All Boards >> IBS Fitness & Lifestyle Board Discussions

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
no way out of being plump
      #271707 - 06/29/06 06:24 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

No matter how hard I try, I just can't keep my calories below 1700 or even 1800 most days! I like to eat, my stomach is used to it, and if I don't it is very bothersome. I have increased my fruits and veggies and attempted to decrease sugar, carbs etc, but I never feel satisfied. On top of that I exercise really hard every day and I am the kind of person who needs to eat while exercising. I can eat right before exercising and still need to eat right after or during. I just bonk if I don't. I feel something hormonal is going on this year worse than the last two. I put on 10 pounds this winter! And usually it comes off easily in summer. I mean I went backpacking in the heat and still gained 2 pounds!
Any suggestions?

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: no way out of being plump new
      #271721 - 06/29/06 08:48 PM
LostCode

Reged: 04/04/06

Have you checked to see if you're hypoglycemic? The symptoms you describe sound like you might have low blood sugar which is common in IBS. Just a thought.

--------------------
Jon - (IBS C)

#271937 - 06/30/06 08:07 PM
lissylou73

Reged: 06/20/06
Loc: West Virginia (IBS G&P)

Your thyroid may need checked, too. Just ask your doctor for a blood work-up. Also are you taking any medications that may cause slow weight loss/weight gain? I'm on Prozac and it is so hard for me to lose weight!

--------------------
"There are two means of refuge from the misery of life - music and cats."
Albert Schweitzer

#271997 - 07/01/06 09:59 AM
jaime g

Reged: 07/27/05
Loc: new york city

on the other hand, your body might just be healthy where it is. (if i remember correctly, you're not really overweight, right? just more than you'd like to be.) it makes sense for your body to resist going below 1800 calories - that's how much it needs. it might be genetic - if your ancestors lived through lots of famine type things, you might just be hardwired to hold onto it all.

--------------------
jaime
ibs-a (mostly d) // vegetarian

#272111 - 07/02/06 09:48 AM
Gracie

Reged: 11/25/05

Protien makes you feel more satisfied longer. How is your protein intake? Are you exercising daily or every other day with cardio and strength training?

LOL new
      #272471 - 07/04/06 05:48 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

I think my family history is all farmers and fur traders. So plenty to eat there unless because of the cold winters they packed it on! I guess I do that too!
Yes I am not fat. I weigh around 135 right now. I was 126 last summer and wanted to get down to 120 in summers and 125 in winter, but instead I gained 10 pounds.
I do a cross training sort of routine. I do intense weights with exercise ball etc 3x a week and aerobics about 5-6 times a week. I alternate between biking and walking/jogging/hiking. I also backpack. Unfortunately, my job is much more sedentary than my old jobs. I do force myself to exercise everyday but then some days at work I sit the whole time.
My diet plan right now is to allow myself things I know I need and then to reduce total amounts. I let myself eat a lot of fruit and I eat a good breakfast and quite a lot through the morning. I am trying to eat a smaller dinner and less sweet things in evening (I wish I didn't need any!). I also sometimes need something like trail mix or an extra luna bar to get through exercise.
Most days my diet is like this:
malt o meal (I cut out the raisins recently to save cals)
exercise 1 hour
luna
banana
fruit salad (pineapple, melon, berries)
some lunch such as leftovers or a sandwich or something and baby carrots
some snack like another banana and maybe something sweet
4-6oz meat, rice and vegetable with some sauce or something
maybe sherbet or a smoothie but often times a bowl of cereal in evening- or more, or chocolate I just find things taste so good I eat when I am not actually hungry. Also you guys need to get my water intake up to what it used to be. I hate running to the bathroom at work all the time. I so wish I worked at home!

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

Re: LOL new
      #272513 - 07/05/06 06:50 AM
lissylou73

Reged: 06/20/06
Loc: West Virginia (IBS G&P)

135 pounds? How tall are you? I'm only 5'3" and weigh about 140, but I'm still in my healthy weight range for my age (32 years old) and height. Although I would like to be around 120-125, too! But like an earlier poster said, maybe your body is at the weight it wants/needs to be. Increasing the water is important if you're trying to lose weight. I always got mad when people told me to do that because I didn't want to. But after a few days, your body adjusts to the increased water intake and the trips to the bathroom will decrease. I try to drink 2-3 liters of water a day and actually feel better since I've been doing that. And a note about your desk job. I have the same type of job and it sucks. I was watching 20/20 last week and this guy rigged his desk so he can walk all day long at work on a treadmill at 1 mph. I thought that was bizarre, but a good idea. I know we can't do that, but he suggests standing as much as you can (when typing, filing, whatever). Luckily I don't have a printer at my desk. So I have to run all over the office to gather my paperwork. Do you take a little brisk stroll on any of your breaks or your lunch? A lot of the day shift ladies at my job do that. I don't since I work nights. There are lots of creepy animals (bats, bugs, coyotes!) out there!

--------------------
"There are two means of refuge from the misery of life - music and cats."
Albert Schweitzer

Re:Hi, hon! Good to see you! new
      #272728 - 07/06/06 04:46 AM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Canada

It's great to see you. As for your questions, I have no idea. Here's a few ideas:
drinking enough water?
new meds causing hunger?
thyroid problem?
increase your protein a bit to help with the hunger?

I know how you feel. Last year I was on WW and HATED it. I starved myself for 12 weeks and excercised my butt off and didn't lose a pound - SO frustrating!!!! But seriously, hon, 10 pounds is nothing. If I recall correctly, your weight before was extremely healthy, so I wouldn't fuss too much. I have about 25 pounds to lose!!! Yikes!!!!

Good luck - and try not to be hard on yourself. And keep up with your waters!
XO
A.

--------------------
Formerly HanSolo. IBS, OCD, Bipolar, PTSD times 3.

LM new
      #273368 - 07/10/06 01:34 PM
cailin

Reged: 08/12/04
Loc: Dublin, Ireland

I'm in the same space as you LM- 5ft5, 138lbs, would like to be no more than 130 but I am a healthy weight, am fit and look well. Part of it is a battle with the scales and part of it is that my summer clothes are a bit tight.

I learned all about protein from a post Amanda Panda did a while back about her weight loss. (here)

I did a milder version of it for about a week and lost 3 stubborn pounds. I was very very stable at the time though. I ate things like fish fillets, tuna steaks, and chicken fillets for dinner with veggies and very little if any carbs. I stopped eating when I felt full. I usually do the opposite of this ie little meat lots of rice or pasta. It really did work though.

I didn't do Panda's brekkie suggestions as I am dodgy in the morning so I had smoothies or dry cereal, then for lunch a cold salmon fillet with some carby salads or rice, and for dinner usually a chicken or fish fillet with veggies, possibly a pitta bread or a smidgen of rice.

Try it (if you are stable enough).

The evening snacking is your killer though...can you empty the house of temptation or get lower calories/less damaging snacks?

Hope this is of some help to you.

NOW get some water into you

--------------------
S.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 86 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3088

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review