All Boards >> IBS Fitness & Lifestyle Board Discussions

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
IBS at work only
      #261304 - 05/03/06 11:38 AM
anorak

Reged: 05/03/06

This may sound crazy, and my doctor dimisses it, but...

I only suffer from IBS like symptoms on work days!

I'm a 50 year old male with a sedentary job working as an I.T. consultant. Every work day the same pattern: wake up feeling OK, by late morning my bowels are starting to churn with excessive gas, after lunch is the worst with extreme bloating and sometimes diarrhoea, symptoms then get less severe late afternoon / early evening. BUT THIS DOESN'T HAPPEN AT WEEKENDS.

Can IBS like symptoms be brought on purely through posture? i.e. long periods of sitting. At the weekend my kids don't give me time to sit around and I'm generally very active anyway. I'm not overweight and have found that swimming (about a mile) is great at relieving the symptoms, albeit temporarily.

Any comments?

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: IBS at work only new
      #261322 - 05/03/06 12:53 PM
AstroChick

Reged: 12/30/03
Loc: Chicago, IL, USA

Yeah, posture could do it, but IBS only at work screams stress to me. (Or perhaps because I'm an IT person too plays into it.) One other thing: are you eating differently during the week than during the weekend? Are you getting enough sleep during the week?

I think you probably need to reduce your variables here. Make sure you're not sleep deprived during the week. Try to eat the same foods at the same intervals during the week as you do on the weekend. Try to take walking breaks during the day or look into "chair yoga" to stretch out.

But I'm guessing the IBS hypnosis program would do you a world of good!

--AC, programmer of a certain age

#261333 - 05/03/06 01:25 PM
LostCode

Reged: 04/04/06

For some reason I get IBS worse depending on where I'm at too but I don't think mine is stress related. If I'm at a continuing education class which I don't enjoy taking then I never seem to get IBS type symptoms.

It's possible that I'm allergic to something in my home? It's possible it's the paint or mold or something. Just a thought. Could it be something like that at work? Did you get the same symptoms at a previous job? Stress is the main culprit but it's atleast something to think about.

--------------------
Jon - (IBS C)

#261335 - 05/03/06 01:33 PM
cailin

Reged: 08/12/04
Loc: Dublin, Ireland

Astrochick, you read my mind.
Stress is a huge trigger, so if you are stressed at work or even nervous then that is more likely. Also, things like do you drink a lot of coffee when at work but less when home at the weekends, if your diet varies a lot between week and weekend that could be the reason too. And, as Astrochick said, sleep deprivation.

--------------------
S.

Stress is a huge trigger....~nt~ new
      #261379 - 05/03/06 03:43 PM
nomorepooch

Reged: 04/18/06

--------------------
Have a blessed day! Rachel
Formerly poochibelly...
I have IBS but it doesn't have me!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 228 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3828

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review