All Boards >> IBS Fitness & Lifestyle Board Discussions

View all threads Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
I can't stop losing weight. HELP!
      #339024 - 12/07/08 01:16 PM
Jason63

Reged: 10/14/08

In June I was diagnosed with IBS-D. I was very concerned and began a huge lifestyle change with my diet and exercise. Since my doctor's provided little diet help, I found Heather's book and have been following it for roughly 3 months. I'm 6'6" and weighed 270 in June. I now weigh 210. It seems every month I drop another ten pounds and I'm eating the same foods. Any thoughts on what I can do to stabilize my weight? I'm glad I dropped it but I don't want to drop any more.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: I can't stop losing weight. HELP! new
      #339040 - 12/08/08 05:33 AM
Runs No Fun

Reged: 12/02/08
Loc: Long Island, NY

Jason, are you still having issues with diarrhea? Do you have any severe stress in your life now?

--------------------
Saul (IBS - D)

#339045 - 12/08/08 07:51 AM
Jason63

I as far as the D is concerned initially I was going quite a bit. For the last 3 months I have it maybe only 1-3 times a month. (Not to be gross here but while I consider my BM's to be solid they usually look like a bile of chips rather than a couple of logs so I consider that to be solid). As far as stress is concerned, I definitely have levels of it. Some days better than others. I think after the holidays I may try cognitive behavioral therapy to help bolster the mental side of my IBS. Having IBS in general has been difficult for me to embrace anyway (just diagnosed in June).

#339053 - 12/08/08 09:57 AM
Runs No Fun

Reged: 12/02/08
Loc: Long Island, NY

Alright, keep in mind that I'm strictly amateurish in diagnosing this stuff, so I'll speak from personal experience.

It sounds as though the IBS is in some sort of remission. Having diarrhea 1-3 times a month can be a result of eating something bad (i.e. something with a very high fat content). What troubles me (and I expect you as well) is hearing that you're continuing to lose a good deal of weight each month.

Many years ago, after my wife died, I went through a similar time. I had weighed about 200 pounds when she passed away and maintained that for a few months. About six months later I started to lose weight. At first I thought it was due to the fact that I was eating my own cooking (not very good) but, like you, I was happy I was losing weight (I'm 5'10" and I was too fat anyway). The weight continued to come off even though I was eating a lot (I used to be able to eat anything then - pizza, pasta, etc.). I got to the point I was trying Ensure and other drinks like that in the hopes I'd keep my weight level steady. When I got down to about 160 pounds I started to get worried and went for a complete physical. Nothing bad showed up.

To make a long story short, I soon figured it I was stressed by being alone and facing the fact that I'd be "dating" again soon. Co-workers and friends were wondering if I had AIDS or some other serious disease because I started to look skeletal. Then, for no apparent reason, the weight loss stopped and I slowly started putting weight back on. I can only guess that my stressful period was over then.

Jason, the holidays can certainly trigger a stressful time, and I hope that as soon as they're over you'll stop losing weight. Hang in there, and it's good you're taking a positive step (i.e. behavorial therapy), but you may also consider getting a complete physical to rule out any ailment.

Good luck!!

--------------------
Saul (IBS - D)

#339088 - 12/08/08 07:22 PM
osbo54

Reged: 09/04/08

I agree!

#339253 - 12/12/08 03:34 AM
jay219

Reged: 11/17/08

Hey, i am going through a very similar problem right now.

I was diagnosed in october, and ever since i have been losing weight steadily. At first i assumed this was down to the huge diet changes i made (I used to eat a lot of fast food). I am now sure that stress and anxiety caused a vast amount of weight loss for me. Once i had started to resolve those issues it seemed to stabalize.

I was only 64kg to begin with, and at 5'11 i had no excess weight anyway. Now i believe my weight loss has stopped, but the task of putting on those kilos again seems daunting, especially with the eating for IBS diet! Its early days yet but i am starting to look more healthy.

Also, you mention that you have started to excerise more- it can take a while for the metabolism to get used to these changes, but im sure your body will adjust as long as you are eating enough complex carbs etc. Consider seing a dietician who could be of help here.

Finally, i believe my own weight loss stopped due to a reduction in stress and the way i achieved this is through deep relaxation and the IBS audio program 100. I cant tell you how much of a physical effect stress can have on IBS and the body in general. So now that you have your diet more or less stable, consider treating any stress or anxiety in your life as a way of ceasing this annoying weight loss.

Hope this helps, let me know how you get on,
Jamie

#339305 - 12/12/08 01:31 PM
Jason63

Thanks Jamie for the information. I believe this may be the root of my problem. As I stated in a previous correspondence it's definitely been hard to accept IBS in general in my life. Since probably like you it hit me with no warning. I'll definitely take your advice and pursue other roads of stress relief (outside of excercise) to help me "mentally" come to grips with IBS & my weight. Hopefully that will help me. Thanks again and hope you are doing well.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 25 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 6679

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review