All Boards >> IBS Fitness & Lifestyle Board Discussions

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
How can anyone gain weight?!!!
      #279677 - 08/23/06 03:53 PM
jennyh

Reged: 08/14/06

I am not sure how anyone can gain weight! I don't barely eat anything because for one I can't and for two I am too afraid of eating because of what might happen afterwards! I am not sure how anyone can live like this....it is out of control!

Jenny

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: How can anyone gain weight?!!! new
      #279850 - 08/24/06 03:39 PM
Kgrl17

Reged: 08/09/06

My eating habits are the same way. I barely eat anything and I exercise everyday but I went from 95 pounds to 119 pounds this summer. I'm eating the exact same as I have for the past two years and I've gotten all hormone and thyroid levels check so I don't know what's wrong! So I used to think the same thing until everything turned around on me

#279892 - 08/25/06 04:49 AM
Ulrika

Reged: 08/20/06
Loc: Uppsala, Sweden

Hi!

I'm not an expert on weight gaining myself. Before I got stable I had a very difficult time keeping my weight up because I'd feel so sick that I'd have no appetite and then I'd always wonder if what I had just eaten would make me have to run to the bathroom. Since I got stable I gradually started eating more varied food and more of it too and that (together with being stable of course) made such a difference to me. I just felt so much better. I had some clues about what to eat and what not to. I had really noticed that IF foods, especially things like whole grain bread and kiwis, made my IBS way worse, but not exactly why. When I read Heather's book I got the explanation and it all made sense.

I believe that if you do the Breaking the Cycle diet for a few days and then follow Heather's advice then you'll know that is the very best you can do for your bowels! Some things may work for you but not for others and some things that work for others might not work for you so you'll still have to listen to your body. (Like for instance some people have no problems with chilli pepper, some do, and some like me can tolerate it in moderate amounts as long as the bowels aren't already acting up from stress et.c.)

The point is: you have to eat. Small servings frequently. Avoid going half the day without food and then getting really hungry which typically increases the risk that you'll just eat whatever you can find and also that you might eat too much and/or too fast. But I think it's safe to say that not eating will at least over time make your IBS even worse.

I recommend eating according to Heather's guidelines, both in terms of what to eat and how to eat and that you get some exercise - whatever you feel like doing and that is possible for you to do on a regular basis. Eating more protein is always good if you want to gain a bit of muscle weight.

I'm sure others here who have more experience can help you with the details on just HOW to gain weight. Good luck!

/Ulrika, IBS-D

#279945 - 08/25/06 01:50 PM
MaryABR

Reged: 07/24/06
Loc: Stafford, Virginia

I completely agree! I have borderline hypothyroidism (monitored but not on medication), which means I should have a hard time losing weight and an easy time gaining, right? All I've done since I've been diagnosed with IBS-C is lose weight. I actually recommend Heather's diet to otherwise healthy people who want to lose weight.

#279996 - 08/26/06 09:11 AM
K2

Reged: 01/29/06
Loc: Canada

Even while stable I am struggling to keep weight on, let alone gain weight. I try eating more and eating often, but I definetly can't see myself ever getting fat on this diet!

One thing I do want to say is that the fear of eating does go away once you are more stable and know what foods to eat.

--------------------
Kat

#280203 - 08/28/06 04:00 PM
smilesrp2

Reged: 08/28/06

I'm new at this IBS. Was just diagnosed in last July. I've lost about 8 lbs. which I wasn't trying to do. I did research and found Heather's web site. I'm still learning and taking baby steps. I was doing well for about 5 days without symptoms, then 'fell off the wagon'. I'm trying to maintain right now and not lose anymore weight. I get discouraged when I have a bad day. Your post was encouraging to me. Thanks.smilesrp2

#280216 - 08/28/06 05:38 PM
JKitty

Reged: 07/29/06
Loc: Seattle WA

I almost felt jealous - I can't lose an ounce!! (And I do try - low cals, lots of working out, bla bla bla...)

But then I remember my dad, who has crohn's, and who went from 6'1", 230 to 6'0", 135 on a good day. Highest he's been in the last 5 years is 150 (we cheered!)

I hope you can find something that helps! Every time he loses another two pounds, we all get worried... a man with 6 feet of intestinal tract left can't lose much more!

Just don't give up hope, and if I can offer any advise... work out! Weights, run (if you can), whatever! Muscle weighs more than fat, and when you have a flare-up, muscle goes away more slowly. Good luck!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 32 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2744

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review