All Boards >> IBS Fitness & Lifestyle Board Discussions

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)
Butting in to get some advice, Panda... new
      #265511 - 05/25/06 08:12 AM
epa_ginger

Reged: 02/23/05
Loc: Chicago, IL

Ok, so you know I'm pregnant (6 months) and my major problem right now is too many carbs and not enough protein. I never used to be quite so bad, but lately it's all I find myself eating! So reading your post I got "reminded" of some types of protein I could be eating, like...turkey bacon/soy sausage, etc. My problem is I can't do eggs or egg whites--about 5 years ago they started giving me stomach aches for who knows what reason. And beans--well, can't do too much of those for GI reasons.

So..I know you said you don't snack but I pretty much HAVE to or I'll die (not really), so I need better snack ideas. My doctor is ok with my weight gain so far, and I've been going to the gym for treadmill/elliptical and swimming a few times a week so I don't feel like a sloth. But I've been feeling a real lack of protein and a decreased satisfaction from eating lately, you know what I mean?

Oh--and I can tolerate a lot more foods than most people on these boards, luckily. Like artifical sweeteners, dairy, etc. I avoid certain veggies and beans and eggs and avocados (sniff sniff).
I need help thinking I want muffins, and cake, and bagels, and cookies, and on and on..
Thanks!

--------------------

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Thanks Panda.. this is inspiring! new
      #265667 - 05/26/06 06:34 AM
cailin

Reged: 08/12/04
Loc: Dublin, Ireland

Amanda, I found your post really interesting, thanks.
Congratulations on your weight loss.

Breakfast I think would be my main issue, I don't think that I could stomach a carbfree brekkie. Oatmeal and fruit is my current one.

Are you eating any fruit/vegetables/juices or just having the chicken/fish/shrimp and marinade?

--------------------
S.

my pleasure new
      #266293 - 05/30/06 06:02 AM
AmandaPanda, J.D.

Reged: 04/26/04
Loc: New York, New York

Nope, not eating any fruits, veggies, or juices, which as I mentioned is leaving me somewhat C but not painfully so. My graduation was last weekend and my nephew's baptism was this past weekend, so I haven't been fanatical about my diet. I'll cheat for a couple days and then go back on it. I'm sure I'm depriving myself of some important nutrients by cutting out the fruits and veggies but I can't say i care all that much. Besides. I feel like I was on the what to eat when you can't eat anything diet for like a year to stabilize, and there were no fruits or veggies there either, and I didn't die. What's good about this diet is that I'm finally getting more protein, which my doctor said I urgently needed since I was getting anemic (certainly not from the IBS diet, more because I just don't love meat, and because I lazily relied on rice and pasta to fill me up).

As I said, I've been remarkably stable for a while, so I think I can get away with straying from the IBS diet more than your average person. I would not recommend the no-carb diet for C'ers, for sure, since there is no IF. But if you're A with a slight tendancy to D, or if you're a fairly stable D, I don't think it's terribly harmful in the short term. Everyone is differnt, though!

--------------------
Amanda

I live in the Big Apple, but I don't eat the skin

Re: Butting in to get some advice, Panda... new
      #266297 - 05/30/06 06:09 AM
AmandaPanda, J.D.

Reged: 04/26/04
Loc: New York, New York

Hey Ginger!
See if you can tolerate fat free cottage cheese (or low fat, anyway -- I know you are not trying to lose weight but I think the lower fat varieties might be easier on the tummy). They are a great snack. They don't really taste like much but they are packed with protein and they keep me full. I know both of my SILs had terrible constipation with their pregnancies, and neither of them has IBS, so I don't know if things like cheese are the best idea, but I guess you can experiment. How about Luna bars, too? Aren't they pretty high in protein (though also high-ish in carbs?) At least they would be better than a muffin. My mom likes Pria bars too -- you could check out the ingredients in them and see where that gets you.

I don't really have a lot of ideas for avoiding carbs as far as snacking goes. I think I just have some kind of crazy willpower -- I tell myself muffins and things are off limits, and then I just don't want them anymore. One thing I really liked was making merengue cookies with splenda, but if eggwhites are a problem for you, then those are probably out.
Do you like nuts? They're a great snack -- lots of fiber, protein, healthy fats.
Hurry up and have that baby -- I want to see pictures! I really almost ate my nephew this weekend at his baptism. His legs look like little creamy sticks of butter and he's just delicious! I'll try to post pictures at some point.

Hope that helped!
Amanda

--------------------
Amanda

I live in the Big Apple, but I don't eat the skin

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 39 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 16283

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review