All Boards >> IBS Fitness & Lifestyle Board Discussions

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
Thanks everybody.... new
      #240673 - 01/22/06 08:27 PM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

You are all AWESOME and don't you forget it! *big hugs all around*

This is such an emotional struggle for me, and I'm really fighting with it big time. I had made up my mind to be content with my size - for now, until I can get to see my doctor again - and Adam took me shopping so I could at least get some clothes that fit me. Well, I almost had a complete freakout in Old Navy when I couldn't even zip a 16, so you can guess how that went. I'm trying to be reasonable about this but it's so depressing, and THAT bugs me too. I used to be such a confident person, even being heavy, and I'm not anymore, and I don't know why. Argh!

Anyway, I won't keep ranting - I could go on about this waaaaay too long. I'm not going to give up, I'm still going to keep eating well and exercising. If nothing else, at least I know I won't be getting any bigger! *sigh*

Thanks for all the support and suggestions. I've had my thyroid tested fairly recently and it was fine, but since I have to see my *new* doctor soon anyway for my 1-year AD checkup, I'll mention the weight thing and see what he says. My *old* doctor seemed to think it was my fault.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Ok, I'm totally frustrated and baffled new
      #240676 - 01/22/06 08:37 PM
atomic rose

Quote:

Let me 1st say...that I have not read the whole thread before this reply.

Quote:

I haven't been reporting in because I've been pretty depressed about this... I was just going to keep it to myself, but I thought I'd get your input, if anybody has any. I'm glad you are not keeping to yourself sweetie...sorry it has taken me so long to reply.

I've been maintaining my calories at around 1400 (which sounds low, but trust me, this is my BMR + activity - 500 for weight loss, based on my age and whatnot) and doing tae-bo, as well as making myself more active around the house. I thought I had lost 5lbs, but it turns out it was just a temporary fluctuation... after 3 full weeks of this, I haven't lost a single d*mn pound. Wow that does seem low, but I'm sure you know what your doing..heck you teach people about it better that I can Hey, if it makes your feel any better...I got on the scale this morning and I gained FOUR pounds! But, I'm sure that will change....and that is after I worked my butt off for 3 hours in the gym Sat!! WTF!??!? LOL Shell darlin, with all the muscle-building you do, I'm totally not surprised to see the scale go up or stay the same now and then! I wish I could say that was my excuse! LOL As for the calories, what throws off the number is that other than my workout, I'm very sedentary - my calorie budget will go up in the warmer months, when I'm outside gardening and doing house projects.

I've never had this experience before. While I've always had weight problems, I've NEVER had problems dropping at least a few pounds when I have the discipline to stick with it for more than a couple days. In the past, I could have counted on 10lbs of loss for 3 weeks of dieting. Seriously. So I'm really at a loss as to why I CAN'T lose weight now. Most of those pounds being water right? Are you PMS'ing? Eaten a lot of salt? (I know you don't need to be low sodium for IBS, but salt really makes you retain water). Are you getting enough fiber (and releasing it too? ) LOL! I'm definitely getting and releasing plenty of fiber. And yeah, the weight in the past was likely water weight, but after that, I'd keep losing anyway if I stuck with it. I'm definitely not retaining water right now... I'm one of those people who can really tell when I am, my fingers and feet get super-puffy.

Could it be because of the Lexapro? Anyone on antidepressants experience difficulty losing weight because of them? YES!! It could be.... , I had a hard time when I first started them.... but went off of them for other reasons.

Could it be because of my birth control? Anyone have input on THAT? My Sister has a HECK of a time losing weight on BC. I HAVE noticed that I've gained weight differently since starting B.C.... I always had a nice hourglass shape, even when I was 270lbs , but now I have no waist and a huge belly, and it's really depressing me. I'm so sorry honey... I wish I was closer to ya so we could attack this together....in person.

I've never tried losing weight while on medications like this, so it's the first thing I thought of. As of my checkup this past summer, I didn't have anything physically wrong to speak of, including thyroid issues. I will be seeing my new doctor next month sometime, and I'll mention this weight problem, and see if anything else has to be ruled out. I really doubt it, though. I think I'm just destined to be fat now. NO, YOUR NOT... you know.....this does not "sound" like the Casey that I know.... your not very confident right now.... that might be the Lexapro talking.... please keep posting about how your feeling and maybe even keep a journal to show your Dr how your mood is as well. I totally agree... I don't feel like the Casey I know, either. I've lost every bit of confidence I ever had. I have to see my dr in the next month anyway, because my lexapro prescrip is running out, and I'm going to see if maybe I should try something else. I need to be on anti-anxiety medication, because I'm a basketcase without it... but I'm kind of scared to try something else. I mean, what if the next med does the same thing and I end up even bigger?

I'm sorry to ramble on about this - I just needed to vent. You vent anytime you like..... It's really, really frustrating to deprive yourself of sweets and junk and things you really want to be eating, and make yourself work out when you'd rather be knitting, and then have all that deprivation not amount to ANYTHING. I've been so depressed that I don't even want to leave the house, because of how horrible I look. {{BIG HUGS}} I'm sure your are not horrible looking at all... now you STOP THAT!! {{{{BIG HUGS}}}} back atcha! Thank you, Shell, you're a voice of sanity and reason around here!

Phooey. (And that sad face isn't even sad enough for how I feel right now... how lame is that?)

Re: Ok, I'm totally frustrated and baffled new
      #241770 - 01/26/06 11:20 AM
watts

Reged: 01/26/06
Loc: New York, NY

I'm on this for the first time and just read what you wrote. I just wanted to know if you had a TH3 which is a 3rd genteration thyroid test, most doctors don't know to test for that, so just FYI and the Lexapro could definitely be holding you back from weight loss. You may want to ask your dr. about anti-depressants that won't do that, there's plenty out there!

--------------------
Amy

Re: If it's any consolation at all, Tina... new
      #242034 - 01/27/06 08:31 AM
Sara-Sage

Reged: 02/04/04

I don't know how I didn't see this...

I wonder how you gained more weight. Have you considered that you might have a thyroid problem or something?

I'm so sorry, I hear ya and that would be hard. Just remember that you're beautiful no matter what. I would go to your doctors and try to figure this out Casey.

My doctor was alarmed that I put on 30lbs and wanted to run some tests. He even said that if after changing my diet I couldn't lose the weight then he would try me on something to decrease mt appetite. Could that be an option for you?

Big hugs Casey, I know this must be so hard for you. Try to think of it as temporary though. Email me any time. tinaspafford@aol.com

Re: If it's any consolation at all, Tina... new
      #242045 - 01/27/06 08:52 AM
atomic rose

Yeah, I've had my thyroid checked a couple times over the past year and a half, most recently this past summer. My doctors aren't necessarily alarmed because (1) I've been overweight most of my life anyway and (2) I was so UNDERWEIGHT before that they're glad I've gained. But I'm just about to start up with a new doctor, so I'll mention it and see what they want to do. I'm also limited by what MaineCare will pay for, so if they say I can't get tested again, I won't. *shrug*

I don't think it's possible for me to be on something that decreases my appetite. I'm already only eating 1400 calories a day AND exercising AND nothing is happening. I'm never hungry. I just eat because I have to to keep my guts happy.

Thanks for the thoughts, though. *hugs*

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 48 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 13875

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review