All Boards >> IBS Fitness & Lifestyle Board Discussions

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Work issues
      #258758 - 04/18/06 04:10 PM
bev28

Reged: 08/24/05

This is my first time posting and I could not figure out where my question would fit in. This forum came the closest, although I think the research library would have been more direct but I was unable to post there. I am in danger of losing my job because my IBS has become so bad that I cannot always get to work on time. I am a librarian in a college, and we got a new dean last summer who was asked by my director to help him since I was occasionally late and also stayed too late (which was to make up the time, but he would rather I just worked the hours I was supposed to). I knew my lateness was due to my having to use the bathroom many times before leaving my house, but I had never been able to tell him much about it because I was embarrassed. Once the dean began to complain to me (in very upsetting meetings and e-mails), however, I learned as much as I could about IBS (especially from this site - thank you so much!) that I started explaining it to my director and the dean. However, her reaction (the dean's) was that I should get up earlier so that I could make it in on time. I told her that waking up earlier wouldn't help much (and I have tried to do this) since the attacks come when they want to and I have even been on the way to work when I have had to turn around and go home to get to the bathroom ASAP! Sometimes I have only been 15 minutes late, but when it is really bad, I might even be 2 hours late! What I need to know is where can I find some documentation on the subject of, as my dean would call it, "chronic lateness" - I call it "chronic illness" -- something to help her understand my predicament and perhaps even be a bit flexible as to when I arrive at work and even allow me to make time up at the end of my shift? I hope I'm explaining this clearly. All I know is that ever since she started in on me, I have become severely stressed and I know that is the reason my IBS is worse than ever! Can anyone help me with this problem? I have searched all over the web but could find nothing about IBS and work issues except that it does cause a lot of absenteeism. She has called a big meeting with me, my director, the human resources director, herself, and my union rep, for next Tuesday, and I know it will be very stressful and maybe even the end of my career (I am having stomach pains right now just thinking about - and dreading - that meeting!), so any help would be so greatly appreciated!
Thanks so much, Beverly

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Work issues new
      #258778 - 04/18/06 05:35 PM
Sara-Sage

Reged: 02/04/04

I think if you post in the "IBS DIET" section you'll get lots of responses. This one is for exercise more or less.

Good luck!

What happened at the meeting? - nt - new
      #264723 - 05/22/06 04:00 AM
Double J

Reged: 03/09/06
Loc: High Rocky Mountains ibs-d

--------------------
Courage doesn’t always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, “I will try again tomorrow”. Mary Anne Radmacher

I think it's tomorrow JB new
      #264768 - 05/22/06 10:18 AM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

I hope it goes okay, Bev.

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

Me too!! - nt - new
      #264788 - 05/22/06 11:51 AM
Double J

Reged: 03/09/06
Loc: High Rocky Mountains ibs-d

--------------------
Courage doesn’t always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, “I will try again tomorrow”. Mary Anne Radmacher

Bev, you okay?-nt new
      #265833 - 05/26/06 07:10 PM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

Try this British Website. new
      #265934 - 05/27/06 03:28 PM
jaq

Reged: 05/20/06
Loc: Bournemouth, England

Not sure how to do links here but I found

www.ibsnetwork.org.uk

Had a clear and easily printable information. Do you have an official diagnosis yet? A note from your doctor would surely help here too.

--------------------
Never EVER give up!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 25 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3574

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review