All Boards >> IBS Fitness & Lifestyle Board Discussions

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
need help with running shoes!
      #328467 - 04/18/08 07:29 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

I need to buy new running shoes. I have tried on many and none feel right. I need some brand advice; there must be a brand out there that will fit me. My feet are shaped like a duck, broad across the top with tiny heels. They never seem to fit my heels. The pair I have right now are avia and probably didn't fit perfectly to begin with but I'm used to them. Please help or give information sources.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: need help with running shoes! new
      #328470 - 04/19/08 02:42 AM
sienie

Reged: 04/15/08

i have wide feet and find that brooks dyad and asics fortitude both work for me...hope this helps...and hope you don't mind my asking but how do you keep your colitis under control when running...thanks...sienie

um I don't have it at all new
      #328504 - 04/19/08 04:55 PM
Little Minnie

must be someone else.
Thanks for the info. I will try those!

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

#328541 - 04/20/08 03:43 PM
Toady

Reged: 04/06/06
Loc: A small city, Northwestern Ontario, Canada

You might also try looking for Ryka shoes. They are made by and designed for women - narrow heels and wide forefoot.
They have specific for cross training, running, and aerobics, depending what you use them for. If it's just for general, then a cross trainer is good. They were the only runners I could find wide enough for me that my heels didn't slide out of. I have had 2 surgeris for bunion / bunionette so I understand how difficult it is to buy shoes for a wide foot. Now I live in Buerkenstock sandals. I look cute at work in a suit and sandals but I don't care, my feet don't hurt!

Good luck.

--------------------
Cassandra

Live like there's no tomorrow. Love like you've never loved before.

IBS A 20+ years, Chronic Migraines, Chiari Malformation (decompressed June 22, 2010), Brachial Neuritis, and ??? the list just keeps growing, but I'm still shiny side up!

appreciate the suggestion new
      #328619 - 04/21/08 05:01 PM
Little Minnie

I actually do have a pair of Ryka walking shoes. I ordered them online and they were never very comfy. The top part presses into my foot a bit. But I didn't realize they were good for wide feet.

--------------------

#328749 - 04/23/08 05:26 PM
Zara

Reged: 06/07/06

I found that even within the same brand different styles of shoes fit different. My ultimate favorite has been Adidas Response. I had a pair a few years ago and pretty much wore it down. When I needed a new pair I tried different styles of Nike sneakers and got a pair that fit very well and was comfortable in the store. But when I took them running I realized that they didn't have nearly as much cushioning as the Adidas ones. So I went online and ordered these . I have to say I'm very happy with them. I've had problems with my knees ever since a teenager and I suffered a lot more pain when I was running in those Nikes.

--------------------
IBS-C, bloating, cramps
pregnant

#328753 - 04/23/08 05:41 PM
Little Minnie

Do you run on pavement with those or just trails? I like how trail runners look but figured they weren't for sidewalks.
I am ordering a pair of rykas that look to have a very small heel and we'll see. I don't like spending too much money on stuff like that. I always want to buy discount shoes!

--------------------

#328756 - 04/23/08 06:00 PM
Zara

With the original pair I used to run on trails. We moved since and everything is paved where I run now. I know those shoes were made for trails but since they're so comfortable I don't care .
I never pay the full price for shoes either. I got these last December through Amazon for $25 . I guess they were getting rid of their inventory or something. I usually don't buy shoes from Amazon just because they don't have free return shipping but with these I already knew my size so I took the risk.

--------------------
IBS-C, bloating, cramps
pregnant

#328773 - 04/24/08 06:21 AM
Zara

Tamara, as I was running I remembered more things I thought I could share:

I've also tried Saucony before. The first pair I absolutely loved so when I needed new ones I stuck to the same brand. I hated the second pair. The lining along the heal was really hard and eventually started giving me lots of blisters. At the end I couldn't go for a run without putting band-aid all over my heals.

Another kind of Adidas I tried were these Adidas Running a3 Sequence shoes. I actually paid the full price for these since I thought that for once I could reward myself. These were the only Adidas I had problems with. They were very uncomfortable at the bottom in the middle, right where that pink plastic transitions into white foam. My arches were full of blisters (and I don't have low arches, just normal) and I had to stop wearing them. I loved how they look but ever since then I would never buy a shoe with this kind of sole. I found that the "old-fashioned foam" ones are much more comfortable (or less likely to cause problems).

As far as price goes, most of my sneakers I bought in discount stores such as DSW or Rack Room Shoes. Usually I buy the previous year's model of quality shoes. A good rule of thumb (I think) is staying away from sneakers (even if they're a good brand) they look like they're targeted more towards fashion and less towards running (shiny and glittery accents, etc. - I'm sure you know what I mean when you see them).

So I guess to sum up my entire experience - Adidas is my favorite because of the cushioning and overall fit. But I would try multiple styles from any brand since they all seem to fit different.

Hope this helps

--------------------
IBS-C, bloating, cramps
pregnant

looks new
      #328810 - 04/24/08 06:30 PM
Little Minnie

Yes thank you! I tend to be drawn to shoes for looks. Not the glittery crap like you said, and I'm glad to find that it is beneficial to not like those, but the shoes that seem the right style for me. Maybe it is what I had when I was a teenager or something. But some of the choices are just atrociously ugly. When I was a teenager I had these Nike Airs that I loved. I tried Nikes on last week at Kohl's and they didn't fit like I thought they would. I also asked a fitness expert on TV here and she said to go to a specialty store and get sized, but like I said I want to be cheap. I mean you have to buy more than one pair a year! I buy from Sierra Trading Post but then if they don't fit you have to return them. I guess the Avia pair I have now were from DSW. So I ordered an Avia pair from Sierra Trading Post. The photo showed a small heel and the description talked about heel cradling. And there were reviews that sounded good too. I really hope they work!

--------------------

Re: looks new
      #328816 - 04/25/08 05:46 AM
Zara

I hope they work out for you!

I also like Zappos because of their free return shipping. Sometimes I just order a bunch of shoes (like three or four pairs) and then keep one and send the rest back. But they never really have good deals on sneakers.

I'm also very attracted to looks when at the store but then when I'm running I'm so glad I got the well fitting ones. I figured as long as I don't totally hate how they look (and I actually do like the ones I have now) it's fine and it definitely beats having blisters .

How much do you run? I actually really hated running and didn't get into it until after I got married. At first I couldn't last for longer then 3 minutes . Now I run about 10 miles a week. I alternate running with rollerblading so that I don't get bored with either . I run more in winter when I can't rollerblade.

--------------------
IBS-C, bloating, cramps
pregnant

shoes new
      #329389 - 05/05/08 05:38 PM
Little Minnie

Zappos is a great idea- thanks! I ended up accidentally ordering the same shoes I have. duh! Why didn't I think of that to begin with? I found them in Sierra Trading Post again and then later after ordering I realized they were the Avia Elite shoes I have and like. I ran in them today for the first time and they were perfect from the first few seconds. They could be a little springier I guess but they fit great and I don't run more than 3-4 miles a day a few times a week.

--------------------

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 28 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 7390

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review