View all threads Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Well, I did it... I hit 170
      #280978 - 09/05/06 11:42 PM
Stephie

Reged: 03/10/04
Loc: Vancouver, Canada

Hey guys,

So as most of the "regulars" on this board know, I have come on here many a times in the last 2 years saying I am getting serious about losing weight. Each time, though, I've fallen off the wagon.
More recently, my eating habbits went really out of control.. I am embarassed to even say how bad, a few days I ate 3 chocolate bars! I don't know what's wrong with me.
It's especially bad timing because my doc put me back on amitryptiline and she told me it can cause weight gain and we think it may have contributed to my weight gain that started 2 years ago and just kept going. She told me to be more careful about what I eat, and to make sure to exercise more to counter balance the effects of the pill... and I have done the exact opposite.
Tonight I went out for dinner and ate enough that I am actually in really bad pain just from eating too much. I feel gross.
So I weighed myself tonight and it said 170.5 lbs... and I was at 165 in August when I was so unhappy with my weight.
Oy. I want to get back into better shape, but I am so not motivated. When I saw the scale, I thought, "This has to stop.." and then started coming up with excuses for why I can't go to the gym (the membership of which is automatically debited from my account every month, even though I have not been going.. at least for the last 2 months). Yikes.
I really want to say I am going to start and get better, but I just feel so "blah" about it that I don't think I will...
I don't know how to pull myself out of this one, oy...

Steph

--------------------
~~I'm not crazy, I'm just a little unwell-I know right now you can't tell~~Matchbox 20
IBS-D,pain.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Well, I did it... I hit 170 new
      #281010 - 09/06/06 08:53 AM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

I think your doctor's warning about amitryptiline causing weight gain was incomplete. Amitryptiline causes weight gain because it increases appetite, probably by messing with the serontonin that talks to the hunger center (okay, very unscientific explanation there, but you get the idea). There's even something called "the Elavil sweet tooth". I'm not saying that means it's healthy to eat everything that doesn't eat you first, but don't beat yourself up so much - at least some of your over-the-top appetite is a result of the drug.

Unfortunately, the amitryptiline doesn't necessarily explain not going to the gym. (Although if going to the gym is something you done pretty faithfully in the past and have only stopped since you've been on amitryptiline, I can tell you that once I got to higher doses of Elavil, I pretty much found everything in life to be more trouble than it was worth.)

HTH.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

Nope, can't blame the meds new
      #281022 - 09/06/06 10:14 AM
Stephie

Hey Sand,

Yeah, I definitely don't think I can blame the meds for the weight gain especially as I have only been on it 2 weeks now. What I am worried about is that I am already gaining weight on my own, now maybe it will get worse as my body gets used to the pill.
I didn't realise that it affected appetite, maybe that's part of the reason that for the last week or so I want to eat constantly. Even when I am eating, I am thinking about what I will eat next.. oy!
No, I fell off the "gym wagon" ages before I went on the amitryptiline so I know that is all me. Ireally do need to get back into it, I am just having so much trouble finding the motivation to get myself there.
Maybe I will try and do a healthy shopping trip tonight and try reporting in again starting tomorrow.

Steph

--------------------
~~I'm not crazy, I'm just a little unwell-I know right now you can't tell~~Matchbox 20
IBS-D,pain.

#281023 - 09/06/06 10:22 AM
Shell Marr

Reged: 08/04/03
Loc: Seattle, WA USA

Lets get back on the wagon together girl.... I've been SOOOOO bad the last couple of months..... I have a few good days (food wise) then I just blow it.....NOT good!! I've got a 5K this weekend and I'm afraid it will be my slowest ever!! I MUST get in control.... I've got a 1/2 Marathon in Nov....and with the holidays it is gonna be hard!! We can do it together......AGAIN!!

--------------------
www.facebook.com/shell.marr

www.myspace.com/shellmarr

Re: Nope, can't blame the meds new
      #281036 - 09/06/06 11:01 AM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

Well, I say we should at least blame it for the 3 candy bars.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

Re: Nope, can't blame the meds new
      #281053 - 09/06/06 01:24 PM
Stephie

Quote:

Well, I say we should at least blame it for the 3 candy bars.

Yeah, I guess that makes sense. I have always had a thing for chocolate, but not like that! And I am paying big-time for the overeating badness at dinner last night *groans*. Stupid, stupid.

--------------------
IBS-D,pain.

#281054 - 09/06/06 01:30 PM
Stephie

Quote:

Lets get back on the wagon together girl....
Alright, I'll do it if you do too... At least than I will be accountable. I am going to sit down with Adrian too and say that I need some support on this and we need to eat healthier when we are together and to try and make a schedule for going to the gym together again. I've been SOOOOO bad the last couple of months..... I have a few good days (food wise) then I just blow it.....NOT good!!
That's exactly what I was doing.. then I stopped good days altogether! Every day I was eating a chocolate bar or ice cream or something bad for tummy *and* weight. Disaster!
I've got a 5K this weekend and I'm afraid it will be my slowest ever!! I MUST get in control.... I've got a 1/2 Marathon in Nov....and with the holidays it is gonna be hard!!
god, I couldn't even imagine taking on something like that. We live on the third floor of a walk up apartment and I get winded at the top of the stairs! I told Adrian yesterday my heart was beating too fast too, after we ate this huge meal and he said it was just 'cause it's been so hot and I was like, "I don't think that's it..."
We can do it together......AGAIN!!

If you say so... I would like to set myself a small, attainable goal, but I dunno what it will be yet. Maybe 5 lbs? I weighed myself again this morning and it said 168, so maybe I'll go for 163 over the next month?
Will try and get the car off Adrian tonight and do a healthy shopping trip, and I will Report in tomorrow!
See you then!
**hugs**

--------------------
IBS-D,pain.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 66 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 4060

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review