha, poor thing, I'm sorry to laugh, but I do the same thing, Todd thinks I'm crazy. Lying on my belly really helps for a bit of relief, but it doesn't seem to last long. But the massage works well! I laid on my stomach last night (with my butt in the air ) and then laid on my back and massaged, it worked wonders! Then I got a big, hot glass of ginger tea and the bloat was gone!

You need to start on the lower right side of your abdomen and rub up, across to the left, and then down. That is the way your colon flows. I usually do circles, but I don't want to say clock wise or counter clock wise, because I'm confused when I do it to myself oops, can't get it right. I think its clockwise with my hand, but looking at it would be counter-clockwise..... I don't know just go with the first part up, over, and down.

--------------------
IBS-C, Gas, Bloating, HURTING!

I'm married and it's so wonderful!

#344531 - 04/15/09 10:08 AM
maggieo

Reged: 01/08/08

Every night before I go to sleep, or sometimes while I am laying on the couch watching tv I use my knuckles to push on my abdomen.. usually starting at my ascending colon and across the abdomen high under my rib cage then down my descending colon. Sometimes I just push in random places. I can actually feel 'knots' and so sometimes I just push on them and I have, for the first time in my life had regular, formed, solid bowel movements for the past two weeks. DAILY!!!!! I would sometimes go 8 or 9 days without a movement. This has changed my life. And it's so simple. Don't push so hard you hurt yourself but a little pressure is good. GOOD LUCK!

#344536 - 04/15/09 12:42 PM
Rebecca1013

Reged: 04/05/09
Loc: Catasauqua Pennsylvania

Thanks for the tips guys....I am so gonna be rubbing my belly tonite, or maybe I'll just get the "old man" to do it for me lol

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 39 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 5896

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review