All Boards >> IBS Fitness & Lifestyle Board Discussions

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Munchies Questions
      #239096 - 01/17/06 08:05 AM
Saveena

Reged: 11/22/04
Loc: Texas

What do y'all eat to keep the munchies at bay? I am in the process of trying to reduce my caloric intake through cutting portions and reducing sweets. However, I am constantly thinking of food and sugar! I drink lots of water and try to limit my snacking, but I feel like I need something to help me get used to eating half a chicken breast rather than a whole one.

Any suggestions?

~ Lisa

--------------------
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, because you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Munchies Questions new
      #239105 - 01/17/06 09:02 AM
jaime g

Reged: 07/27/05
Loc: new york city

hey lisa. i've found that a much healthier way (i'm talking mentally, here) for me to deal with cravings is to find ways to satisfy them with lower-calorie foods - chocolate sorbet rather than fudgy (soy) ice cream, caramel rice cakes rather than cookies, a bowl of frosted flakes with soy milk when i'm craving something crunchy and sweet. that way i'm not *depriving* myself, which, at least for me, never works for long. there's a great book about this approach, which also has lots of very sane weight-loss advice - dr. shapiro's picture perfect weight loss. i found it a very helpful read.

--------------------
jaime
ibs-a (mostly d) // vegetarian

#239120 - 01/17/06 09:32 AM
Saveena

Deprivation does not work for me at all. I end up gaining weight when I try to do it that way. That's along the lines of what I've been trying to do. But I was hoping that someone had a secret herb or pill that I didn't know about! LOL

I'm also trying to calm the sugar tooth with fruit juices instead of peppermints. Only problem with rice cakes is that they don't satisfy me either. And if I don't count out my portion, I will eat the whole bag before I know what I've done!

~ Lisa

--------------------
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, because you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!

#239132 - 01/17/06 09:57 AM
jaime g

i would definitely take a look at this book, then. the main 'gimick' to it is using pictures to help you build calorie awareness - half a bagel with cream cheese next to a huge breakfast that has the same calories, or two similar meals of the same size but of vastly different calorie counts. so it shows you how to find satisfying portions with lower calories.

the other aspect of the book is a lot of sane, helpful advice about weight loss - the mechanics and psychology. not just about calories and portion sizes, but about having a healthy mind-set - for example, about cheating and binging, and how not to let one indulgence "ruin" your day, your week, or your diet.

one thing about the fruit juice, though, and this is something the book covers - although it doesn't have fat, it is really dense calorically. in fact, to equal the calories in one glass of juice, you'd have to eat at least twenty or thirty peppermint candies. (i'm guestimating there, but if anything it's more.) if that's the case, you're better off with the peppermints that you were actually craving. but if you're looking to replace them with something all-around healthier - not just lower calorie but with vitamins and fiber - maybe try whole fruit instead.

--------------------
jaime

#239181 - 01/17/06 11:46 AM
Saveena

Thank you for the suggestions!

Just as an FYI... the peppermints in question are 60 calories each and have HFCS. Where as 12 oz of apple juice has 170 calories and no HCFS. I have to avoid HCFS like the plague. It used to trigger asthma attacks in me and now days my IBS flares up from it.

--------------------

#239183 - 01/17/06 11:50 AM
jaime g

gotcha. i'd been thinking of the little peppermint sucking candies, which are usually around 20-30 calories each.

--------------------
jaime

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 51 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2972

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review