All Boards >> IBS Fitness & Lifestyle Board Discussions

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
My IBS is hindering my running
      #273214 - 07/09/06 04:33 PM
eawills

Reged: 08/16/05

I have been successful in the past 15 months in losing 60lbs. I have been jogging on the treadmill at the gym. Unfortunately, once I've been at it for awhile, I usually have gas and cramping, and sometimes diarrhea. I am IBS-D, and it is so frustrating for me, not only to not be able to run for long periods of time, but also to be too scared to run outside because I may have an accident. I am considering asking my doctor for amitriptyline or Lotronex, two drugs I have heard work really well. Any experience with these? I currently take Immodium once a day. Thanks!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Lots of people have tried those... new
      #273252 - 07/10/06 03:44 AM
Natalie1985

Reged: 08/09/04
Loc: UK - Leeds for uni, Merseyside for home!

so I'm sure you'll get lots of helpful advice...I've tried amytritiline...didn't help me at all but everyone is different. I use immodium....I use A LOT of immodium though...have you tried increasing your dosage...I can use 10-15 on a bad day....I used to be terrified of using that amount and 5 a day was my maximum and that was until I heard that some people take more...so I starting taking it 2 at a time instead of once and told my doctor and they said it was fine. So now I use it as a preventative and also after each BM and it controls it very well.

--------------------
Natalie

Re: My IBS is hindering my running new
      #276253 - 07/30/06 01:14 AM
Heather D.

Reged: 02/23/06
Loc: Northern California

Okay, I know I'm new around here...and this is actually my first post...but when you mentioned Lotronex, I felt maybe I should say something. I was on Lotronex for a while about 2 years ago. I had a HORRIBLE experience with it. When you begin taking it, the doctor will ask you to sign a waiver saying that you have been notified of all the risks and understand them. Take it VERY seriously. If you have any doubt in your mind after hearing all of the info on it, please don't take it! I ended up in the ER with tachycardia...thinking I was having a heartattack and losing my mind. It was the most horrible experience I've ever had. It was the beginning of AWFUL panic attacks and anxiety that I live with to this day. If I could go back and do it all over, I would pass on the Lotronex. JMO

--------------------
Heather D.
IBS-D

Re: Lots of people have tried those... new
      #277488 - 08/07/06 11:24 AM
sophiejay

Reged: 07/26/06
Loc: England

when ever i run for a while i get a bm so maybe its just because our guts are sensative that they cant handle too much activity, thats why i go swimming because theres no strain on your stomach and i cycle too. Hope this helpedxxx

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 80 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1935

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review