All Boards >> IBS Fitness & Lifestyle Board Discussions

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
I joined a gym!
      #255094 - 03/29/06 12:59 AM
cailin

Reged: 08/12/04
Loc: Dublin, Ireland

I cancelled my old gym in January as I hadn't been since I got back in November (which meant it was August that I was there last)

Last night I joined a new gym, the one where P and one of my friends are members. I went down there with P and signed up. It has a pool, and way, way more machines than my old gym plus tons and tons of classes. I was so proactive I even made an appointment to get an assessment and personal fitness programme done up for 8pmn tonight. I am delighted that I have done this. My aim is to go three times a week and to go to at least one class a week, hopefully two, a spin one and a body toning one. I will post on my progress later today as to how the assessment went and then post from time to time when I get into my routine.

P goes to the gym really often so if I could go each time he goes I will be doing really well.

--------------------
S.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: I joined a gym! new
      #255124 - 03/29/06 08:41 AM
Shell Marr

Reged: 08/04/03
Loc: Seattle, WA USA

wwooohhoo...that is great!!

--------------------
www.facebook.com/shell.marr

www.myspace.com/shellmarr

Re: I joined a gym! new
      #255131 - 03/29/06 09:09 AM
Sara-Sage

Reged: 02/04/04

That's AWESOME Sinead!!!!

Let us know the results!

Sinead... new
      #255192 - 03/29/06 12:36 PM
Sara-Sage

I'm going to get Tommy to take a "before" pic of me so when I get discouraged I can hopefully see the difference in the "after" shot in a month or 2.

Maybe you could get your hubby to do the same for you? It's kinda neat that we're starting this at the same time. We can encourage each other!

Re: Sinead... new
      #255209 - 03/29/06 01:26 PM
cailin

Thanks girls!

The before pic is a great idea Tina. I already have tons to look at to remember so I don't even need one at the moment. I have jeans that are struggling to contain my untoned thighs so I will ask them to give evidence!

I went for my assessment tonight and the trainer was really good. She asked about my goals (cardio fitness, the run in 8 weeks) and gave me a realistic workout. I am a healthy weight but I want to shed a few pounds to fit back into my skinnier clothes.

So, she recommended doing spin classes (which are amazing for cardio, and exhausting too) or 45 mins cardio with only using a max of two machines. Then she gave me toning exercises for my midriff as she said the machines will do enough for me in the upper and lower body toning.

We'll see!

You will find that in the last few weeks coming up to your wedding no matter what you eat you won't put on weight! It's God's gift to brides and a result of all the wedding running around trying to organise things and do things on your lunchbreak etc.

Good luck with this. P is on board with me as he has fitness goals too so we are going to help each other out, and we are in the same gym so we are going to motivate each other to go. Each Monday I am going to report in my reporting in how many days in the previous week that I went to the gym (minimum three) so that I am accountable here too- do you want to play that game too?

--------------------
S.

Re: Sinead... new
      #255224 - 03/29/06 02:51 PM
Sara-Sage

Yes you're right. I have three pairs of pants that I can't zip up. One is a pair of jeans that I want to wear. So I will also use clothing as a measure of my weight.

Your workout plan sounds great!!! I've never tried spinning, it's not offered at my gym. I hear it's insane but you'll see results!

I'm sure that's true about not gaining weight before the wedding. I hope!

I would post on the boards what I do but our kitchen calendar is the spot where I have been keeping track of it. I've already gone 4 days this week. Sun-kickboxing, Mon-new routine, Tues-just 30 mins cardio, Wed-yoga and tomorrow I'm doing my routine again. But thanks for asking me if I want to play along!!!!

If I get lazy, I'll start posting. Right now, Tommy keeps me motivated (he pays for my membership too so I don't want to waste his money) to go and the fact that I HAVE to wear a bathing suit for my honeymoon in June. That's tons of motivation!

Tina-incentives! new
      #255281 - 03/30/06 02:13 AM
cailin

Incentives are funny- the financial ones drive me as much as anything- not wasting money. I should have paid P's and got him to pay mine, then we would have an excuse to nag one another to go!

Mine are:
1. To prove I can do that 10k at the end of May and not make a fool of myself.
2. To feel comfortable in my clothes
3. To fit into and be able to sit down in my brown tweed suit
4. To lose 5 pounds
5. To have a healthy diet
6. To get value out of the membership that I just paid
7. To look amazing and feel great as I turn 30!

4 times this week is great, well done. I have gone twice but once was just to join so not a workout and last night I only did a tiny bit of cardio as it was getting late as the assessment took about an hour. I'll go Saturday and possibly Sunday and hope to do my first spin class on Monday, if I get there on time for the 6.15 one, it might be a push for me, but we'll see how I do.

My gym has a Khai Bo class- have you ever done this? I think it's like kickboxing (Which I haven't tried either and keep meaning to)

P and I are going together so we are going to make one another go too.

Some interesting things my trainer told me last night:

1. To get cardio fit you need to get 45 mins cardio
2. Spin class is the best way (and torture)
3. You are best in the 45 mins cardio not to keep chopping and changing machines, so try to do different machines each time and no more than 2 a night (the machines I use are rower, stepper, cross trainer, bike, treadmill)
4. You need to keep your heartrate about 140 to get a good cardio workout

So they are the new things I am working on, great work Tina, good luck with it. I'll let you know how I get on, so make sure you share too, we can help motivate each other, workout buddy! (I am really competitive too so if I see you went 4 times then I will try to go 4 times too, that's why it works with P and I going to the same one, cos if I goes I will want to go too, and hopefully vice versa.

--------------------
S.

Re: Tina-incentives! new
      #255309 - 03/30/06 07:31 AM
Sara-Sage

Yes, having my membership funded by Tommy motivates me to go for sure!

My incentives are pretty similar to yours (minus the 10K (WOW!!!!!) and the tweed suit.

I'm not sure if you know this but I'm not working yet. That's how I am able to go to the gym so often. I think when I'm working full-time it will be easier to go three times a week. And my goal weight loss is 10-15 lbs so I need to really push myself. I you have an extra 5 lbs, you should lose it quickly!! Especially if you take spinning classes! You'll be very toned in no time!

Nope, I've never done that class. But if it's like kickboxing it should be great!

I don't think of myself as competitive BUT when I heard that Tommy's sister (who I'm friends with) went to two back-to-back classes I was a bit floored. It didn't make me jealous or anything but it made me think that I need to step up my own workouts. So a little competition is probably a good motivator!

I just KNEW 30 mins of cardio wasn't enough. Thanks for sharing that with me. I've always read that for weight loss that LOTS of cardio was very effective. I'll add an extra 10 mins to my cardio.

Not sure if I mentionned this but my trainer told me to keepmy targer heart rate at 158 and never any higher than 171. Tht said, I TRIED to get my heart rate to 158 on the treadmill and couldn't! I hate running but to see if my heart rate would go up I tried running for a couple of minutes and it onlywent up to 120 or something. Odd? And it's not because I'm so athletic that my heart is in top form. Maybe I'll switch cardio machines for a while.

Great to have a workout buddy! If you ever come back to NYC, we'll have to workout together for real.

Hey Tina new
      #255311 - 03/30/06 07:50 AM
cailin

Back to back classes? I can barely make it home after a class!
And I will be walking the 10K. I have a friend who ran a halfmarathon lately so he has inspired me to enter the 10K

The 45 mins cardio for me is for cardio fitness as opposed to weight loss so maybe th 30 with toning etc works for what you want?

I am completely new to the heart rate stuff so haven't ever measured it etc but I will let you know how to get on. I think it needs to be personally calculated based on your height, weight and age so that could be why they are different. The girl said something about working out at 75% of your max, but I don't know what that is so the 140 was a guideline.

All my best girlfriends are flying to NY in the morning for a girlie trip, so if you meet a crowd of loud Irish ladies, with a sole Chicagoan among them, that's my girls. I am so jealous, but when they were booking I was just back from honeymoon and couldn't justify booking it, esp when I KNOW how much money I would blow shopping!

It can be easier to manage your working out and eating habits when you're not working I think. (but more temptation as the cookie jar is right there all the time!)My friend wasn't working last summer and she started a weight loss & fitness regime for her wedding and she looked amazing, she used the time she had to prepare healthy balanced meals and get lots of exercise, both gym and walking etc. So spend your time off well and you will be positively fabulous for your honeymoon!

If I don't leave this post I won't be working either !

--------------------
S.

Sinead - Don't answer today so you can work! new
      #255325 - 03/30/06 08:47 AM
Sara-Sage

Back to back is insane! She was asking me to stay for the weights class after the kickboxing class last Sunday. But by the end of it she changed her mind and just wanted to go home, sleep and eat. LOL!

Walking a 10K is still very impressive!

I'll be on the lookout for your Irish friends this weekend! That would be too funny if I actually met up with your group. But NY is soooo big, no likely! You're right it's so expensive here so you were smart to not book the trip!

Thanks! I am using this time off wisely. I hope that I can look terrifc for my wedding and honeymoon! I joined e-diets too so I hope that it helps me slim down as well.

Ok, I feel guilty, you have a challenging job so you need to get back to work. No more distractions for me today. I promise!

Hi girlies new
      #255368 - 03/30/06 11:43 AM
Stephie

Reged: 03/10/04
Loc: Vancouver, Canada

Hi Tina and Sinead,

I just wanted to say that I was reading your guys' post and it sounds like you are both doing really, really awesome!
Excellent work!
You have inspired me to work out today as I have the day off, as well. I am all period crampy and not feeling like it much but I figured if you are going 3/5 times a week, I can go on my one day off!

Good luck with the progress girls, it sounds like you'll see results crazy fast if you keep at the pace you are going now!

Cheers!
--Steph

--------------------
~~I'm not crazy, I'm just a little unwell-I know right now you can't tell~~Matchbox 20
IBS-D,pain.

Not at work now so answering! new
      #255422 - 03/30/06 02:49 PM
cailin

Thanks for the consideration, but I do only go on the boards when I am bored at work (which is very often at the moment)

If you are the same place as my girls you will definitely hear them before you see them! But like you said it's highly unlikely!

Good luck with the whole being good and getting fit. No gym for me today and I feel yuck now even though I thought that I had eaten safely. Agh!

--------------------
S.

Welcome to the gym crew Stephie! new
      #255425 - 03/30/06 02:55 PM
cailin

Glad that we can be of assistance. I haven't really started yet but am really motivated about this and determined to get fit.

Since you have been having a bad time of it lately the exercise will really help, I feel so much better about myself when I have worked out.

Positive vibes going your way!!!!

--------------------
S.

Re: Hi girlies new
      #255426 - 03/30/06 03:00 PM
Sara-Sage

Thanks Steph! Join in the fun! Party of three.

Re: Welcome to the gym crew Stephie! new
      #255427 - 03/30/06 03:01 PM
Sara-Sage

I agree that working out is great for improving mood. I always feel a high after a great workout and it gives me energy for the rest of the day! It's better than caffeine and ibs safe! LOL!

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 381 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 4626

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review