All Boards >> IBS Fitness & Lifestyle Board Discussions

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
New to all this
      #297182 - 01/18/07 03:35 PM
annaparis

Reged: 01/18/07

Hi,
I've literally just been diagnosed with IBS and am currently experiencing some seriously painful rolling spasms. The drugs don't work! What can I do??
Glad this place is here,
Anna

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: New to all this new
      #297188 - 01/18/07 03:42 PM
Christian Bale

Reged: 01/17/07
Loc: Staffordshire, United Kingdom

Hello

I've only just joined the group myself although I've known pretty much I've had IBS for the last 3 years. Have you read the FAQ on this site about soluble fibre? Also have you bought any of Heather's book either "The First Year" or "Eating for IBS". I have the first and have just ordered the second.

Nice to meet you, let's hope we can both enjoy some success!

Regards

Tim(UK)

#297191 - 01/18/07 03:51 PM
Stephie

Reged: 03/10/04
Loc: Vancouver, Canada

Hi Anna,

Welcome to the Website! Sorry to hear about your diagnosis and ongoing stomach pains - I know it's really difficult to figure out what works for you.
You've actually posted this question on the IBS "Fitness" board so if you have a look at the posts, you'll see this board is more about weight loss/gain/maintenace and not so much about actual IBS symptoms so you may not get a lot of responses here. Instead, try posting on the main board "IBS Diet" where a lot more people post frequently and you'll get more replies.

In the meantime, there are a few things you could try for the spasms. What medication are you on? For bad cramps, I have found buscopan to be the only one that actually helps with pain. Aside from that, a heating pad on the tummy can be very soothing and helpful at relaxing cramps. You can also try drinking strong peppermint tea (**only if you don't have any problems with acid reflux) or even peppermint capsules. You can also try fennel or rooibos tea to sooth a sore stomach. I have also found that deep breathing exercises seem to help when pains come on in preventing, managing and getting over spasms.

Good luck!

Steph

--------------------
~~I'm not crazy, I'm just a little unwell-I know right now you can't tell~~Matchbox 20
IBS-D,pain.

#300114 - 02/18/07 06:01 PM
ibssuffererssunite

Reged: 02/18/07

I will not be the first person to tell you this, and I will not be the last: IBS sucks, but it can be managed. Everyone is different, but much of the advice is similar. I suggest concentrating on a healthy lifestyle. Exercise is great, even if it is only moderate walking every other day. Eating habits play a big part in feeling well. If you ever heard "You are what you eat," it is very true. As soon as I digest anything intolerable to my stomach, I am in total agony. If I eat what I am suppose to eat, I feel absolutely GREAT!!!! From the literature that I have found, IBS has a lot to do with what a person is eating, or at least, that's how I have found to control and/or eliminate spasms. Two books that I have found to be beneficial are: The Yeast Connection and The Candida Cookbook. Now, not everyone's IBS is due to yeast intolerance. Some other intolerances include gluten, sugar, and dairy. Some of the IBS literature found in bookstores and the library help the reader to determine what it is that is causing the episodes. I will admit I cannot have any of it without having issues, whether it be within minutes or a few days. Once you start eating healthier, the problems start to disappear. The last spasm I had was self induced because I will admit, it is hard to give up the foods I have been eating my entire life. But, another thing to admit is, once you realize that you can make yourself feel better and you don't have to feel like you're going to die from the pain, you make the life long decision to know you can overcome IBS. I hope that this is beneficial to you, and I hope you the best at overcoming IBS.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 120 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2619

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review