All Boards >> IBS Fitness & Lifestyle Board Discussions

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
I'm serious about losing weight now!
      #248046 - 02/23/06 08:07 AM
michele

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: southeastern michigan

As most of you are probably familiar with my "story" I won't go into all the details but suffice it to say, I've gained a HUGE amount of weight in the last 2 years. I used to be VERY skinny in high school and in my 20's, I'm 35 now. I didn't even break 100 pounds until I was 19! I'm 5 foot 8 inches by the way.

Not sure what happened but I started to gain weight and by the time I was 30, I was up to around 160. I worked by butt off on an elliptical trainer I bought and got down to 128 and a size 6!! I leveled off around 130-135 and held it for a year or two. After the events of the last couple of years, I'm now 190, which is down 12 pounds by the way since I lost the twins in December.

Since I have fibro and RA, I have to work out carefully and start off slowly. I've been going to physical therapy 2 times a week for two weeks now and doing 45 minutes to an hour of stretches a day, even on the days I don't go to pt. Well, this morning, I got up even earlier and got up on the elliptical for the first time in a LONG time, over a year at least. I only did 1.25 miles in 13 minutes but its a start! I also did some arm work with my hand weights on top of my stretching. Right now, I feel pretty good, of course a little sore but not too bad. I plan on just stretching tomorrow and doing the elliptical every other day and working up my time and miles.

I've been trying to watch what I eat and I've been doing ok there but my body needs exercise to lose weight. My goal is 150 pounds, I don't need to be really skinny but I need to lose weight for my health. I'm also tired of shopping at the "fat girl" stores!! Right now I'm a size 16, I'd like to be a size 10 by summer! Most of the "fashion" stores stopped carrying size 14 a couple of years ago which I think its just ridiculus Luckily, I kept most of my clothes from when I lost weight before, I'll just have to get them out of the storage in the attic but I figure when I hit a size 10, I'll go buy some new things as a reward!

--------------------
Taking it one day at a time.....

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: I'm serious about losing weight now! new
      #248072 - 02/23/06 09:10 AM
lalala

Reged: 02/14/05

You can do it, Michele! I know how difficult it is to find exercises that won't zap all your energy. I think your goal is very reasonable and you're taking the rights steps to reach it!

I've never used an elliptical machine before. Are they relatively easy to use?

Good luck!

Re: Thanks Maria new
      #248108 - 02/23/06 10:47 AM
michele

I think the elliptical is easy to use. Your feet never come off the pedals so its kind of like riding a bike standing up! Its easier on your joints than say a treadmill or stair climber or those kinds of things. You also use your arms so it tones up your back and arms as well as your legs and butt! I bought mine at Dicks Sporting Goods about 4 or 5 years ago for something like $400 and it has served me well, that is, when I use it!

--------------------

#248132 - 02/23/06 12:00 PM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Canada

Good for you! Just make sure you go easy. Work your way into it. Have you considered Yoga? It's a wonderful balancer to the aerobic/weight program as it gives the muscles a chance to stretch and limber up and tone without pushing them too far. I've taken Kripalu yoga, and you only take the pose to the limit where it is still comfortable.
Gee - sizes in Canada are different! Or at least they used to be! When I weighed 116 lbs in '01, I was in a size 6. Now, I'm a size 10 or 12 - but when I had to get a designer dress for a wedding (bridesmaid) I was humiliated when they ordered me a size 16!!!! And I weigh less than 150 pounds. Yikes! Don't be too hard on yourself - I think the sizing has changed - sizing nowadays is for skinny women in their 20's and that's it. Good luck and stay positive!

--------------------
Formerly HanSolo. IBS, OCD, Bipolar, PTSD times 3.

#248137 - 02/23/06 12:20 PM
michele

Thanks alicia!! I was just browsing google for yoga poses actually!! I don't think I have the balance or stregnth for a lot of them yet. They are working on those things in pt though!!

--------------------

#248169 - 02/23/06 02:51 PM
Wind

Reged: 04/02/05

Michele--your poor body needs some "stability" in terms of weight. I commend you for taking the challenge of weightloss realistically in terms of goals. Maybe pool exercise might be another fitness option? Usually variety keeps people motivated. What are some of your food/eating challenges in terms of weight management? (Sorry, I'm kind of anal about the whole food thing, in more ways than one, lol. I basically have the "accountant" point of view re: energy/expenditure. This is probably why I was such a "good" anorexic for so long, if there is such a thing. My challenge is not to under eat.

Good luck. I think you'll surprise yourself.

Kate.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 24 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2081

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review