All Boards >> IBS Fitness & Lifestyle Board Discussions

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
For Beth (Augie) - food report
      #266252 - 05/29/06 06:49 PM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

PLEASE NOTE: I do eat things that are not generally IBS-safe... newbies who stumble across this should definitely NOT take this as totally safe, because it isn't.

Breakfast:
1 egg over easy
1 very thin slice of Melba toast*
1/2 cup fresh strawberries

{way too early} Lunch:
about 1 1/2 cups homemade antipasto - french cut green beans, pickled peppers, crisp cooked cauliflower, raw carrots, mushrooms, raw onions, with my homemade no-oil virtually-no-calorie viniagrette
1 slice Melba toast
1 small apple, raw

Snack:
Banana

Snack:
yogurt and peaches

Snack:
slice of Melba toast

Dinner:
Spiral pasta with LOTS of chopped tomatoes and herbs, about 2 cups
1/2 cup sliced cooked carrots
(this dinner is not typical for me... I normally eat a LOT more IF at dinnertime, and I try to avoid eating pasta whenever possible now, but I was lazy and ate leftovers instead)

Dessert:
small piece apple-banana cake with fresh strawberries & a little cool whip

Beverages:
Teeccino w/ non-dairy creamer, Kool Aid, diet Pepsi (bad Casey!)

Supplements:
NONE. I don't take a SFS, no probiotics, no herbs, nothing other than a multivitamin when I remember to take it.

*Melba toast: You take a loaf of unsliced white bread and freeze it. While it's still frozen, you slice it no thicker than 1/8" thick. Lay the slices in single layers on baking sheets, and bake at 225 for 30-45 minutes, till they're very lightly browned and uniformly crisp. Once cool, you can store them indefinitely in an airtight container - you've basically just made bread crackers.

Hope that helps a little, Beth. As you can see, I really eat as little SF as I can get away with - all those pieces of Melba toast add up to maybe 2 normal slices of bread. And if I don't eat that much IF, I don't and can't *go*... and I'm not even a C'er, which is why I always nag you to try eating more IF.

And I owe you email! Tomorrow!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Casey! new
      #266266 - 05/29/06 10:11 PM
Stephie

Reged: 03/10/04
Loc: Vancouver, Canada

Hey Casey!

Nice to see you again!
Your diet sounds super healthy, I would absolutely DIE if I ate some of that stuff but it looks like you are doing really well!
I know you were really struggling with your weight and eating, it sounds like you are doing a lot better?
How are you feeling these days?

Let us know, we miss you!
**hugs**
Steph

--------------------
~~I'm not crazy, I'm just a little unwell-I know right now you can't tell~~Matchbox 20
IBS-D,pain.

Stephie! new
      #266284 - 05/30/06 04:38 AM
atomic rose

Hi!! *hugs* Miss you too! I've just been super-busy... my dad's moving to Maine, and working on his house (and ours too!) is really taking up all my time. But I still read, even if I don't have time to post. And IBS-wise, I haven't had a problem in ages, so I'm doing good!

I'm still struggling with my weight, eating, and depression... changing my BC pill helped a little, for a couple months, but now I'm right back to where I was. I'm probably going to quit hormone BC altogether and see how I feel. I think I was a lot more sane and level-headed without it - which stinks, because it's nice to not worry about getting PG, but I guess NOT being nuts is more important.

Anyway, this is all TMI. LOL!

Thanks for asking about me! *hugs* How's things with you these days?

And here's what I'm eating today! new
      #266323 - 05/30/06 07:56 AM
AstroChick

Reged: 12/30/03
Loc: Chicago, IL, USA

6 AM: 1 heaping tablespoon of acacia in a cup of water, multivitamin, Ester C capsule, 2 fish oil capsules

8 AM: 3/4 c sliced strawberries, 1 Silk soy yogurt, 2 thick slices of "country bread" from Whole Foods

lunch: Cal-Mag tablet, 1/4 c garlic hummus, 8 Kalamata olives, 1 Greek pita (which I think is half whole wheat, half white flour), banana

snack: Luna bar

late afternoon: Joint Care Plus before I do any gardening

dinner: 1 heaping T acacia in a cup of water (or peppermint iced tea, since I have that in the fridge), grilled tilapia, 3/4 c mesclun greens, and either a slice of bread or more veggies or a slice of watermelon, depending on my belly's mood

dessert: 1 cup chocolate soy milk

All day long: herbal tea, herbal iced tea, and water - at least 64 oz and probably more since it's hot here

That's *everything*!

--AC

Chiming in... new
      #266324 - 05/30/06 08:00 AM
AstroChick

Casey, you might want to try NuvaRing before giving up on hormonal BC altogether. I'm feeling way more stable IBS-wise and mood-wise on it - I think because it's a constant low level of hormones rather than a daily bump of them. I'm also skipping the week off, so that also is keeping me on a more even keel.

I will admit that it took a few weeks for everything to smooth out, but that happened when I changed pills, too.

--AC

Re: And here's what I'm eating today! new
      #266344 - 05/30/06 09:19 AM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

Thank you. Can I ask, what is "country bread"? Is is whole wheat or white?

It looks like you use your Acacia for your SF base for dinner?

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

Re: For Beth (Augie) - food report new
      #266346 - 05/30/06 09:22 AM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

So, you're eating dairy and whole eggs, are ya!

What is antipasto? A noodle dish? And I'm assuming the apple is with the peel. And most of the veggies were cooked? And peaches canned?

I don't know, Casey. It seems like I'm eating just as much IF as you and AC and LM. I think I'll post my meals for a while if people are willing to give me feedback about my IF/SF ratio.

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

The recipe for antipasto is right there, Beth... new
      #266350 - 05/30/06 09:33 AM
atomic rose

It's just vegetables. No pasta. Some of the veggies were cooked, some were raw. The peaches were fresh. I always leave the peels on my fruit. Oh, and I usually put the antipasto over a couple cups of shredded lettuce, but I didn't have any yesterday... that's how I'm eating it today.

My point is that I'm not even a C'er and I eat this much, so you should eat MORE.

I've been eating whole eggs for a long time now - they don't bother me, as long as I only eat 1 and watch the fat in the rest of the meal. As for the yogurt, that was desperation - LOL! I really wanted a snack, and that's all we had. I'm very surprised that it didn't bother me, but I'm going to call that a fluke, and not make a habit of eating dairy. That was my second-worst trigger before the diet!

Speaking of diet - I actually started a low-calorie diet yesterday, so I'm still waiting to see how my guts react to a REDUCED amount of IF. I DID eat more than this. We'll see, I guess...

I can't new
      #266352 - 05/30/06 09:35 AM
atomic rose

I'm on MaineCare, a form of Medicaid, and they only pay for certain forms of BC. (Just pills, basically.) They don't pay for the NuvaRing, and there's no way I could afford it out of pocket, even if I could find a pharmacy that would circumvent MaineCare and let me fill the prescrip. It's a shame - I've heard nothing but good things about the ring, too!

Re: My food report 5-29 new
      #266356 - 05/30/06 10:05 AM
lalala

Reged: 02/14/05

I'm not sure if this will be of much help to you, Beth. I don't think I ate very well today. Since I'm more D than C, I tend to eat a lot more rice products and SF (especially now that I'm taking meds for lupus that may cause occasional digestive problems). Although, I definitely need more IF because I have been a bit C the last week. I'm also trying to put on a few more pounds. I don't keep track of the exact times I eat, but I'm probably eating about every 2-3 hours. I tried to give you an estimate/measurement of how much I'm eating and drinking too. I'm glad you asked us to do this, because I like to see what others are eating as well.

Chocolate Peppermint Stick Luna Bar
8 oz water

chunk of French bread ( = 2 slices of bread)
bowl of Rice Chex w/ plain rice milk
1/2 cup canned peaches
16 oz water

2 Van's Wheat Free Blueberry Waffles
1/2 cup pineapple tidbits
8 oz water

cup of Teeccino

2 corn tortillas w/ avocado slices (1/4 medium sized avocado), about 4 cherry tomatoes
Stash Lemon Ginger tea

Tri-colored rotini pasta w/ tuna, 3/4 cup of chopped broccoli (cooked), 1/4 cup carrot slices (cooked), some chopped onion, a few slices of pepperoncini
16 oz water

2 small scoops Vanilla Soy Dream

cup of Rice Chex
spoonful of PB
water

**Not taking any other supplements at this time.
**Meds for IBS include Imodium as needed (now I'm down to 1 caplet every couple of weeks!), 10 mg amitriptyline before bed
**Now that I'm finally spending more hours awake than sleeping, I'm trying to figure out an exercise program.

Edited by Maria!Maria! (05/30/06 10:11 AM)

Re: For Beth (Augie) - food report new
      #266358 - 05/30/06 10:13 AM
Wind

Reged: 04/02/05

Here's mine (don't let it scare you!). Note: I follow my own style of eating and I'm totally moodie and seasonal when it comes to food.

Also, I eat a lot and I think that's why I'm thin.

--spaghetti squash (2c.)
--red swiss chard (3c.), pureed

--raspberries, 2 c., pureed

--mushrooms, 2 c.
--green beans, 4 c. (pureed)
--spring mix, 125 g.

--3 c. fresh apricots (pureed)

Beverages: water, camomile lemon tea (2L), flat diet gingerale and diet cran-raspberry seltzer, and diet coke.

No coffee and no cigarettes!!!
40 min. walk
6 Prodiem caps. in 3 doses.

Kate.

Re: Casey new
      #266361 - 05/30/06 10:15 AM
lalala

Your food list looks delicious, Casey! You really do get in a lot of IF, but that's good!

Thanks for posting the recipe for making Melba toast. Wasn't sure what this was, but it sounds like a great way to make safe crackers!

Re: Kate new
      #266363 - 05/30/06 10:18 AM
lalala

Great to see you're still smoke-free! How long has it been now?

A 40 minute walk? That's excellent!

We haven't "talked" in a while, so I'm really impressed to hear how well you've been doing.

Re: I can't new
      #266384 - 05/30/06 11:20 AM
AstroChick

That really sucks. Maybe they'll add it once it's a little less new? I'd think that with compliance issues alone, they'd want to pay for it. (Ah, and it is a relief to not be always thinking "Did I take my pill?")

I send an eyeroll of disapproval in the general direction of MaineCare...

--AC

Re: And here's what I'm eating today! new
      #266387 - 05/30/06 11:25 AM
AstroChick

Ya know, I'm not exactly sure what their Country Bread is. It's definitely not 100% whole wheat, but I think it may have a little whole wheat flour in it. Maybe call it "hearty white" or something. It's not too terribly different than sourdough.

Since the husband critter is eating low carb and doing most of the dinner cooking, I generally rely on my acacia for my SF then (especially when I'm tending more towards C). If I feel less stable, I'll grab some pasta or a slice of sourdough and cut back on the veggies. But mostly, I'll go a little more IF-heavy for dinner since the food is there and I often slack off on the IF during the day because I'm lazy.

--AC

Re: AC - question new
      #266389 - 05/30/06 11:31 AM
lalala

Do you find mesclun greens easier to digest than full-grown greens/lettuce? Or is it just a matter of taste?

Ooh, I've never had peppermint iced tea, but that sounds so refreshing. I'll have to try that this summer.

Re: Kate new
      #266390 - 05/30/06 11:40 AM
Wind

Reged: 04/02/05

Actually, I'm just plain bummed lately. I just cannot sleep--even with sleeping pills-- and that takes it's toll. (Also, it's probably reflected in my menu. If I eat in a generally depressed frame of mind, I literally veg. out or go funny with fruit. At least I prepare it in IBS-safe ways, for me.)

I'd blame it on PMS--that's what it feels like--except, I'm menopausal.

Eventually I'll sleep. It's been 23 weeks without a butt. I gave up coffee about 2.5 weeks ago--hey, isn't caffeine an upper? No wonder!!! My worst damage is a cup or two of jasmine green tea or earl grey.

I'll send you a note. I was thinking of you yesterday.

Oh, one more thing--I am really hairy again and treated myself to a haircut a few weeks ago.

Kate.

I found the idea... new
      #266430 - 05/30/06 01:27 PM
atomic rose

...in this AWESOME breakfast cookbook I have... I should really post more of the recipes from that, there's a lot that's IBS-safe or easily made so, and much of it is simple ideas like this one. Melba toast tastes so much better than crackers, I can't even believe it - and I get day-old loaves of bread for 50 cents at the corner grocery, so it's cheap, too!

What I eat new
      #266463 - 05/30/06 04:03 PM
cailin

Reged: 08/12/04
Loc: Dublin, Ireland

You probably get the gist of this from the days that I report in but here goes:

Brekkie: Either oatmeal made on water with some fresh pineapple or melon chunks OR banana bread and a soy yogurt OR dry Crunchy Nut Cornflakes and a banana OR weetabix with soy milk

Snacks during the day: Ricecakes OR fruit salad OR banana OR hummus and pitta bread OR soy yogurt

Lunch: tuna, coleslaw and tomato/corn sandwich on wholemeal bread OR rice and veg ie carrots, parsnips or rice/potatoes and salad ie a small amount of greens, tuna, pasta salad, tomatoes

Dinner: one of (this is a selection that I can think of)
-Chicken breast pieces stirfried with vegetables like peppers, mushrooms,onions, some cashew nuts and soy sauce and brown rice
-Pasta with a Dolmio Stir in Sauce, sometimes with tuna
- Chicken in mustard sauce with rice and veggies
-chicken sausages with some carb and veggies
-ratatouille (homemade) with pasta or rice, sometimes with chicken or turkey sausage in it
-turkey bolognese
-fish, grilled with rice and veggies, sometimes reduced fat mayo
-shrimp/prawns any way -I love them

for veggies I eat carrots, mushrooms, peppers, a tiny amount of greens, zucchini, leeks (sometimes), peas, sugar snap peas

Drinks: Apple juice, flat 7up (European one doesn't have HFCS) mint tea, homemade smoothies with bananas, berries and apple juice

I also eat some unsafe things like chocolate biscuits and a glass of wine occasionally but not every day.

I am A and tend to get very C if I don't get veggies into me or brown things like rice or weetabix. If I am crampy I avoid the green and brown things.

Hope this helps- Any questions?

--------------------
S.

Re: AC - question new
      #266917 - 06/01/06 08:42 AM
AstroChick

The mesclun just tastes better to me, and I think the texture makes me more likely to chew it properly.

Peppermint ice tea rocks, particularly if you sweeten it up right after you brew it. I also like brewing up decaf Lipton's with a fruity herb tea - it's nice and sweet even without sugar, which is good for the diabetic dude in the house.

--AC

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 123 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 9615

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review