All Boards >> IBS Fitness & Lifestyle Board Discussions

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Just starting running
      #256405 - 04/05/06 04:02 AM
scarrlet86

Reged: 02/21/06
Loc: California

My boyfriend and I have just decided to start running together to improve our health. Does anyone have any advice for a new runner, and anything that applies to running and IBS? I've never done any running or a sport, but I used to be very active in dancing, especially Scottish Highland Dance which is extremely athletic. I know from that experience that I am prone to shin splints and arch pain. I know how to deal with these problems in dance, but not in running. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Also, is it ok to run during an IBS flare-up, or is it better to stay in bed? Thanks.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Just starting running new
      #256421 - 04/05/06 06:41 AM
epa_ginger

Reged: 02/23/05
Loc: Chicago, IL

What kind of IBS do you have? I tend to be C and bloat with gas, so I actually found running helped me in that regard (especially if there was no one behind me, ha ha).
As for shin splints, make sure you get REALLY good shoes. Go to a place where someone who knows what they are doing will sit down and find the right shoe for your type of foot, arches, etc. If you really plan to make running a part of your life, this is important. When I was running (I'm pregnant now), I was really only running 3 miles at a time, 4-5 times a week, and shoes made a big difference for me.
And...start slow. Don't just all of a sudden start running. Start with walking/running and gradually work up to running the whole time. And good luck!

--------------------

Re: Just starting running new
      #256519 - 04/05/06 12:30 PM
Stephie

Reged: 03/10/04
Loc: Vancouver, Canada

Hi there,

I am not a runner myself, but I know some people who have tried running with IBS.
I agree with what epaginger said about being IBS-C and the running helping. I know a couple of people who have trouble with constipation who find exercise, running especially, really helpful.
I personally am an IBS-D and I find that if I am already mid-attack (where I've been having D and cramping already that day), any kind of intense exercise does seem to make it worse. I find that something like running is a bit worse because of all the bouncing up and down whereas something more stationary like a bike, or even an elliptical that is smooth won't give me any problems.

I would try it, though, as running is supposed to be so good for you and lots of people swear it is the best way to lose weight.
I also really agree about the shoes, I know people who have gotten feet and back problems and it turned out just to be their shoes! Once they got proper shoes, no more problems!

Good luck, let us know how it goes!

Steph

--------------------
~~I'm not crazy, I'm just a little unwell-I know right now you can't tell~~Matchbox 20
IBS-D,pain.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 338 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1314

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review