Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Choosing a machine to help with Constipation IBS
      #244097 - 02/04/06 08:03 AM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

Hi experts!
I was wondering which would be a better investment for exercises purely to help my Constipation An elliptical or a treadmill. Any opinions?

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Choosing a machine to help with Constipation IBS new
      #244199 - 02/04/06 07:06 PM
Shell Marr

Reged: 08/04/03
Loc: Seattle, WA USA

Does the elliptical your looking at have a function that will make the incline "like stairs"? If so, I would say that one!!

--------------------
www.facebook.com/shell.marr

www.myspace.com/shellmarr

No it doesn't new
      #244261 - 02/05/06 12:22 PM
Augie

It's just the cheapest one I could find. So, maybe I should go with the treadmill or stick with the elliptical regular kind? This is purely to help the constipation...not trying to lose weight.
I know you have had great success with the exercise helping your C...so thanks for your input.

--------------------
~ Beth

Re: No it doesn't new
      #244274 - 02/05/06 03:06 PM
uwponine

Reged: 03/19/05
Loc: Wisconsin

I am major C and have always had better luck w/ the elliptical.

--------------------
IBS-C with major bloat!
Gluten Free Vegan

My two cents... new
      #244286 - 02/05/06 03:38 PM
Sara-Sage

Reged: 02/04/04

Beth, have you used an elliptical machine before? I tried the one we have at the gym and personally am not a fan of it. Not the brand but the actual motion of using it. To me it's like a half-run and I felt really out of synch with the movements.

I think a treadmill would help yor constipation? Shell?

#244289 - 02/05/06 04:20 PM
Sara-Sage

Gotcha, I should stay out of this as I am a D.

#244321 - 02/05/06 07:53 PM
Shell Marr

Reged: 08/04/03
Loc: Seattle, WA USA

can you post the brand and models number so what you are looking at?

--------------------
www.facebook.com/shell.marr

www.myspace.com/shellmarr

Re: Choosing a machine to help with Constipation IBS new
      #244348 - 02/06/06 07:21 AM
Betharoo

Reged: 01/28/05
Loc: Ontario, Canada

I can't really comment on which one I think would be better for helping with C. I think either one since excercise in general would help get things moving. I just wanted to add that I looove ellipticals, I am waiting to be able to afford my own right now. They are low impact and easy on my knees and I feel like they target so many different parts at once. I bought a cheapy and took it back, it is not worth the money, they have no range of motion and a short stride on them, which makes them very tiring and uncomfortable to use. So if you get one you should invest some money so it is worth it for you.

--------------------
Microscopic Colitis, IBS-A, GERD, Hiatal Hernia
Bethany, Ontario, Canada

I don't have one picked out yet. new
      #244414 - 02/06/06 10:37 AM
Augie

I just know if I do get one, it will be the cheapest I can find because I don't have any money for it really. But if I do find one I'm interested in, I'll post it.

Thanks!

--------------------
~ Beth

Good point! new
      #244415 - 02/06/06 10:39 AM
Augie

I've never even tried one yet! I may not be able to do it. They cost more than the treadmills. I'm just tired of walking outside in the rain and cold. I need something I can do everyday without worrying about the weather. And also when it's most convenient for me!

Thanks Tina!

--------------------
~ Beth

Which one did you buy? new
      #244416 - 02/06/06 10:41 AM
Augie

That was cheap? I'm looking at the least expensive because of finances...but won't bother with one if it's just going to fall apart on me.

--------------------
~ Beth

I'm butting in here but have you ever tried a mini-tramp? new
      #244443 - 02/06/06 11:49 AM
ecmmbm

Reged: 02/23/03
Loc: North Carolina

They are very cheap and you can sort of run/jog/walk on the thing but the impact can help move things along. I can't do it anymore because my bladder is falling out but alas, that is another story isn't it?

Just an idea... hope you find something that works. I also have a cheap treadmill but now that we have a dog I walk outdoors, when I'm able, regardless of the weather, he sort of forces us to get out there, which is good.

--------------------
Take care,
Michelle
...the greatest of these is LOVE. (I Cor 13)

Re: Which one did you buy? new
      #244507 - 02/06/06 03:35 PM
Betharoo

Reged: 01/28/05
Loc: Ontario, Canada

I got enticed by one that was advertised at my local superstore/grocery store that carries everything under the sun. It was around $250-300 Cdn. Sorry, I don't remember the brand name

--------------------
Microscopic Colitis, IBS-A, GERD, Hiatal Hernia
Bethany, Ontario, Canada

Do not buy a cheap elliptical new
      #244563 - 02/06/06 09:08 PM
Stephie

Reged: 03/10/04
Loc: Vancouver, Canada

Hi Beth,

I think it is great that you are gonna try exercise to help with your C, but I would DEFINITELY advise against buying any cheap elliptical machines.
When I wanted to buy an elliptical, I did a lot of research and was planning on buying one that was really inexpensive. I wish I could remember the website address now, but at that time I find a site that gave advice about purchasing your own fitness equiptment. One of the most important things about the elliptical is making sure that it has a long enough "stride". The site gave a number, in measurements, so I will try to find out.. or have a look if you get some time, as my computer has been kinda wonky lately.
The really cheap ones seem to be a lot more up and down, than an actual stride which isn't really the idea for the elliptical.
A friend of mine got a really cheap one, and she just gave it away because it was so bad. It was jerky and as the movements were not AT ALL fluid, it was HARD on the knees, rather than being easy on them like it is supposed to. I tried it and it felt awkward and difficult and not in a good way!

Adrian and I got an elliptical machine at a boxing day sale at a major department store. It is a Nordic track brand, and although I do much prefer the elliptical machines at the gym, it is the best one we found to purchase. It cost us approx. $1000, and that was the sale price which was waaaay reduced for boxing day.

Like Tina said, I would go to a local gym or somewhere with the exercise equiptment and try the elliptical. I think the first few times you go on it, it is sort of a different motion and can feel a little awkward, I suppose. It is hard at first to kinda get into a real good rhythm BUT it gets a lot easier and it really is good for giving you a better workout.. which I imagine would be the most beneficial for getting stuff moving.

I think treadmills are good too, and do tend to be cheaper. As you aren't looking for the most calorie burning and all that, I can't imagine there is a huge difference.

Good luck, let us know how it goes!

**hugs**
--Steph

--------------------
~~I'm not crazy, I'm just a little unwell-I know right now you can't tell~~Matchbox 20
IBS-D,pain.

Re: Good point! new
      #244618 - 02/07/06 07:46 AM
Sara-Sage

I just think you should try one before you buy one. They're very popular and a great work out but I can't stand them! And I've tried a few different models in various gyms over the years.

Re: Beth - I found a good exercise video I like... new
      #244619 - 02/07/06 07:55 AM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Canada

It's called Walk Away the Pounds with Leslie Sansone. There's a 30 and 45 minute video. It's great for those bad weather days. It doesn't take any coordination or special moves. It's a combination of walking, kicks, knee lifts, side steps, and lightweight weights. It's probably the best $10 video I've ever bought. Doesn't take a lot of space either. A few steps to the front and back and sides is all you need! As a non fitness person, I found it quite good.

--------------------
Formerly HanSolo. IBS, OCD, Bipolar, PTSD times 3.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 186 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 6849

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review