Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
IBS and FM
      #307480 - 05/17/07 11:44 AM
Suna

Reged: 05/17/07
Loc: British Columbia, Canada

Hi Everyone,

I am new to this, so happy to meet you all! I am trying to do some research and wondering if anyone has information or a story they'd be willing to share with me. I have had IBS for 10 years now, and can proudly say that I thought I had it completely under control...up until a few years ago, when I lost all that I had worked so hard to accomplish. We can say, I just gave up...Now, everything has blown up. Aside from IBS, I have had food allergies most my life to various things, which already causes problems with my diet...but recently, I have been diagnosed with FM as well, and I feel as though I am at a loss, of understanding and how to pick myself back up. And/or, whether the IBS was mis-diagnosed years ago...

Does anyone have FM as well as IBS?

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: IBS and FM new
      #307529 - 05/18/07 06:49 AM
sarah123

Reged: 06/19/06
Loc: canada

Hi and welcome.I do not have FM so sorry I cannot comment on that.I do have ibs(as well as other health problems )and have had it for about a year and a half.I am pretty stable except during stressfull situations.I follow Heather's diet and I do quite well.I find great encouragement from this site and from the people on here.It feels like I have finally found people that truly understand.If you'd like you can get my email address and we could chat.Stay positive and I hope you find what you are looking for.

#307550 - 05/18/07 12:10 PM
catnut

Reged: 04/08/07
Loc: Kentucky, USA

I'm assuming that FM is fibromyalgia. I've had that diagnosis in the past when they couldn't figure out why I had achy joints, fuzzy brained, clutsy, ears ringing, tingling....My culprit turned out to be wheat. I'm not allergic to it nor am I a celiac but I do react to it. It could also be triggering sugar/insulin issues but I've not tested positive for Diabetes (my Dad was). All I know is what I feel even when the tests say all is normal and they did for years and years. My daughter was just diagnosed with Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome and the endcrinologist asked me if I was ever tested for it. Considering the method to fix the issue I may be a candidate and should be tested for it. It may be another piece to my puzzle.

Why did I tell you all of that? It may be that you just need to keep looking at all aspects. I've been on this road of IBS for 10 years and knew what my issues were long before the docs put a name to it. It wasn't the only answer though as I also had a prolapsing uterus causing issues and I had not figured out that wheat was a major problem yet. If you were diagnosed for IBS years ago, check out the list of tests Heather has and see what you had done. It may be time to do some new tests, see another doctor who might have another point of view. I went through 4 docs and 2 OB's before all of this stuff was figured out medically. All of them were good but they are human and all view things a bit differently and have different experiences. Happily my current OB knows about PSO due to his own daughter having it. You just have to keep looking till you hit the answers. It's not easy and I feel really down some days when I react to something I've eaten. Just keep trying, you'll figure it out over time.

--------------------
Catnut IBS-C for many years, finally diagnosed in 2005. Wheat and dairy sensative.

#308299 - 05/31/07 11:34 PM
Tide

Reged: 08/21/04

Hi There,
I have FM and IBS. I was diagnosed with FM first 8 years ago and diagnosed with IBS about 3 or 4 years ago. From what I understand these can go hand and hand. I'm not sure why that is but it seems like FM can be coupled with lots of things.
I also have suffered with severe food allergies all of my life.
My FM I have managed but the IBS is still something I struggle with. If you have any other questions I will do my best to answer them. Hang in There and take it one day at a time!

#310889 - 07/10/07 05:59 PM
margy

Reged: 06/19/07
Loc: Australia

Hi, I have IBS-D and FM and only recently was diagnosed. I found the general principles that Heather suggests have been great (i.e always eat some soluble fibre first before anything else). I found wheat a problem for me even though I am not a celiac or allegic to it, any preservative, especially sulphites are a REAL problem. I minimise salicylates and that helps as well. I have realised over the past few months that protein digestion is a real worry and feel that my FM is related in low protein absorption. I am 'resting' my pancreas, liver etc by avoiding most sugar, dairy, caffein and dairy. Whats left? plenty. Go back to what kids ate years ago, avoid all numbers in products, Get plenty of FRESH soluble fibre into the diet. My rule is go for food with a low HI, that is low human interference. Avoid sauces and pre-prepared packaged food. Substitute sugar in recipes to apple sauce, maple syrup if you really need a sugar fix. Hope this helps. Margy

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 58 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 4042

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review