All Boards >> IBS Fitness & Lifestyle Board Discussions

View all threads Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Seeking Advice/Suggestions re: My GI Doctor's Recommendations
      #340691 - 01/11/09 10:09 AM
Kata

Reged: 01/11/09

Hello Everyone. I am not sure if this is the right board to be posting my questions to or not. I figured I would try it anyway.

I have been battling with IBS since at least 2005. Last year, upon the recommendation of another post I started using the probiotic Bio-K. I think it has made a difference. With this new year upon us I am also making an effort to incorporate Heather's Acacia Fiber into my diet gradually.

I have problems with D and gas/bloating. I believe the root of my problem is sleep deprivation due to work and stress (I am an associate lawyer). I have tried to incorporate yoga into my nightly routine to clear my mind before bed. I also work out almost every day and have banned coffee and soft drinks from my diet (as well as other trigger foods), at least during the week (some Saturdays I give into a hot cocoa).

I hadn't been to my GI doctor in a while so I visited with him this past week. He made several suggestions and I wanted to know if similar suggestions had been made to any of you and the results.

My doctor told me I should forget taking the Bio-K b/c it doesn't taste good and there are other things out there that are better. He suggested something called Align. As for gas flare ups, he recommended "complete relief." I found it on-line and it claims to be helpful for IBS. He also recommended "Digestive Advantage." And, he prescribed a medication called "glycopyrrolate" too. Honestly, I am not even sure what that was for which simply added to the frustration. As for food and other remedies he mentioned "Bitters," carob, and chamomile. I do drink chamomile tea so that was no surprise. He also prescribed "elavil" to help with sleep in combination with another medication I am on for sleep.

I also live in the South where it gets extremely hot and humid. I think this is a factor too, although my doctor had never heard of that attributing to IBS.

I am contemplating accupuncture at this point,which my doctor seemed somewhat supportive of, because the massages I have been getting are starting to get pretty expensive!

I left the doctor's office feeling very frustrated. I really do think I, along with Heather and this board, know more about IBS than doctors sometimes.

I'd appreciate any insightful comments or suggestions.

Thanks a ton-
K

"Be the change you wish to see in the world...." Ghandi

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Seeking Advice/Suggestions re: My GI Doctor's Recommendations new
      #340702 - 01/11/09 06:17 PM
glasgowgirl

Reged: 09/01/08
Loc: Vancouver, Canada

I live in Canada so I can't buy Align but it's had good results for others. However if your doing well on the bio K then feel free to stick with it. Try searching for Align on the boards to find discussions about it.

If you don't want to do acupunture try the hypnotherapy CDS <you can find them on this site for less than $100>. They're clinically proven to help IBS through strengthening the mind gut link and reducing anxiety.

Maybe you could talk your firm into bringing a yoga instructor to take classes for the employees. Either as a freebie or on a drop fee basis. Most yoga teachers are free lance so they'd jump at the chance of a permanent gig.

Hot humid weather can most definitely be a IBS trigger. I can't tell you how much the thought of living in a hot area fills me with dread. I've already told my partner we can't move to the interior of BC because of the heat. Luckily we lived in rainy Vancouver where we're never overly bothered by hot weather.

--------------------
Stable IBS D

#340707 - 01/11/09 08:00 PM
Kata

Reged: 01/11/09

Thanks for the suggestions. I searched Align through the message boards and got mixed reviews. Trial and error, I guess. I am stocked up on the Bio-K (which I truly think tastes pretty bad) because I think it may be helping.

I have actually used the hynotherapy cds and I think they did help. I definitely need to work on the balance factor and sleep. That is so crucial for me.

I am thinking acupuncture is the next step. I am hopeful.

I will just plan on sticking to the diet (avoiding high fat foods and such) and see how the Bio-K works once we are in the warm humid months again--right around the corner. I literally feel bloated in my pants and am gaseous. I was just shocked that my doctor had never made the connection. If the Bio-K isn't working, then I will give the Align a shot too.

Patience is a virtue...truly.

Thanks for your advice--I appreciate it b/c it is nice to know that there are others experiencing the same thing.

K

"Be the change you wish to see in the world...." Ghandi

#340790 - 01/13/09 06:45 PM
mika from france

Reged: 01/13/09

yeah you 're absolutely right,sometimes seeing my doctor makes me feeling worse, these guys seems to have no idea of what we are fighting... my doctor give me anxyolitics, antispasmodics and prescrive me to swimm... hush...
i've read a intersting article in a magazine showing that peaople suffering of IBS have a low level of good bacteria in the colon so i trully think that taking pobiotics is a safe approach...

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 187 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 4425

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review