All Boards >> IBS Fitness & Lifestyle Board Discussions

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
How to say "no" to potluck at work, when you have IBS?
      #313575 - 08/20/07 01:44 PM
TATYANA

Reged: 07/22/07
Loc: Washington, Seattle

I cannot attend potlucks at work any longer and people accuse me of not wanting to socialize. I try explaining why I cannot attend but I still get a negative response. Every time I end up getting sick or plain hungry from nothing to eat. :( Any suggestions?

Thanks.

--------------------
IBS-C since 2006. No signs of IBS now, it's been 4 yrs. Only dairy allergy now.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: How to say "no" to potluck at work, when you have IBS? new
      #313580 - 08/20/07 02:14 PM
lalala

Reged: 02/14/05

I'm sorry your co-workers are giving you such a hard time. Have you tried talking to them individually; sometimes when people are in groups they're not very good at listening.

I'm not sure where you are with your IBS-symptoms. Are you diarrhea or constipation predominant or do you alternate between the two? Are you stable yet? Are you following Heather's Eating for IBS diet guidelines? If you've been reading Heather's books and this site for a while, I'd recommend taking something IBS-safe for you to eat to a potluck. That way, you know you won't be hungry and your coworkers will see that you're trying to be social.

There are some great potluck-type recipes on the recipe board that even non-IBsers will enjoy. Here's a link to a few good ones:
Super Easy Pasta Salad

Sweet Potato Casserole

Simple Macaroni Salad

Discussion on Potlucks and eating out

I hope this helps. You might try posting your question on the IBS Diet board - people should be able to give you tips on how to manage people who aren't understanding of IBS sufferers.

Re: How to say "no" to potluck at work, when you have IBS? new
      #313581 - 08/20/07 02:25 PM
TATYANA

Reged: 07/22/07
Loc: Washington, Seattle

Maria!

Thank you so-so much for your great ideas. I think next potluck I will bring something that I will be able to eat. My IBS is pretty stable now, but there are days no matter what I eat, it flears up anyway. I guess I'm just scared to get sick because of being sick so often in the past. Thanks again.

Tatyana.

--------------------
IBS-C since 2006. No signs of IBS now, it's been 4 yrs. Only dairy allergy now.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 27 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2271

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review