All Boards >> IBS Fitness & Lifestyle Board Discussions

View all threads Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Sit-ups
      #308912 - 06/11/07 08:24 PM
line415

Reged: 09/09/06
Loc: New Jersey

Below is a topic I posted on the EFI board with little response. Can anyone help? Thanks. (You can check out the thread with the pros and cons for sit-ups and stomach distention on the EFI board.)Maybe I should just focus on weight loss???

I have always been confused about sit-ups and weight training. For me, I have always been "bulkier" on the bottom so I felt as if I should do mostly cardio and then just some weight training b/c I wanted to shed the weight FIRST and then tone it up.

However, what is the deal with sit-ups? My belly has been rounded ever since the birth of my second baby and I have flip-flopped on whether the sit-ups would help or hurt. An aerobics instructor told me that the only thing to help it flatten (after 2 c-sections) is to do cardio. But now I have been doing some exercise videos with dance/ballet/pilates and they all focus on the belly. I love how it feels and I would love to see results, but after reading this thread, I wonder if I should just attack my body with straight cardio??? It's frustrating b/c with the little time I have to exercise, I at least want to be doing the right things that will make a difference. Any thoughts? Thanks.

--------------------
Originally IBS-D for a million years!
Then IBS-A, Now a transformed slightly C

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Also, I should note that it does not "feel" like bloating most of the time N/T new
      #308913 - 06/11/07 08:25 PM
line415

--------------------

Re: Sit-ups new
      #308918 - 06/12/07 05:58 AM
K2

Reged: 01/29/06
Loc: Canada

Both cardio and sit ups can be used to get a flat stomach. But one or the other probably won't do it completely. Running is the best form of cardio for slimming the torso, but also biking (upright), walking and stairmaster work.

I'm skinny (95 lbs) and my stomach is not flat/toned unless I do sit ups. It's just not possible to get a toned stomach without working the abs (unless you avoid eating anything but protein like body builders, but that's not good!). However if you have weight on your stomach you may not see the toned flat stomach underneath so cardio is important.

Sit ups don't take long to do and you can do them anytime, so I'd suggest adding it to your routine. Try doing some each day after running, or before bed. Anytime you have time to do some. Go easy at first and build up to more reps. The videos for pilates and stuff that focus on abs are also great. The key to a toned flat stomach is to do it every day.

Goodluck!

--------------------
Kat

#308962 - 06/12/07 07:48 PM
line415

Thanks K2. I just replied to the EFI board about this. It seems obvious now after what everyone is saying that the muscles are under there but won't be seen if there is a layer of fat. I could definitely stand to lose at least 5 pounds. I think I weight about 117, maybe more (NO SCALE AT HOME...don't want one! lol ) and I am only barely 5'1". I used to have a super flat stomach...could see the cuts and everything...BACK IN THE DAY ...I'm 36 now and two kids later...but no excuse. I do love to eat! Especially now that I know what I can safely eat and still feel good with the IBS. It's probably possible too that the lexapro I started affected my weight a little, as did the fact that I don't have d anymore (I always said that the IBS was my weight control b/c I could always count on "losing" it all in that manner at least 3 times/week. ) But I wouldn't want those days back for any amount of weight loss or model-looking belly.

I used to run 2-3 miles about 5 times/week. I'm not in that kind of shape now but I can shoot for 2 miles 3-4 times/week running/walking some. I will approach this goal wtih mainly cardio and keep everyone updated on if it helps with the "distended appearance." I LOVE doing sit-ups and the pilates/yoga...but of course I hate cardio...wish it were the other way around! Oh well, thanks!

--------------------

#309686 - 06/24/07 10:05 AM
DDW2006

Reged: 02/28/06
Loc: Illinois

I am so confused..? You say you are doing exercise's for your stomach, even with IBS? It is my understanding that Stress increases the attacks. Isn't exercising your stomach stressful on the insides? I haven't exercised in over a year because of unlimited of time available to me, by the time it is time to go to bed, my head hits the pillow and I'm out.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 188 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2699

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review