All Boards >> IBS Fitness & Lifestyle Board Discussions

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Sit ups or no?
      #244455 - 02/06/06 12:11 PM
Ravyn

Reged: 02/06/06
Loc: New Jersey

Hi everyone! I'm new here. I was just diagnosed with IBS C last year. It certainly made past problems make sense, and Heather's books have been VERY helpful.

One thing I can't decide on....I want to come up with an exercise routine. I want to lose weight, but I also want to tone. My concern is that if I try to do sit ups or crunches or something of that nature, it will set off my IBS. Anyone have any advice?

Thanks!

--------------------
IBS-C

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Sit ups or no? new
      #244461 - 02/06/06 12:28 PM
Shell Marr

Reged: 08/04/03
Loc: Seattle, WA USA

different people have different results from Ab work.... I personally do it even if it hurts or I'm having an attack...but please note that I'm "C" and ab work in general HELPS me... it may hurt while I'm doing them...example: trapped air moving around.... but I usually end up with some kind of "relief" soon after... (ok, and sometimes during)

--------------------
www.facebook.com/shell.marr

www.myspace.com/shellmarr

shell!!! new
      #244569 - 02/06/06 09:36 PM
little bear

Reged: 12/22/04
Loc: chicago

what do you do about your "relief" *during* your workout routines?!? I GET THE SAME THING TOO AT YOGA and am always so embarrassed that i end up holding it in and having an attack later-on

--------------------
VEGAN ASHLEY~IBS/C

www.myspace.com/dutchflowers

Re: shell!!! new
      #244571 - 02/06/06 10:21 PM
Shell Marr

Keep a "poker face" and let it out! "I did not do it and you can't prove it"...hehehe I'm USUALLY lucky and mine are silent but deadly....LOL Also, there are enough people around that nobody can REALLY tell WHO did it.... and if it does make noise... again, resort back to the poker face!

I just know from TOO MUCH experience...that is does NOT pay to hold it in. Everybody farts...and almost every time I'm at the gym even in yoga someone farts... I just don't know who!

--------------------

#244661 - 02/07/06 09:51 AM
Ravyn

OK....great! I'm glad to hear I can start sit ups again! I have C as well, and thought the sit ups might help, but was concerned that the muscle tensing would make matters worse. Thanks!

I'm also glad to hear I'm not the only one with the "To fart or not to fart" problem. I have that problem at work, especially if I'm having a slight attack. I keep trying to find little corners in different offices to let out my SBDs and pray no one walks in too soon!

I just have to say, even though this is my first thread, I feel SO much better about everything! Thanks guys!

--------------------
IBS-C

#244798 - 02/07/06 01:37 PM
robcl

Reged: 02/07/06
Loc: Arkansas

im all about "playing through the pain" 99% of the time, but situps are that 1%. however, leg raises never effect my ibs related gut, or my donut related gut (unfortunatley).

#244803 - 02/07/06 02:01 PM
Shell Marr

Quote:

im all about "playing through the pain" 99% of the time, but situps are that 1%. however, leg raises never effect my ibs related gut, or my donut related gut (unfortunatley).

Oh Robert.... I just read your profile.... your not a baby....we all understand. FYI donuts are not IBS safe.... unless you are talking baked... lol

--------------------

#244804 - 02/07/06 02:06 PM
Shell Marr

Quote:

OK....great! I'm glad to hear I can start sit ups again! I have C as well, and thought the sit ups might help, but was concerned that the muscle tensing would make matters worse. Thanks!

I'm also glad to hear I'm not the only one with the "To fart or not to fart" problem. I have that problem at work, especially if I'm having a slight attack. I keep trying to find little corners in different offices to let out my SBDs and pray no one walks in too soon!

I just have to say, even though this is my first thread, I feel SO much better about everything! Thanks guys!

Oh, trust me.... your not alone!! Glad we could help...that is what we are here for.

--------------------

#244829 - 02/07/06 04:18 PM
robcl

Reged: 02/07/06
Loc: Arkansas

thanks shell, i just never expected through all the injures ive had from sports, for my stomach to bring me down. BTW Ravyn... about the office corner, i work outside around all guys, im incredibly lucky.

#245021 - 02/08/06 11:51 AM
Ravyn

Indeed you are! And I hear you on the leg lifts thing. I can do leg lifts for a week and lose flab, but the stomach is another story!

--------------------
IBS-C

haha--GREAT!! thanks shell -n/t- new
      #245130 - 02/08/06 06:10 PM
little bear

Reged: 12/22/04
Loc: chicago

--------------------
VEGAN ASHLEY~IBS/C

www.myspace.com/dutchflowers

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 134 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 4299

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review