All Boards >> IBS Fitness & Lifestyle Board Discussions

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Frustrated
      #298043 - 01/25/07 11:34 AM
Lynn

Reged: 01/27/03
Loc: Virginia

I couldn't think of a better title than "Frustrated." I have had IBS since I was a teenager although I didn't have a name for the infliction that I endured. In my 20s, I experienced some of my worst boughts of IBS. It wasn't until my late 20s that I found Heather's books thanks to my husband's grandmother. She suffers from IBS as well only in a different way than me.

My life improved because of Heather's advice, but I still had plenty of episodes that wrecked havoc on my life. It wasn't until the end of 2005 that I faced some issues. I had uncontrollable anxiety. I would be fine at home but as soon as I got into the car to go anywhere, I had an attack. I would have to turn around and go back home.

In late 2005, I opened up to my doctor and told him about my anxiety. He prescribed Lexapro to me. It has helped me immensely. I rarely have fits of IBS and I get out and live my life.

However, I am now 30 and I weigh 300 pounds. I am at my wits end and terribly depressed. I joined a fitness club, but I have gone once because I am embarassed about my weight.

How do I utlize Heather's good advice on food intake and still lose weight?

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Frustrated new
      #298047 - 01/25/07 12:01 PM
ECM

Reged: 08/23/06
Loc: Jasper, GA

Hi Lynn,

Have you talked with your Doctor about a different AD rather than Lexapro? A side effect of Lexapro is weight gain. HTH

Snookie, IBS-C

--------------------
Snookie, IBS-C

#298050 - 01/25/07 12:23 PM
Shell Marr

Reged: 08/04/03
Loc: Seattle, WA USA

Hi Lynn..... I understand your frustration!! I myself was about your weight at the age of 30.... my highest being 340! So please know that you can still follow Heather "guideline" and loose weight.... but the #1 thing is going to be exercise.... you have to do it!! Who cares what the others are the gym think.... to tell you the truth...I was embarrassed too....but you know what changed that? When other people your size, bigger, & smaller approach you at the gym and say how impressed they are that you are there, when others that are my size and bigger SEE ME working out.... they get inspired... "if she can do it, so can I" you know what I mean?

My Father is in the hospital NOW for issues stemming from his weight.....and it is just killing me to see him like this...... just getting bigger and bigger and sicker and sicker...... I don't want to see this happen to you or anyone else.....{{hugs}}

Have you read my story yet? If not, please do.... web page

I'm here for you..... WE are here for you!!

--------------------
www.facebook.com/shell.marr

www.myspace.com/shellmarr

#298095 - 01/25/07 05:36 PM
Stephie

Reged: 03/10/04
Loc: Vancouver, Canada

Hi Lynn,

Welcome to the boards!
I think the very best advice I could give you has already been given, to have a look at Shell's story on her weight loss journey and get inspired to know that you CAN do it and have a happy tummy at the same time.
I totally hear you about the anxiety and what a relief it is to have a medication that allows you to live your life. There are other medications that may make it a little easier to lose weight, but I'd tread lightly to make sure your anxiety doesn't become a problem again. The other thing is, exercise will also really help with anxiety. A few months back when I was really, really bad with my anxiety I picked up a self-help book that said that the NUMBER 1 thing you can do for yourself and your anxiety is to get exercise-regardless of weight. For you, because you are wanting to lose weight, it would be like a win-win. In fact, have a look at my post HERE from a while back about how exercise made a difference in my life.

Also, I was starting to get embarassed at the gym as well. I would look around and see thin people jogging on the treadmill and feel selfconscious - but eventually I decided that these people are #1)All people are there to get healthy and aren't going to judge me for trying to GET healthier and #2)I am never going to see those people again more than likely so if I sweat all over the place or make a funny noise when I am lifting a heavier weight, who cares? Besides, they are probably so focused on their OWN sweating and funny noises they don't even realise you are there!
If there are men there that make you uncomfortable, is there a women's only area or another gym that is just for women? I find it far less distracting without men monopolizing all the equipment!

As for food, I think weight loss is totally doable on Heather's diet. There is a lot of guessing and testing for how much insoluble fiber your body will tolerate and what fruits and veg and other things sit well with you, but once you get a good balance, you're on your way. Heather's initial suggestions of what to cut out in regards to dairy, high fat foods, etc are all things you'd probably look at cutting out (or at least down) if you were going to lose weight anyway. The most important thing is getting a healthy balance of carbohydrates, proteins and fats and you can do that on this diet.
Feel free to post a sample of what your daily menu looks like and we can always give you tummy-friendly feedback that will keep you on the right track!

We're all here for you, so let us know how you're doing.. and get to that fitness centre and be proud of yourself!

Cheers,
Steph

--------------------
~~I'm not crazy, I'm just a little unwell-I know right now you can't tell~~Matchbox 20
IBS-D,pain.

#298259 - 01/27/07 12:10 PM
Lynn

Thanks Steph. I really appreciate the encouragement. I will work on giving you guys an idea of what I eat.

I will say that I have a definite problem with bread. I don't eat breakfast and with my stupid schedule I eat late whenever I have a school night. I don't get out of class until 9ish. I am always scared to rush and eat before class because I know I could get sick and I have a very hard time going to bed hungry.

I think I will re-read Heather's book. I admittedly have never used Heather's cook book because some of the ingredients are difficult to get in my area. There are some recipes I think I could. I would love to see Heather do a recipe book that is very practical.

#298261 - 01/27/07 12:15 PM
Lynn

Thanks Shell, I will read the page. I know I got to get over my embarrassment and just do it. I lack motivation sometimes. I get depressed and give up a little too easily.

My doctor impressed upon me that if I don't lose weight I am going to be on so many pills when I am in my 40s.

I don't want that to happen. So, I want to get rid of the weight. I guess I feel a bit overwhelmed.

Edited by Lynn (01/27/07 12:15 PM)

#298262 - 01/27/07 12:17 PM
Lynn

I haven't talked about another anxiety medicine with him. I don't like medication at all. I don't want to go to another drug. I admittedly am too scared to.

#298271 - 01/27/07 01:48 PM
oldestofseven

Reged: 12/30/06
Loc: tiny almost unheard of town in the middle of Va

Maybe you could try taking a homeopathic remedy instead of a prescribed drug. I think it's called Seratonin. Several of my family members take that and it helps immensely.

--------------------
Adrianna, IBS-D, stable since May 2007, living life to the fullest because of it!

Lynn new
      #298288 - 01/27/07 05:14 PM
Stephie

Reged: 03/10/04
Loc: Vancouver, Canada

Quote:

Thanks Steph. I really appreciate the encouragement. I will work on giving you guys an idea of what I eat.
No problem! That's what we're here for, afterall! And you don't HAVE to post what you eat, but if you were looking for suggestions it's sort of good to get feedback sometimes.. Whatever you feel comfortable doing.

I will say that I have a definite problem with bread.
When you say you have a problem with bread, do you mean you have a problem eating bread or avoiding bread or...? Is it that bread bothers you? Quite a few people cut out wheat/gluten and are still able to get stable. If you mean problem cutting out bread - don't. Bread has a bad rep, but nutritionist said there is absolutely nothing wrong with eating bread.
I don't eat breakfast How come? Are you worried you'll be sick from it? I eat oatmeal mixed with Oat bran in the mornings and it really calms my tummy down and quiets morning grumbly stomach too. and with my stupid schedule I eat late whenever I have a school night. I don't get out of class until 9ish. I am always scared to rush and eat before class because I know I could get sick and I have a very hard time going to bed hungry. I used to balance a lot of work and school too and I think the key is having safe snacks on hand that will keep your stomach satisfied and not make you feel poorly. Can you handle things like rice cakes with peanut butter in small amounts? Or Luna bars? Or pretzels with some applesauce or something? I carry around snacks constantly.

I think I will re-read Heather's book. I admittedly have never used Heather's cook book because some of the ingredients are difficult to get in my area. There are some recipes I think I could. I would love to see Heather do a recipe book that is very practical. If the recipes in Heather's book aren't doable for you sometimes, check out the Recipe Index under the IBS Recipes board - there are LOADS of IBS safe recipes there and they range from super easy to make to more complicated dishes. I have made quite a few things from Heather's books that are pretty easy and very tasty.

Good luck, Lynn! Let us know how you are getting on!

Steph

--------------------
~~I'm not crazy, I'm just a little unwell-I know right now you can't tell~~Matchbox 20
IBS-D,pain.

#298327 - 01/28/07 08:05 AM
dhaggerty

Reged: 06/04/06
Loc: Northeast, Bucks County, PA

Lynn - you are taking many of the right steps now, just by acknowledging your concerns and trying to work through them. I am 49, and have had IBS all my adult life (from my teens) and just recently through this board, following the recipes, taking acacia, and staying away from the trigger foods have been doing very well.

With going through IBS/Menopause I have gained weight too. Mostly my stomach. I do exercise 2x a week, but try to do 3x.

I have recently engaged a nutritionist to talk to and work out a plan. Maybe you can do some reseach and get with a nutritionist who may be able to point you in the right direction.

Good Luck Lynn

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 154 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3584

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review