All Boards >> IBS Fitness & Lifestyle Board Discussions

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
STRENGTH TRAINING
      #271458 - 06/28/06 04:45 PM
lissylou73

Reged: 06/20/06
Loc: West Virginia (IBS G&P)

Hey! I usually post on the "Eating for IBS" thread, but I have a fitness question. I am not much for exercising, however, I recently joined my local YWCA. My question is, does strength training/weight lifting (Nautilus equipment) help burn calories? I usually go 3 times a week, start out on the treadmill for approximately 20 minutes, then do the weight machines for about 40 minutes. Since I don't like to exercise, but actually enjoy this, I want to be sure I'm getting the best workout for my time. Is what I'm going a good way to burn calories and firm, or should I do Pilates or Yoga instead?

--------------------
"There are two means of refuge from the misery of life - music and cats."
Albert Schweitzer

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: STRENGTH TRAINING new
      #271466 - 06/28/06 05:38 PM
hohoyumyum

Reged: 05/28/03
Loc: SacTown, CA

Any cardio will burn calories and boost your metabolism. Resistance training builds muscle. I've been told the best way to maximize your metabolism is to do 40-60 minutes of cardio per day. Any other training is for toning and sculpting.

--------------------
If you're not dead, you've still got time.

#271638 - 06/29/06 01:17 PM
jaq

Reged: 05/20/06
Loc: Bournemouth, England

The other advantage of weight training is that it increases your muscle and the more muscle you have, the faster you burn fat. Going to the gym and doing both, as you are, is a great all round work out.

However, you say you enjoy it but is it the best exercise for you? Well, the answer is yes, 'cause doing what we enjoy is means we will stick at it; trying to make yourself do something that's a chore will never work.

--------------------
Never EVER give up!

#271884 - 06/30/06 02:07 PM
LostCode

Reged: 04/04/06

It depends on how fast you're going on the treadmill. If you're looking to lose weight, jogging on the treadmill is your best option. Most treadmills have a button on the machine that lets you know how many calories you're burning at the speed you set.

Lifting weights will build muscle but you won't lose much weight. The benefit will be that your fat will be turning to muscle.

--------------------
Jon - (IBS C)

#271940 - 06/30/06 08:13 PM
lissylou73

Reged: 06/20/06
Loc: West Virginia (IBS G&P)

I thought that I had read that the more muscle one has, the more fat is burned. I'm glad to hear I wasn't dreaming that up! Anyway, I probably should increase my cardio time and speed. I haven't progressed to jogging on the treadmill since I'm such a clutz. I currently walk about 3 mph and make a mile in about 18 minutes. Thanks for the advice!

--------------------
"There are two means of refuge from the misery of life - music and cats."
Albert Schweitzer

#271968 - 07/01/06 06:44 AM
LostCode

Reged: 04/04/06

That's correct but muscle weighs more than fat so it's possible that you'll gain weight if you only lift weights.

If your only goal is to lose weight then jogging is your best bet. It helps to have some muscle though too.

--------------------
Jon - (IBS C)

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 42 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2470

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review