All Boards >> IBS Fitness & Lifestyle Board Discussions

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Metabolic typing
      #289305 - 11/07/06 06:41 PM
storyhealer

Reged: 05/26/06

Hello, I'm new to this board. After a couple years of digestive problems (bloating, gas, irregular bms) I've ruled out everything else and believe (along with the gi dr) that I have IBS. Before this, however, I had a good experience on the Carbohydrate Addict's Diet. I lost weight successfully for the first time in my life and kept it off without feeling hungry all the time. However, after my symptoms started to appear after a year on the diet, I went back to eating lots of carbs (previously I was lactose-intolerant). I have a hard time stopping once I start eating carbs. The authors of the CA Diet had some good strategies, where you eat carbs only with a balanced dinner, but now I can't really eat that way, and I'm struggling to lose the last 10 lbs of post-baby fat (my baby is now 20 months!). I also feel hungry all the time. I wonder if anyone is familiar with metabolic typing. I come up as a protein type, but I find it difficult on the IBS diet to eat a lot of protein, since so much of it is not IBS friendly. So I'm again hungry all the time, and have other symptoms I believe are related to a high-carb diet (mood swings, sugar cravings, dry skin, frequent colds--all of which I noticed improved when I went low-carb). I read Dante's post and I wonder if metabolic typing might be an answer--ie some diets work better for some people because of their unique biochemical makeups, but not well for others. There is a book on it and Dr. Mercola (mercola.com) is a big proponent of it.

Anyone else familiar with metabolic typing? For those who have similar issues, have you been able to stem the cravings while keeping your IBS under control? I exercise as much as I can, though I'm sure more would help. However I've also exercised regularly all my life, so I really don't anticipate it will make a big difference in my weight, since it never has before.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Metabolic typing new
      #289308 - 11/07/06 07:08 PM
K2

Reged: 01/29/06
Loc: Canada

Sorry I don't know anything about metabolic typing. However if you are finding the sugar from a high-carb diet is bothering you, then try finding lower-sugar sources of SF. For instance, I eat mostly white rice, less white bread. Also, carrots, bananas, and sweet potatos are great sources of SF without the added sugar. In fact, sweet potato is supposed to have a blood-sugar regulating effect.

As for protein, there's quite a few choices. I don't know how much red meat you used to eat, but most likely you're cutting out beef and pork and this seems like a lot. Remember that the IBS diet calls for the healthiest meats. I eat a variety of meat to get good protein and fats such as:
salmon, tuna, other fish: simply cooked, or canned for a sandwich
shrimp: cold with dipping sauce or cooked in a dish
chicken: whole breast, or ground
turkey: whole breast or sliced on sandwiches
egg whites: boiled whole, or added to soup, or pan-cooked not fried
tofu, soy: tofu dishes, ground-round and milk mostly

"mood swings, sugar cravings, dry skin, frequent colds--all of which I noticed improved when I went low-carb"
The dry skin could indicate not enough fat in your diet. It's hard to get enough, but try finding your limit. As for the mood swings and sugar cravings, yep that's too much sugar, and it's hard to avoid since sugar is tasty and easy on our stomachs. Frequent colds could indicate low iron or B12, maybe you should have a blood test to rule this out?

I hope you get some ideas from my suggestions. It takes some time and effort to find a balanced diet that is both good for you and your IBS. Keep up the good work!

--------------------
Kat

#289314 - 11/07/06 07:51 PM
kenjari

Reged: 10/18/06
Loc: Boston

Great post, K2!
I just wanted to add winter squashes to the list of lower-sugar SF foods, since this is the best time of year for them. And they are so tasty!
Also, I find that smoked salmon (lox) on a (plain) bagel with a little soy cream cheese is a very satisfying balance of SF and protein.

--------------------
-Carol
IBS-A

#289350 - 11/08/06 08:58 AM
K2

Reged: 01/29/06
Loc: Canada

Love smoked salmon and soy cream cheese on a bagel...mmm

I've never tried squash before, what does it taste like? Honestly I don't think I even know what they look like, so I'd have a hard time finding them at the grocery store.. I have been trying new foods so maybe I'll give it a try now.

--------------------
Kat

#289358 - 11/08/06 10:04 AM
kenjari

Reged: 10/18/06
Loc: Boston

Hi,
Here's a web page that lists all the different types of winter squash, with descriptions, pictures, and basic cooking instructions. Butternut is usually the easiest one to find.
Squash tastes like a cross between a sweet potato and a carrot. The texture is closer to a sweet potato, though.
Cooking them is extremely simple: cut in half, scoop out the seeds and stringy bits, bake at 350 for 45 minutes to an hour until they are soft. I liked to spray them with a little Pam and sprinkle them with cinnamon and ginger before baking. If you like sweet things, you can also put a litte brown sugar or maple syrup on them, too. Baked squash reheats quite well, too.

--------------------
-Carol
IBS-A

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 50 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2966

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review