All Boards >> IBS Fitness & Lifestyle Board Discussions

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
am quitting smoking today
      #272372 - 07/03/06 07:26 PM
little bear

Reged: 12/22/04
Loc: chicago

been secretly keeping the habit. but would like to stop. i have 2 even weeks left before i leave for vacation so i thought id start NOW! im gonna need encouragement. any past smokers?? hang in there with me

also ive got to get my legs in shape for my swimsuit. anyone who's bored FEEL FREE to push me into exercising! im exercising on my own already but little pushes never hurt!! thanks guys

--------------------
VEGAN ASHLEY~IBS/C

www.myspace.com/dutchflowers

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Good luck!! new
      #272380 - 07/03/06 08:53 PM
epa_ginger

Reged: 02/23/05
Loc: Chicago, IL

Not a smoker, but thrilled to hear you are trying to quit. GOOD FOR YOU!
And let me know if you come up with any good leg exercises, I will CERTAINLY be needing to do that after September, being pregnant sure does make me feel floppy.

--------------------

Re: am quitting smoking today new
      #272382 - 07/03/06 09:07 PM
Shell Marr

Reged: 08/04/03
Loc: Seattle, WA USA

I'm so proud of you for quitting smoking.... I did that 10+ years ago... you will feel sooo much better!! Good luck!!

--------------------
www.facebook.com/shell.marr

www.myspace.com/shellmarr

#272388 - 07/03/06 10:03 PM
little bear

thanks shell! ill need the good attitude so i dont cave. the thing is im not really addicted to it, although im sure most smokers start out saying that!! lol--i usually take drags from my bf's cigs but lately its becoming more and more. i hate how they taste, and hate how they smell--but some reason i keep wanting one! its funny how we continue things like that. anyways, i kept reading how much better kate felt after quitting. i dont really need the habit. i sure cant afford it with the gas prices!! thanks again shell

--------------------
VEGAN ASHLEY~IBS/C

Re: Good luck!! new
      #272390 - 07/03/06 10:07 PM
little bear

oh no i can only imagine!! no energy? i frequently do a move from my pilates tape:
lay on the floor on one side and kick your leg up in the air 10 times, switch sides of your body and do the other leg. it works the butt and the inside thighs i believe. pilates is actually really good for toning and sleeking down muscles. if you ever look into tv shopping, i got my pilates tapes from daisy fuentes. i also got a nifty machine called the bun 'n thigh max. i use it primarily for my inside thighs as well. i think im just resorting to good ol'fashion jogging! thanks for the good luck wish--im gonna do my best. congrats on your pregnancy too! i see your baby countdown below your name. best of luck to you as well

--------------------
VEGAN ASHLEY~IBS/C

#272419 - 07/04/06 07:45 AM
K2

Reged: 01/29/06
Loc: Canada

Awesome news! Great decision to quit smoking. Where will you be going for vacation?

One leg exercise I've found gives the best results is lunges. Alternating feet, take a big step forward and bend both legs until your back knee almost touches the ground. This works the entire leg, but mostly the butt and back/inner thigh.

Good luck!
Kat

--------------------
Kat

#272425 - 07/04/06 08:13 AM
little bear

OO! i think ill add that to my next work out. i forgot about the lunges. always did them in gym.

im going to croatia with my boyfriend. his family is croatian and they have a summer villa they are rebuilding. its right on the sea coast in zadar. its so beautiful i cant wait to go!

--------------------
VEGAN ASHLEY~IBS/C

It's tough! new
      #272435 - 07/04/06 11:09 AM
Wind

Reged: 04/02/05

little bear, to lose the habit is really tough--but worth it.

I smoked my last cigarette over 28 weeks ago. Nicoderm patches helped me.

I just could not put tobacco into my mouth anymore. I could not face another Canadian winter of smoking outdoors. I could not stand the nauseating stink of it. I hated being tied to the habit, ruled ritualistically by it. I hated the stigma of being a smoker. I hated feeling like my gut was an ashtray. It drained me. I also have asthma.

Warning: it's really hard. Take all the help you can get.

I don't take it for granted. Sometimes I get the urge to smoke, but truly I recognize that it's more the quick buzz I'm craving, that rush or high. Hmmm...I guess I substitute thoughts of sex, now.

You'll feel sick for a few weeks as the toxins release themselves.

Feel free to email me for encouragement & support (katenowak@msn.com).

It's the best decision I've made in years & I don't regret a moment of "sobriety."

Kate.

Good for you! My husband quit a few years back at my urging. It's so much better now. *nt new
      #272459 - 07/04/06 03:52 PM
hohoyumyum

Reged: 05/28/03
Loc: SacTown, CA

--------------------
If you're not dead, you've still got time.

Re: Good for you! My husband quit a few years back at my urging. It's so much better now. *nt new
      #272516 - 07/05/06 07:03 AM
lissylou73

Reged: 06/20/06
Loc: West Virginia (IBS G&P)

I used to smoke between one to one and a half packs of menthols a day. I quit cold turkey about 4 years ago. But there's a story about how I was able to do that. I went to lunch one day with a friend. We ate, talked, and smoked. Well about an hour later, I got deathly ill (food poisioning) and the last thing I had was a cigarette. So when I was sick, all I could taste was the cigarette. I haven't had one since, although I do still crave them once in a while. I just try to avoid other smokers (when they're smoking). I know that's going to be hard for you, but maybe your bf will quit with you! I'm trying to get my hubby to quit rubbing snuff (it's a West Virginia thing). I don't suggest quitting cold turkey. Like others here, try the patch or gum. Or what about hypnosis?

--------------------
"There are two means of refuge from the misery of life - music and cats."
Albert Schweitzer

#272819 - 07/06/06 03:57 PM
polly2004

Reged: 05/30/06
Loc: Minnesota

i quit smoking back in october!! good for you. i did the patch for 4 weeks. i think it really helped me. i feel a lot better than i used to. working out is a lot easier when you can actually breath....don't give up. i feel better now!

Hypnosis CD link new
      #272899 - 07/07/06 10:18 AM
hohoyumyum

Reged: 05/28/03
Loc: SacTown, CA

This is a link to the webpage of the woman I went to for IBS hypnotherapy. She's fantastic and she has CDs for many things, giving up smoking among them. Here's the link to her list of hypnosis CDs.

http://trancetime.com/cds.html#Stop_Smoking

--------------------
If you're not dead, you've still got time.

Re: am quitting smoking today thank goodness new
      #273110 - 07/08/06 02:30 PM
Honey mix

Reged: 11/16/05
Loc: USA wish it was England

I've never smoked and never will but I'm happy you're making a good desion besides you'll look prety instead of looking like you aged more than you really are so CONGRATS

--------------------
Puppies Are Cute But I'm Cuter

Update..... new
      #273137 - 07/08/06 05:31 PM
polly2004

Reged: 05/30/06
Loc: Minnesota

just checking to see how you are doing? I know it's hard, cuz i quit in october...once you get past the 1st week..i thought it was a lot easier. time will make it easier and you'll start to feel a lot better!! way to go~

Re: Hypnosis CD link new
      #273156 - 07/08/06 10:32 PM
little bear

thanks--thats sweet.

--------------------
VEGAN ASHLEY~IBS/C

*UPDATE* new
      #273157 - 07/08/06 10:35 PM
little bear

well i caved. ive had by far, the most emotionally exhausting and painful week that i could ever imagine. its an excuse, i know. i guess i didnt know how much i need them? its funny b/c i dont even smoke whole cigarettes! just drags every few times. i never even buy packs for myself. i drag off of my bf's. *disappointed at my failure* im going to my moms for a "break" on thursday until sunday, so i wont be smoking there! thanks guys for all your support~

--------------------
VEGAN ASHLEY~IBS/C

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 24 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 8517

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review