All Boards >> IBS Fitness & Lifestyle Board Discussions

View all threads Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Weight Gain
      #285173 - 10/04/06 09:01 AM
Risti22

Reged: 10/04/06
Loc: Upstate New York

I am new to the message board but not to IBS. I have been trying (sometimes successfully) to eat only an IBS friendly diet yet I seem to be gaining weight. Are there any weight loss programs out there that work well with IBS, like weight watchers? Or should I just up my workout and give it more time?
Thanks!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Weight Gain new
      #285659 - 10/08/06 12:42 PM
Stephie

Reged: 03/10/04
Loc: Vancouver, Canada

Hey there,
Welcome to the message boards!
You could be gaining weight if you are relying a little too heavily on simple carbohydrates for most of your meals - I know that's what happened to me.
I think one of the most important things is to eat smaller portions, every 2-3 hours which is good for keeping tummy happy IBS-wise and weight wise.
I would also make sure that you are including enough veggies that you can tolerate and protein in your diet. SF is still important to keep tummy happy, but I find I can cut out about half the amount of simple carbs if I eat it first and still have other food.
As for another diet plan, I haven't yet found one. Weight Watchers in particular on the surface *seems* to be the one that is most compatible because you can eat whatever you want, within caloric (or "points") maximums. And this is what inspired me to very recently try Weight Watchers online - and then feel like a huge fool. First of all, the website that they have for online isn't as good as many other *free* online dieting programs. If you are looking for something like this, try www.sparkpeople.com - it is a totally free website that tracks food, exercise, intake of vitamins, calcium, fiber.. a lot that WW doesn't have. In addition, Weight Watchers gives you an unhealthy low number of calories per day. For example, the other day I input all my food and it told me I was 6 points over my daily limit. When I went through and calculated the calories, it was around 1200 cals - which is low. Under 1200 is starvation mode. That's why a lot of people can actually *gain* weight on weight watchers. So I would avoid.
Atkins is no good for obvious reasons. South Beach diet is a little better, but no good because it relies heavily on artificial things like asparatame, sorbitol and other things that are very bad for IBS tummies.
I think the basic finding out how many calories you should be rougly consuming and trying to stay within those boundaries while adding in exercise to burn off extra calories is the best way to go.

Good luck!

Steph

--------------------
~~I'm not crazy, I'm just a little unwell-I know right now you can't tell~~Matchbox 20
IBS-D,pain.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 31 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1609

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review