All Boards >> IBS Fitness & Lifestyle Board Discussions

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
IBS and Binge Eating disorder
      #268162 - 06/07/06 02:47 PM
MayMoon

Reged: 11/02/05

I've had IBS for about two years, and I've been battling a binge eating disorder for four. I've found a way that has helped many people overcome their binge eating disorder. It requires eliminating sugar and flour. I really want to try this plan but it doesn't seem to work well with the eating for IBS diet guidelines. Bread and cereal are staples of my diet for IBS. I was wondering if anyone else is battling an eating disorder and if they may have any tips. Also if anyone sees how I can incorporate both the help for IBS guidelines and a sugar and flour free diet please let me know. Thanks very much.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Heres my advice... new
      #268164 - 06/07/06 03:06 PM
Natalie1985

Reged: 08/09/04
Loc: UK - Leeds for uni, Merseyside for home!

and this is coming from someone who, although Ive never been diagnosed with any eating disorder or anything, have battled seriously when its come to food. Ive been there and am still struggling with the whole...all I think about is food issue. It ruled my life for a long time and I obsessed about it...and I still have issues...like for me...eating a chocolate in a box isnt enough...I need the whole box....and that goes for biscuits and anything else filled with sugar and usually flour. I understand completely...it gets the point where you tell yourself no I will just have one...but inside of you its like you're burning up just thinking I need more I need more...Ive demolised sooooo many things in one go to the point where it is scary...I end up thinking to myself that that is not right to be able to eat that much in one go...and so unhealthy. I know its all psychological and related to me compensating food for other things...but its a hard thing to break. I am much better than I was...but I do have days.

All I can say is that Ive just been to see a dietician and Ive talked to her about my IBS and wanting to eat healthily and lose weight etc...and cutting out flour and sugar is a BIG THING. Ive managed 65 days without them before...and I wish I never broke that cos from then on it was a downward spiral again. Living without flour and sugar and managing IBS IS possible Ive DONE IT before!! I have actually banned them both from today...and this time its serious...the dietician was so nice to me and really gave me the kick up the a*** that I needed...its going to be hard but Im sure I can do it..Im one determined little missy.

I could go on and on about all the ibs safe things and ways of eating for non sugar non wheat(ie flour) but this may end up as a VERY long thread...so if you want to know anything just email me(its in my profile) and I'll send you more advice.

YOU CAN DO IT...and Im here if you need anyone who understands....and well done for coming here for support...you're one step closer to getting yourself better!!!

(((((((((((((HUGS))))))))))))))

--------------------
Natalie

Re: Heres my advice... new
      #268187 - 06/07/06 05:33 PM
aross

Reged: 05/27/06
Loc: Alabama

I have been bulimic for 13 years and struggle with it on a daily basis. When I had my son I weighed 160 pounds and I am only 5 feet tall. Within 2 months I had lost 62 pounds and was still feeling fat. I have been diagnosed with IBS since I was pregnant with him...14 years...I was 3 months pregnant and I guess most of the reason why I didn't have attacks from my IBS was because I threw everything up as soon as I ate it...a cracker or binge attacks. It didn't matter. What my doctor (my gyno) told me was that I had to get a handle on the eating disorder before he would even refer me to another doctor for colonoscopy or any other test to confirm my IBS and not colon cancer or Crohns (it is within my family). So here I am 14 years later...I still struggle with my eating disorder but have become more aware of it and talk to people openly about it. I bought Heather's book "Eating for IBS" and learned through it that this diet is a thinning diet but you have to be aware of what you are buying. For one thing I buy low fat or light crackers, cereals, and etc...and I eat in moderation. Yes, I have gained weight (not because of the IBS diet) but because I have come to grips with if I kept on with the binging or just not eating, I was slowly killing myself...and not learning to cope with my IBS. Learn to read the labels on everything you buy and do some research on the ingredients in the products. You can eat healthy, maintain a heathly weight, and control your IBS all at the same time. It is not going to be easy, but with determination, you can do it. I just think of my children without a mother if I didn't get a handle on my eating disorder. I thought of my new husband without a wife...and was being thin really being happy? Only you can make that decision, but without sounding harsh...those models in the magazines are all air brushed and have their own problems. I wish you all the luck in the world because I know it is difficult. Good luck keep us posted.

--------------------
Angela
IBS-D and C

Ive decided I will post all my food stuff.... new
      #268315 - 06/08/06 12:18 PM
Natalie1985

as much as I can...thanks to all the people who emailed me asking about it....as there was a few of you I thought it might be helpful to more people so I will post...I'll start trying to post updates weekly maybe with food ideas for all things ibs safe and non sugar/non wheat....will try doing one as soon as....

Heres a link by the way to a post I wrote which has some stuff about what I was eating a while back when I was on a no sugar/no wheat thing...theres more things that I eat now and different things Ive tried so will post those soon...hope this might be of some help though... Food Ideas

--------------------
Natalie

Re: Ive decided I will post all my food stuff.... new
      #268350 - 06/08/06 03:42 PM
cailin

Reged: 08/12/04
Loc: Dublin, Ireland

great, I look forward to reading it Nat and getting inspiration from you!

--------------------
S.

Inspiration...me???? lol... new
      #268352 - 06/08/06 03:46 PM
Natalie1985

you tickle me sinead...that is toooooooooooo funny!!! lol

--------------------
Natalie

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 55 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2531

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review