All Boards >> IBS Fitness & Lifestyle Board Discussions

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
eating before and after exercise.
      #329746 - 05/14/08 08:36 AM

Unregistered

I know that I'm suposed to eat before and after exercise. If im only working out for an hour or less a small snack,low fat and high in carbs,but not fiber..http://www.goaskalice.columbia.edu/3306.html
I was wondering if bow tie pasta is high in fiber,the box said carbs 41g(14%) and fiber 2g(8%) I ate about a cup,i work up an hour ago and didnt eat breakfast,so is eating that amount and going to exercise now good? I feel a little hungry. I have to exercise in the morning and get it done with because i have to deal with my ibs because i have to work over 5 hours on my feet all day...
Also,would it slow me down to drink a few cups of hot fennel tea before working out? because i really need that in the morning...

I have another question,I am out of shape and just begining work out dvds,winsor pilates,turbo jam,I have some other ones..but I desire this body http://home.mchsi.com/~dcerveny/ashley_massaro.jpg (minus the fake breasts) I dont know how to get my body to look like that..She is from WWE,if anyone knows her routine,please share.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: eating before and after exercise. new
      #329852 - 05/16/08 05:43 AM
Barbara50

Reged: 09/26/07
Loc: Texas

HI. I am 58 and have worked out most of my life to stay in shape. I let myself go when I hit 50 and gained about 40 pounds in two years. I signed up with a fitness trainer to get me back on the road to good health. I am still working out with a trainer 2 days a week primarily because he pushes me when I won't push myself. When I was in my 30s I had workout buddies who I met at the gym and worked out with. It really helps to have someone to be accountable to. You absolutely have to be patient. It took me 6 months to simply get to the point that my body was used to working out and to get my diet under control so that I was losing weight steadily. It took nearly 3 years to lose all of the weight I had gained and over 4 years to get some muscle definition back in my legs, arms and abs. As for eating to workout -- I have always found that I must practice good nutrition all the time in order to have the energy to get through a stringent one hour workout and eating just before I workout just makes me sluggish and sometimes even nauseous. On the days I workout I make sure that I have good nutrition for breakfast, morning snack, lunch and afternoon snack. The body needs carbs, fat and protein for proper fuel. Carbs are especially important and need to be complex carbs like pasta (yes bowtie pasta is good), baked white and sweet potatoes and rice. It is important that you don't load any of these up with butter or sugar, etc. If I workout in the morning I make sure I eat a solid evening meal, get a bedtime snack that has both carbs and protein (a fruit shake is good made with almond milk and rice protein powder and strawberries or blueberries). If I am working out first thing I usually don't eat anything but I do drink my tea with fiber powder in it and I add a little sugar for energy. If I am working out mid morning I have breakfast of IBS safe pancakes (made with heart healthy bisquik and almond milk) and scrambled egg beaters. Since you have IBS you must be very careful in trying to follow a lot of the "fitness" diets. They don't work for us at all. However, I know from experience you can eat IBS safe and healthy and have plenty of energy to workout.

--------------------
IBS-D, Gas & Bloating

Barbara50

#334052 - 08/05/08 03:41 PM
artimmersion

Reged: 08/04/08

I am not trying to lose weight but I have been finding it harder and harder to keep up a good workout routine. I think it might be because I have gotten into the habit of eating little snacks every 1-2 hours and not having any real meals, so I am really short on energy. I'm going to try to get back into eating some bigger meals.

--------------------
food allergies: soy, dairy, peas, lentils...& more
IBS-A
nausea, dizziness, fatigue
when will it end?

http://artimmersion.etsy.com

#334476 - 08/12/08 07:42 AM
IBSrunner

Reged: 07/25/08
Loc: California

Wow what a great message. Thank you for writing about your experience!

--------------------
IBS-C Gas and constant Bloating

#335354 - 08/27/08 04:22 PM
cooking4six

Reged: 08/19/08
Loc: Southwest, US

Great story Barbara and great profile too. It's nice to know people are not letting their Dr.'s off the hook when they shrug their shoulders and say "live with it". Before IBS I was very adventurous, never though twice about leaving the house for the whole day until I got pregnant. My IBS peeked in the summer of 2006 and I thought my life was over and the only place I'd ever go was the bathroom.
With four kids that wasn't an option. So, I reworked my diet and my attitude. Now, I leave the house prepared to calm any tummy trouble that could start up.
Regarding eating and exercise: I eat light before a heavy workout. Don't feel like you have to eat if you're doing a light workout. However, if you workout in the AM, have your tea w/fiber and maybe a slice of toast w/peanut butter and banana slices. Eat slow and relax then give yourself 20-30 minutes to digest. After a workout, it's best to eat within an hour (when your metabolism is still high) but only eat if you're hungry. Learning the signs of when you're startling to get hungry is really important. Feed yourself before you're starving! It's like listening to a newborn. You feed them when you first hear the "I'm hungry" cry before it becomes the "I'm too hungry and frustrated to stop crying" cry.
Finally: I too was petrified that I'd gain a ton of weight if I ate the IBS diet. As a dance instructor, it was hard enough trying to figure out how to teach w/out abandoning students for a trip to the bathroom. I didn't want to gain weight and have to squeeze myself into a leotard when my confidence was already plummeting. But no fear! The dietary changes DIDN'T cause weight gain. And to this day my tummy feels best when I'm dancing!
So, good luck with your workouts and listen to your body.
Dana

--------------------
IBS-A

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 222 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 7267

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review