All Boards >> IBS Fitness & Lifestyle Board Discussions

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Any advise on symptom relief during Menstrual Period!!
      #246764 - 02/16/06 11:22 AM
moon01064

Reged: 02/16/06

Hi Everyone,

I was wondering if anyone out there can offer any advise on Symptom relief during the menstraul period?? I was told 8 months ago that I have IBS. Since then, I have been doing a lot of research on IBS and was VERY HAPPY to find Heather's site. It has made a HUGE difference. I have both her books and they are truly a great help. I have made MAJOR life changes to manage my IBS and I am doing much better. However, I find that I am still having about 1 or 2 attacks a month. Month after month, I find that about 1 week before my period and sometimes during my period, I have the painful attacks. It's becoming very frustrating because I eat very well everyday and especially careful around PMS so I don't know why this happens to me month after month. My Gyno says it looks like it happens to me when I ovulate because I have the attacks every 20 to 21 days.
I would truly LOVE some tips or advise!! Like all of IBS suffers out there, I want to eliminate my attacks to maybe just a handful a year or none at all!!! =o) At this point I'm having them every 20 to 21 days and I'm getting frustrated. Thanks for your help!!!!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Any advise on symptom relief during Menstrual Period!! new
      #246786 - 02/16/06 12:40 PM
Ravyn

Reged: 02/06/06
Loc: New Jersey

I was just thinking about asking about this! I have the same problem! I have IBS C and when I have my period, forget about it! I haven't tried heather's heating pad idea yet, but I have been drinking chamomile tea, and that helps a little. I've been thinking about adding more soluble fiber to my diet around that time, but if anyone else has ideas, they would be VERY much appreciated!

--------------------
IBS-C

#246817 - 02/16/06 02:12 PM
moon01064

Hi,

Yeah it's very frustrating. I actually eat soluable fiber ALL the time, especially around my period and I still get the IBS attacks. I just bought Heather's Fennel Tea bags today and will try the heating pad idea...I'd like to try Heather's Peppermint Caps but becaus eof my IBS I also have GERD, so I can't have Peppermint. Something I eat often and really helps during my PMS days and the attacks I usually get is a lot of white rice, plain white breads (like Bagels, sourdough, french) and something called Malanga (it's like potato) This usually calms me...and lots of water too.

Search! new
      #246882 - 02/16/06 07:32 PM
retrograde

Reged: 04/15/04

Definitely do a search for this on the Diet board.

It's come up a lot (most women find a connection between their IBS and menstural cycle) and honestly, there are a lot of great tips for relief/prevention... but I won't retype them all there because this just has been discussed so much.

Happy searching!

#246978 - 02/17/06 11:39 AM
Ravyn

That sucks about not being able to have Peppermint. I eat Altoids all the time. I've always loved them, so I was quite happy to read that they can hlep my IBS. I'm not a big fan of fennel, though. I'm all about bread and white rice! I've taken to getting wonton soup and putting white rice in it. It's quite yummy! I need to get a little better on the fluid consumption around then, though.

--------------------
IBS-C

Diarrhoea treatment IBS symptoms remedy new
      #247054 - 02/18/06 01:39 AM
123imodium

Reged: 02/15/06

I found a good article on diarrhoea and ibs treatment.you can go through it.http://www.imodium.co.uk IBS Diarrhoea treatment advice remedies information online UKImodium helps to restore control and normality so you have the confidence to get on and enjoy your day

hi moon and ravyn new
      #247320 - 02/19/06 10:45 PM
little bear

Reged: 12/22/04
Loc: chicago

i also have the same problem with my IBS when i have my period too! im a C and it really sucks for me b/c i always seem to want to eat something sweet! or more food then i would usually desire.

i drink peppermint tea to calm down my tummy though if it feels crampy. ravyn, chamomile tea would be good for you. it is just as soothing as peppermint.

i also like to eat white rice and white breads. sometimes plain pasta too w/dairy-free parmasan [sp?] i think those foods help to create more bulk then other foods that i would usually eat [ie: sweets!]

basically, lots of SF like you do moon, anything warm is good too for those cramps! theres thermacare heating pads made for PMS cramps. pepperint essential oil is also really good for headaches if you put a little on your temples. good luck w/other searches and info! the peppermint caps are good. i tried them before but cant have them anymore b/c they have gelatin in them and im a vegan. ciao!

--------------------
VEGAN ASHLEY~IBS/C

www.myspace.com/dutchflowers

#247363 - 02/20/06 07:47 AM
moon01064

Yeah I'm the same...all about breads, white rice and crackers! I'm so tired of it though, but anything to keep myself stable..that's what matters most. I just ordered Heather's Fennel Tea a few days ago. Lets see how I like it. I'm a bit scared now because I was just reading that some people can't tolerate it because it's too strong or may cause D. Do you know anything about this??

Re: hi moon and ravyn new
      #247366 - 02/20/06 07:52 AM
moon01064

Hi...thanks for the tips. That's what I usually do around these days..I'm all about SF. Lots of plain whitte bread, white rice and pasta. I haven't tried the Dairy free cheese..actually I've tried to find a safe cheese and have had no luck..when I finally see one I think is safe, it says it contains casine (which conatins milk) Since you're Vegan...can you recommend a safe cheese and a good deli meat? HELP =o) I love sandwiches and haven't had one in months because I can't find safe cheese or deli meat. I'll try the heating pads...that sounds good. I've been told to use ice packs and I've done that...it seems to numb and help but heat sounds much better!! Thanks =o)

hey there-- new
      #247657 - 02/21/06 02:21 PM
little bear

Reged: 12/22/04
Loc: chicago

i havent heard of using a cold compress but coolness probably has just as many benefits---minus the shivering!! hehe

i can recommend Follow Your Heart Vegan style cheeses in mozzerella, cheddar, monteray jack and nacho [but nacho is funky] they are by far the best fake cheeses out there!! they are completely vegan, casien, gluton and whey free and overall very tasty! they are sold at whole foods if there is one near you. heres a picture of the cheeses so you know what the package looks like. this company also makes Veganaise--no egg, no dairy MAYO that is also YUM. i do not know of any fake meats that would be good to try. ive tried the smartdeli "meats" but learned later on they were not organic [i eat organic] i havent had a sandwich in a long time either!! good luck!!

--------------------
VEGAN ASHLEY~IBS/C

www.myspace.com/dutchflowers

#247667 - 02/21/06 03:32 PM
Jackey

Reged: 12/27/05
Loc: Orlando, Florida

Sleep and Yoga!!!!! I've been diagnosed recently so am still wrestling with the whole diet thing. And, I have always had bad periods - the pain wipes me out. The first couple of days of each cycle I get 1-2 attacks. I drink Peppermint, Fennel, Chamomile, Catnip (listed in Heather's IBS book), and St. John's Wort Tea; use a heating pad and take extra strength Tylenol. BUT, the most helpful thing I do is sleep a lot more than usual (naps included)and keep up with my yoga (3 times per week). This makes me feel stronger. I also baby myself and try to avoid stressful situations - staying home reading, doing quiet things. This helps, but no magic pill yet....If YOU find one, let us know?

Re: hey there-- new
      #247795 - 02/22/06 08:14 AM
moon01064

Sounds great!! Thanks for the info. I checked it out and it looks like I would have to buy it online. There are no stores in Miami, Florida who carry the product.

Thanks!!! =o)

#247847 - 02/22/06 11:21 AM
Ravyn

Thanks for the info! I love chamomile tea, and rice and pasta, so I'll just try to have more than a little. And I hear ya on the sweets thing! Though I don't usually eat too much because I can't have chocolate (gives me cramps).

Thanks again!

--------------------
IBS-C

#248050 - 02/23/06 08:15 AM
moon01064

Not a problem!! Yeah...the sweets thing has been my BIGGEST diet challenge...before knowing i had IBS I use to eat sweets (cookies, candy,chocolate, pound cake, etc) EVERYDAY..thus why I had IBS attacks every 2 or 3 days...so now that I'm becoming an IBS expert in many ways...I've had to eliminate all that from my diet!! =o( VERY HARD...but you deal and find alternatives...at least I'm better!!!

Have A Good One!!

#248647 - 02/25/06 03:59 PM
chely24

Reged: 02/22/06
Loc: ohio

Is it normal for IBS attacks to get worse during the menstrual cycle?? For me, the pain is unbearable around that time and the D gets much worse... has anyone been prescribed anything for pain? Or is there something good over the counter for bad times like that? I try to breathe through it and its so hard sometimes!

--------------------
http://www.myspace.com/rachelle423

#248648 - 02/25/06 04:01 PM
chely24

Reged: 02/22/06
Loc: ohio

I'm sorry!, after i posted above - i seen the post about searching! I'm still new to finding my way around the boards

--------------------
http://www.myspace.com/rachelle423

#248784 - 02/26/06 02:27 PM
hohoyumyum

Reged: 05/28/03
Loc: SacTown, CA

This comes straight from the WebMD website:

"Prostaglandins are a group of chemicals made by nearly all of the body's cell membranes. Different prostaglandins have different effects on the body; they can help cause inflammation and pain, raise or lower blood pressure, stimulate uterine contractions and labor, and affect the immune system, nerve impulses, and body temperature."

My ob/gyn also tells me they can also cause diarrhea. A lot of women produce a crazy amount of these during their periods/PMS. I had the same problem. Your body gets all out of whack and just when you get it in line it goes off again. What helped for me was to find a birth control that was appropriate for me. I've tried a few and they have all helped my IBS symptoms, some more, some less. Since you know about when you are going to have attacks (sounds like they're pretty regular), you can try going to the most basic IBS diet for a few days each month. And be sure to drink lots and lots of water. If you can take something like Midol (it makes me way too nauseous) take it regulary starting just before when you have symtpoms. If you change what your body is doing before it does it, you might be able to stop the attacks. Also, if you suffer from D, Immodium can be used to prevent attacks rather than to treat them.

Definately go see a good gyno. They will be able to help you with this.

--------------------
If you're not dead, you've still got time.

#248930 - 02/27/06 11:53 AM
moon01064

Yeah...it always gets worse around that time for me also but I've learned to eat VERY, VERY safely during this time (lots white rice, plain pasta and white bread, and chicken breast or white fish (usuallt Tilapia)very ligtly seasoned..and lots of water and hot tea. I've also been using a heating pad THIS IS THE BEST THING EVER...not only does it help with the cramps but also helps with the IBS symptoms. As far as meds...when it's too much for me to deal with...I usually take 1 Alieve. It had caffine and it's strong and not too great for the stomach, but if I have to I take it after eating a meal...that always takes the pain away 100%..but I use it as a last resort for the BAD months because this pain killer is strong and contains a lot of caffine. This is what helps for me. Also even though you may be tired and not feeling up to excersing, try to at least walk everyday and meditate. =o)
Hope this helps...it surely helps me a lot!!!!

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 75 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 8815

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review