All Boards >> IBS Fitness & Lifestyle Board Discussions

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Need Colonoscopy?
      #340600 - 01/08/09 06:27 PM
Summer67

Reged: 01/08/09

I was wondering if I could get a few opinions. I have had IBS for over five years, and today for the first time, met my new doctor, who now wants me to get tests from both ends. My first doctor had me try the diet to see if it could be IBS, and all my symptoms have always been related to that. IM wondering if there is a need to do this test. Just the thought of the fasting and what it will do to my tummy freaks me out :shocked: Thanks for anyones input.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Need Colonoscopy? new
      #340602 - 01/08/09 08:16 PM
Runs No Fun

Reged: 12/02/08
Loc: Long Island, NY

Hi Summer,

You didn't state how old you are but if I guess by your screen name I'd say you're over 40. If you are, in fact, over 40 I'd suggest having the colonoscopy. It MAY help diagnose something related to IBS and it MAY also show some other conditions.

Personally, I'm of the belief that a day of preparation (even if it is bothersome) is a small price to pay for piece of mind. God willing, the doctor won't find anything wrong and you won't have to take the procedure for at least another five years.

I assure you, the cleaning out process before the test itself is the most bothersome part of the whole thing. The test is totally painless.

Good luck.

--------------------
Saul (IBS - D)

#340608 - 01/09/09 06:32 AM
steph312

Reged: 08/05/07
Loc: Florida

I agree with Saul, the prep is the worst part, the test itself is painless. I was only 33 when I had one done almost two years ago so I was pretty freaked out about having it done too, but my IBS had gotten so bad I didn't really care what they did to me. I wanted to make sure nothing else was wrong. Good luck

Stephanie IBS (D)

#340609 - 01/09/09 08:22 AM
4mar

Loc: Van Nuys, California

I was really freaked out when I was told I needed a colonoscopy and endoscopy. However, I found that the prep before hand was not that bad and the procedure was painless and over before I knew it. I was very surprised about how easy it was. It was very important for my doctors and me to know nothing else was causing my symptoms. Try to relax - it's worth going through it.
Mary

#340637 - 01/09/09 05:48 PM
Summer67

Hi Saul,

You are pretty correct on my age.IM 41 going on 42. I have had IBS since I have been about 35. My first doctor did not want to put me through too many tests due to my age and no history in the family for anything else. So he had me try the diet and it worked. I am still on the fence about getting the procedure done. I think its how my digestive system is going to take a toll, I dont seem to bounce back when I dont eat correctly. Thank you for the advice though.

#340638 - 01/09/09 05:51 PM
Summer67

Hi Mary,

Thank you so much with the information. There are several things that are freaking me out right now. I have never had a sedative, I am completely afraid of anthing down my throat, and then the side effects of my digestive system wrecking havoc. IM not sure what IM going to do yet. My IBS is for the most part under control, which makes me luckier then so many. Its great to have so much input from others though.

#340671 - 01/10/09 03:56 PM
4mar

Loc: Van Nuys, California

Hi Summer,
I know how you feel. I just want to let you know that the endoscopy was over before I even knew it. I fact, I didn't even know they had started and finished. I had no sore throat or anything. I hope this helps. I understand how scary it all is. Good luck!
Mary

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 97 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 8349

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review