All Boards >> IBS Fitness & Lifestyle Board Discussions

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Weight Gain
      #308971 - 06/12/07 09:05 PM
DJProf

Reged: 06/12/07

I was officially diagnosed with IBS about a year and a half ago following a colonoscopy and I also take Premarin which I have been on for several years because of a hysterectomy. I am having a terrible weight struggle. Although I eat by the IBS diet and walk regularly I cannot seem to lose a pound. In fact, despite constipation sometimes and then explosive diarrhea at others, my weight is going UP and not down. Help?

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Weight Gain new
      #309047 - 06/14/07 10:39 AM
catnut

Reged: 04/08/07
Loc: Kentucky, USA

No matter what I do I can't get the weight off either. I had a partial hysterectomy done 2 years ago and hoped that would help but it didn't. The hormones are still crazy. Premenopause or Menopause does naturally set you up to gain weight as does growing older. It was natures way to insure survival in the past for older people who could not forage or hunt enough to eat every day. Isn't nature great! The only way I have found to really be able to drop any weight is to control the carbs. My blood sugar levels are good but carbs seem to just go to my waist. I've minimized my daily amount of breads, potatos, rice, cereals in the past and had the weight go down but it came right back when I began to eat more breads again. I'm using the acacia fiber so I hope to be able to eat smaller portions of carbs again and have the weight come down a bit. I do not follow the Atkins diet. We need all types of foods and cutting stuff out is setting one up for malnutrition. I just minimize the amount I eat daily since it all gets stored as fat. Exercise has done nothing to get the body to release it. I just have to eat less of it. Hope that gives you another view point.

--------------------
Catnut IBS-C for many years, finally diagnosed in 2005. Wheat and dairy sensative.

#310241 - 07/01/07 09:24 PM
DJProf

Thanks catnut for your encouragement - sorry I have not already thanked you - I have been out of town. Incidentally I forgot my acacia and it was NOT a pleasant time, as I could not find any while I was away. I tried doing Atkins (a modified version) for awhile the year before I was diagnosed with IBS. I lost 30 pounds but had lots of problems with IBS symptoms and as soon as I started adding carbs back in I also began gaining again. I have gained at least half of it back although I really eat very little and I walk alot. I am going to try using more acacia and cutting back on the carbs too. I think part of my problem may be a sensitivity to wheat. I have always known I was allergic to whole milk but did not realize until recently that I was allergic to anything dairy, and of course I trigger IBS symtoms with it. I am afraid to try weightloss drugs so I think I will take your advice.

#311126 - 07/13/07 08:49 AM
catnut

Reged: 04/08/07
Loc: Kentucky, USA

I haven't been on in ages due to family visits and travel. Everything is worth a try but I do stay away from the weight loss drugs. It would be no better than starving myself, only to begin eating and have the weight show up again. It's all about how your body uses the food as fuel and diet drugs are only a temporary means of altering that. Once you quit using them the issue is still there. Hope you find something that works for you.

--------------------
Catnut IBS-C for many years, finally diagnosed in 2005. Wheat and dairy sensative.

#311273 - 07/15/07 11:43 PM
DJProf

I have not been on as much lately either due to bronchitis and a swollen disc in my lower back. So much for walking off the weight for a couple of weeks! I am slowly getting back to walking and nearly over the coughing but boy am I starting over. I still am experimenting with leaving off wheat to see if that is the main problem. Do I need to be tested for celiacs or other wheat intolerance?

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 50 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 4364

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review