All Boards >> IBS Fitness & Lifestyle Board Discussions

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
confused about weight loss
      #341726 - 02/06/09 04:02 AM
kwyles

Reged: 02/06/09
Loc: South Australia

I was diagnosed with IBS only about 18 months ago, but have been suffering from it for about 6 years I think. In the last 18 months I've tried so many different diets (gluten free, fructose free, elimination etc) that I'm almost at the end of my tether. So far the IBS diet makes a lot of sense to me and I'm slowly incorporating it into my life.

I've recently come home (Australia) from 2 months in Thailand, where the food was fantastic and mostly agreed with my stomach really well. Since being home, things have gone downhill again. However, in Thailand I managed to put on a few kgs that I'd like to get rid of. I've started going to the gym and I'm starting to run, and I also do tai chi twice a week.

What I'm wondering is about food. Most weight loss diets recommend small meals of high protein food, no snacking and I've also been told not to have carbs after 4pm. This sounds like hell to me. I've always been a "grazer" in that I eat small amounts regularly throughout the day. I'm currently studying nursing and doing shift work, which makes eating regularly sort of difficult since I can't really eat other than during my breaks (which are irregular at best). What is the best way to eat so that I can lose weight? I only need to lose around 5kg, but even that has been a struggle for me in recent times. Is it best to eat 3 square meals per day or graze? Is it best to avoid certain food before/after a workout?

I find all this conflicting information about diets/weight loss very frustrating. Any help is greatly appreciated.

-kwyles

--------------------
---
kat
IBS-A + gas and bloating

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: confused about weight loss new
      #342946 - 03/06/09 08:23 PM
Meower55

Reged: 06/24/08
Loc: Beaverton, Oregon

I'm a grazer, too, and was one before the IBS diagnosis. Grazing seems to fit well with IBS because it allows us to keep something in our colons so they don't go haywire and cause grief.

This doesn't sound good to me either: "Most weight loss diets recommend small meals of high protein food, no snacking and I've also been told not to have carbs after 4pm. This sounds like hell to me."

"High protein food" often seems to mean meat, etc. I know someone who snacks on pieces of cooked chicken. Great for her, but I can't do that. Luna bars have a reasonable mix of IF & SF, about 9 grams of protein and they taste pretty good, too. I like pretzels sometimes, but they're not high protein.

Are you able to cook some of the same foods you ate in Thailand? Since they were good for your IBS, maybe you can find the necessary spices there. We have Korean, Asian and Japanese markets within about 5 miles of my home, so I'm lucky that way. But I don't know how to cook Asian foods so haven't tried any.

There have been posts about snacks before - I'll bet you'd find some good suggestions if you do a search of All Forums.

Best wishes,

--------------------
Nancy

#342958 - 03/07/09 08:16 AM
glasgowgirl

Reged: 09/01/08
Loc: Vancouver, Canada

I believe dieting expert recommend high protein foods as these make you feel fuller. However high fiber foods also make you feel full. I lost around 20 pounds when my IBS started to kick in last year which actually left me at a very healthy and happy weight. I do follow the EFI diet and I haven't gained a any weight. I do try to take at least a 20 minute walk each day since I'm pretty much desk bound at work but other than that I don't do any vigorous exercise.

--------------------
Stable IBS D

#343071 - 03/09/09 05:47 PM

Unregistered

I find myself so frustrated because I just keep gaining weight. I am at an all time high now because I just had two back surgeries and I can only walk about a half a mile a day when I am used to at least three miles. But even with the three miles a day, at least twenty minutes on my Nordic Track and running one mile, I still could not loose weight. I suffer from extreme C and feel so out of shape and miserable. I hear people here saying that the IBS diet helped them loose weight. How is that possible when I am adding in all the refined things I have been taking out of my diet for years? I feel so discouraged and confused. I need to loose this weight but it wont budge.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 117 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 4976

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review