All Boards >> IBS Fitness & Lifestyle Board Discussions

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)
REPORTING IN - 1/27/06
      #242053 - 01/27/06 09:03 AM
Shell Marr

Reged: 08/04/03
Loc: Seattle, WA USA

Everyone post their report for what you did on 1/27 here....

--------------------
www.facebook.com/shell.marr

www.myspace.com/shellmarr

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: REPORTING IN - 1/27/06 new
      #242240 - 01/27/06 07:03 PM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

breakfast: apple-cinnamon instant oatmeal w/ soy milk
snack: small banana, slice of raisin toast w/ peanut butter
lunch: potato-mushroom frittata, a few UFOs *sigh*
dinner: chicken-noodle soup, 2 slices light garlic toast
dessert: i will probably go do something bad as soon as I'm done reporting

exercise: a very little strenuous housework... as in, moving furniture, lifting boxes, etc.

I'm going to try very hard to get back on track tomorrow. I'm not pushing myself as far as the exercise goes, especially on a weekend, but I really want to get back to eating well, even if it's not doing me any visible good. I have to keep reminding myself of the health benefits, or I'm never going to stick with this.

REPORTING IN - 1/27/06 new
      #242241 - 01/27/06 07:22 PM
Stephie

Reged: 03/10/04
Loc: Vancouver, Canada

Hi ya'll, here goes for today!

Activities: I did goood today. I basically tried to do the workout I do at the training place I go to, but at home.. so obviously I had to modify it a little. But basically, 8 minutes on the elliptical and then "super sets" of exercises with 2 minutes elliptical (bike at the gym, but I have an elliptical) as hard as I can in between. Super tired by the end, but felt good for doing it.
Plus, 40 minutes dog walking.

Breakfast: 2 arrowroot cookies. (Bad. Was JUST about to workout, so couldn't eat too much and thought I would eat right after.. then I didn't.

Lunch: UFO (quesadilla, felt daring apparently) with some salad. 1/4 of a brownie desert. Not good choices, but I can't worry about that now!

Snack: Some gummi bears

Dinner: Large pasta shells with tuna with ultra low fat mayonaise. Glass of cranberry juice (half/half w/water)

Snack: Hot chocolate w/soy

--------------------
~~I'm not crazy, I'm just a little unwell-I know right now you can't tell~~Matchbox 20
IBS-D,pain.

#242263 - 01/27/06 09:11 PM
Wind

Reged: 04/02/05

Egg whites
Spinach puree
Lots of fresh basil
Thai chili garlic sauce

Magick Mushroom salad (portabellas & red onion on field greens)
with "Newman's Own Lowfat Sesame Thai Dressing" (highly recommend it for a quick flavour fix! 1.5g fat/2 tbsp.)

grilled zucchini & red pepper
tilapia filet
squirted with lemon
on boston lettuce, alfalfa, & rocket(arugula)
(yes, Shell, lots of beano & immodium)
& steamed broccoli florets

mashed "faux-taters" (small cauliflower for dessert) for dessert (honestly, i'm not joking!)

UFO pack of sugarless bubblegum

Hmmm, maybe I'm eating too many carbs? Vegetables just taste so good now that I don't smoke.

Isn't it neat how much food (& nutrients) you can eat & still be under calorie budget???

(i swear i don't know what's gotten into me! i've been eating nearly a broccoli a day, lately!!!)

Twisted as usual,
Kate.

#242299 - 01/28/06 08:20 AM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

No report:
had D and couldn't exercise and didn't pay attention to what all I ate; I know there was some chocolate consumed.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

#242409 - 01/28/06 04:24 PM
Draupadi

Reged: 07/16/05
Loc: Santa Cruz, California

Ugh!

Last night was awful...remind me never to mix alcohol with eating ever again.

*tea with soymilk, banana

*veggie burger with lemon dill spread on sourdough, a few blackberries

*soy crisps, a couple bites of carrot cake

*reduced fat wheat thins and tuna with lite mayo

*several shots of rum...I don't know quite how many...maybe 5?

*two rice cakes with peanut butter and honey, plus a big spoonful of peanut butter with honey on it

My stomach is so upset today...I'm doing a BTC-type diet to try to counteract the damage.

--------------------
Julia

Kate... new
      #242416 - 01/28/06 04:48 PM
Draupadi

Hey Kate,

I read your posts just about every day, and I was wondering...is there a reason why you don't eat any grain products? The vegetables you eat sound so beautiful, and I'm sure you're getting lots of nutrition from them, but it's really hard to reach your daily calorie requirement when you aren't eating any starches. I don't want to make any judgements or assumptions about your situation (I know you've mentioned that you are currently in recovery from an eating disorder, and are still underweight), and I hope you don't take offense to this...

A big part of why I ask is because I am a recovering anorexic, and when I was at my worst, I ate no grain products, starches, or sugars, and it has really had a lasting negative effect on my health.

I applaud you for all the things you've been doing lately to take care of yourself...quitting smoking is a HUGE accomplishment! I also love reading your posts because you are always so kind and compassionate to everyone else on the boards, and you always offer such good advice.

I know I don't know you personally, but I've come to care about you, and I feel like I can really empathize with some of your struggles...so I hope you understand that it's a little alarming to me as a recovering anorexic to read your daily reports, which are extremely low in calories and carbohydrates, and then hear you say that you might have eaten "too many carbs."

Again, please don't take this as an attack or a judgement...if I am at all out of line, please let me know! I just felt I needed to express my concern, and let you know that I'm here if you ever need any kind of support...

Love and Blessings,

--------------------
Julia

Re: Kate... new
      #242432 - 01/28/06 06:12 PM
Wind

Reged: 04/02/05

Honestly, starches make me vomit. Even rice. I cannot explain why. I don't really know. Perhaps I don't secrete enough amylase? I am biased. I view them as empty calories.
I have osteopenia and alopecia areata. I've read many articles which state that grains actually deplete the body of minerals. I'm not sure how valid this is. I've lived many years without grains in the past. I find that my moods & my blood sugar/energy is increasingly stable. I know, from studying past personal trends of spontataneous vomitting & D episodes that they often involve meals where a serving of "starchy" carbohydrate is consumed. So, I'm back to this style of eating--without "starches." So far, so good--no major acid/vomitting streaks. I don't know why I get that "gag" response after eating a starchy carb. It's bizarre. Perhaps it's just years of doing well on a low g.i. diet? I guess the sugars that grains/starches so quickly turn into just make me puke--I'm not good with sugar; it makes me sick.

Thanks for your concern, Julia. I know that when "survival" instincts/issues turn up, I tend to eat more "UFO" foods--I crave stuff like bacon & salmon & full fat dressings (and eat them). I'll eat steaks & lamb. I'll use a very liberal amount of oil on vegetables. I get obsessed about real mayo.

Really, though, there's no rhyme or reason behind why or how this way of eating just works for me. I am not a highly active person so I don't need the sugars or the carbs. I wish I knew why they make me feel so ill. The best option I find is to avoid them.

I strongly suspect (and don't curse me for saying this honestly) that I'm just "programmed" into this neo-Atkins kind of view/way of eating. And, thankfully, I do eat a lot of fresh vegetables. (And those are sugars, I know. But they do provide me with more minerals than a bowl of rice so I shall substitute them)

Why, did you eliminate starches/carbs when you were at your worst?

Kate.

Re: boozin new
      #242454 - 01/28/06 08:40 PM
jaime g

Reged: 07/27/05
Loc: new york city

ugh, i know the feeling. before i was diagnosed with ibs, even before it was bad, i had a couple of nights of moderate drinking - 3 or 4 mixed drinks over an evening - that ended in puking. i felt like such a lightweight!

of course, alcohol's a trigger for ibs. but it is possible to incorporate it, in moderation, safely. five shots of rum are probably never going to sit well, but if you start with a stomach full on safe, SF food, you might be able to handle small amounts of white wine of light-colored alcohol. (vodka seems to be the easiest.) drink slow, and carefully, and it should be less hurtful.

--------------------
jaime
ibs-a (mostly d) // vegetarian

Re: Kate... new
      #242465 - 01/29/06 12:35 AM
Draupadi

Hmmm...that's really interesting. I wonder if your body built up some kind of intolerance to grains and starches, or something along those lines. One of my good friends is totally allergic to sugar...it makes her really sick.

I guess I may just be projecting some of my own issues on to you, because I know that I've struggled with overcoming a "carb phobia" since my eating disorder, and this diet isn't exactly low-carb, or Atkins friendly.

In answer to your question, I ate no starches or sugars for a long time not because of how they made my body feel, but because of my eating disordered mentality, and admittedly, because of a lot of literature I'd read on low-carb and low G.I. diets. I still struggle to get past the idea that some of the foods that really soothe my tummy (like breads and potatoes) are not "bad." But with the help of this diet and this website, I'm starting to reverse some of that thinking. In fact, I've come to realize that some of the only foods that were "safe" to me as an anorexic (like salad, for example) are actually harmful to my body right now.

I'm glad to hear that you give in sometimes to what your body craves...for me, it's been really starchy things, but for you, it sounds like it's more fatty foods, which your body probably really needs...it's all a process of "unlearning" our diet mentalities, and learning to listen to our bodies, and let them tell us what we need. It can be confusing, but it sounds like you're doing a wonderful job.

--------------------
Julia

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 149 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 6644

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review