Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Health Update
      #250041 - 03/04/06 08:04 PM
Draupadi

Reged: 07/16/05
Loc: Santa Cruz, California

Hey guys,

I haven't posted in quite a while, but I've been lurking a bit here and there...the reason I haven't been checking in is that I have been sort of thrown for a loop by a couple of pieces of news I recently recieved from my doctor.

Firstly, the doctors discovered that I have a form of intectinal parasites, which obviously could be contributing to the stomach distress and bowel problems I've been experiencing, which had previously been attributed only to IBS. It's not clear yet whether the parasites have merely worsened the IBS symptoms, or if they are the primary source of the problem.

Perhaps more importantly though, I was diagnosed a few weeks ago with type 1 diabetes, which explains a lot of other health issues I've been having that appear separate from the IBS, such as severe fatigue, and an ongoing inability to gain weight. Dealing with this disease, which is lifelong, requires a lot of lifestyle changes, like learning how to check my blood sugar and inject myself with insulin. So, needless to say, I have been struggling a lot both emotionally and physically, and I have decided, for the time being, to be less strict about my diet in terms of IBS, and focus on getting my diabetes under control.

I want to thank all you guys on the board for being such a huge support to me...I'll try to stop by from time to time and check in.

Hope you are all happy and healthy!

Love and Blessings,

--------------------
Julia

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Hi Julia! new
      #250046 - 03/04/06 08:45 PM
retrograde

Reged: 04/15/04

Oh wow those are both huge pieces of news - especially the diabetes! I'm really sorry to hear it but you do seem like you've got things under control. (I believe there is a section in the FAQ about adapting this diet to work for diabetes if you're interested.)

Anyway, I'm glad to hear you're doing ok despite all this - with things like this, it's just much better to know than not know, right? And it's good to hear from you, even if it isn't the greatest news *HUGS*

Wow! That's a lot on your plate! new
      #250118 - 03/05/06 11:06 AM
Wind

Reged: 04/02/05

Julia, that's alot of information to co-ordinate/process. I'm sure you'll receive in depth nutritional counselling re: diet & coping/managing/LIVING with type 1 Diabetes. Synchronizing/harmonizing that with IBS issues should be challenging. However, I wish you success. KNOWLEDGE is crucial. With awareness, things can be managed.

I'm so glad, you KNOW & I wish you only the best--first & formost HEALTH so that you may acquire HAPPINESS once you figure it out/map it.

Keep us up to date on your lifestyle journey. May you receive sound guidance.

Kate.

Re: Health Update new
      #250297 - 03/06/06 02:15 PM
Snow for Sarala

Reged: 03/12/03
Loc: West Coast, USA

Hi Julia!

I'm really sorry about the Dx! *hugs* you sound like you're coping exceptionally well and you should feel very proud of yourself!

As for the parasites...is there anything that can be done for that? Have you begun a course of treatment?

I'm glad you know what's wrong...though knowing can sometimes be difficult to digest. Remember we are always here for you if you need to vent (we all do it!).

Here's to wishing you continued strength on your journey to health and wellness...keep us updated please

Love,

Sarala (Ruchie)

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 83 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1750

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review