All Boards >> IBS Fitness & Lifestyle Board Discussions

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | >> (show all)
REPORTING IN - 1/16/06
      #238856 - 01/16/06 09:55 AM
Shell Marr

Reged: 08/04/03
Loc: Seattle, WA USA

Everyone post their report for what you did on 1/16 here....

--------------------
www.facebook.com/shell.marr

www.myspace.com/shellmarr

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

WIND.. QUESTION... new
      #238881 - 01/16/06 10:34 AM
Dr. Spice Yamin

Reged: 04/15/04
Loc: Maryland

I have a bunch of beets in my fridge..

what are some of the fancy ideas you have involving beets?
thanks!

(I also have baby spinach, celery, onions, sweet potatoes, regular potatoes, carrots, green pepper, cucumber, romaine lettuce and portabello mushrooms in my fridge) I dunno if any of those mix well though with your ideas..

--------------------

Re: WIND.. QUESTION... new
      #238962 - 01/16/06 03:04 PM
Wind

Reged: 04/02/05

ROASTED BEETS RULE! (Peel them after they cook; it's easier)
Just oven bake them like you would a potatatoes, i.e. wrapped in foil.

You could make a wonderful romaine salad--very safe with the portabellas & the beets. Baby spinach is great wilted. Maybe a warm beet & baby spinach side dish with your favourite herbs? Romaine & portabella mushroom salad? With sweet potatoes, the colours would be opulent--the deep green, the red/purple, and the earthy brown. You could dress those beets up with a balsalmic vinegar/vinaigrette or whip up something with dijon. Maple dijon? Those natural sugars seem to totally want to carmelize & actually don't really need much doctoring. Instructions in depth for roasting beets are on the recipe board.

You could also do a "mock tomato" sauce (see recipe index) with the carrots, beets & celery.

Truthfully, I'd keep it more or less simple--the ingredients speak for themselves alone!

I know that's a boring response. Roasted pureed beets are outstanding as a sauce/dressing/gravy type of thing. I'd be a "weirdo" and puree the roasted beets and put that on my lettuce with the mushrooms & spinach puree with balsalmic & whatever herbs I'm in the mood for & also dunk sweet potatoe fries in them. Portabella mushrooms have that mock beefiness about them to make them either steak-like or burger like! Hmmm...I bet sweet potatoe whipped with beet would be really yummy in a retro-comfort food sort of way.

Just had another flash thought--grate the cooked beets &/or carrots and have a fabulous confetti kind of sunburst side/topping??? Add your favourite kind of acidity. Hey! I'd just toss it on top of my romaine & splash with some kind of vinaigrette!

Kate.

Edited by Wind (01/16/06 03:34 PM)

Re: WIND.. QUESTION... new
      #238963 - 01/16/06 03:06 PM
Dr. Spice Yamin

i was thinking about mixing the beets and sweet potato together.. i'll have to try it out.

--------------------

Do you have any "Morrocan" or African types of spices? new
      #238974 - 01/16/06 03:47 PM
Wind

Something really warming, in the spice department would work great with the sweet potatoe, the beets, the carrots, even the green pepper. Cinnamon, definitely...curry, perhaps? Some ginger? Maybe a masala of some sort? A little chili? It definitely has some sweet with heat potential. I smell cumin already. YUM. Even fennel. Aromatics would really make it outstanding--and simple!

Kate.

Re: REPORTING IN - 1/16/06 new
      #238998 - 01/16/06 04:35 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

Cals: less than 1800. Exercise: advanced walk on treadmill for 35 min and lots of situps. Advanced walk goes up to 7 on the inclination which is pretty high. I seem to have no problem with it.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

#239002 - 01/16/06 04:48 PM
Dr. Spice Yamin

I'll edit it as I eat more food.. but I want to remember everything..

Gym- Eliptical- 30 mins, burned 315 cals.

Breakfast- two small waffles, with 1 1/2 tsps lite syrup. 1/2 a handful of toasted oatmeal squares (tiny tiny), water with a splash of cran.

Lunch- 1 coke, 1 serving of trader joe's steamed ShuMai

Then my friend called, boyfriend problems and wanted to meet up for late lunch at the cheesecake factory. Took four immodiums and ate... 1/2 crab cake sandwhich (phenomenal BTW) with no tarter sauce etc, and french fries. (diet ruiner I know.. PMS I tell you.. oh and our one and only Amandapanda for raving about it and reccommending it to me! )

Late Dinner- other half of crab cake sandwich without the bun. (still phenomenal).

Late Night Snack- 3/4 c toasted oatmeal cereal dry
handful of sweettarts conversation hearts.

--------------------

Edited by spicey813 (01/16/06 08:22 PM)

REPORTING IN - 1/16/06 new
      #239033 - 01/16/06 06:43 PM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

breakfast: 2 crackers, granola w/ soy milk
snack: 3 biscotti
lunch: big ol' salad, biscuit
dinner: turkey ham, 2 slices of lite garlic bread, green beans w/ onions
dessert: 3 biscotti
snack: granola w/ soy milk

workout: tae bo, and I really pushed it

Good day today... I'm still not seeing any results, but I'm pleased with myself anyway.

#239036 - 01/16/06 06:52 PM
Wind

Chicken Breast (1/2 c.)
Asparagus
Spinach
a twist of lemon
all food processed (really good! babyfood chicken salad?)
P.C. fatfree raspberry vinaigrette (10 cal./tbsp.)

asian eggplant puree with TONS of parsley (this was amazing!)
on top of romaine lettuce
with "scalloped" zucchini
fresh lemon & balsalmic

chicken breast/asparagus/baby spinach food processor combo. (eek! i'm starting to sound like a drive thru--combo. no. ??? supersize that ginger tea, s.v.p.!!!)
cinnamon & nutmeg & dijon (cinnamon is so good on chicken & spinach! and nutmeg!)
cauliflower "faux-taters" topped with chives

more field greens (for dessert? weird i know)
topped with really savory portabella mushroom crumbles & a little bit of anise
& some of that fatfree raspberry dressing
extra rosemary & lavendar, herbs de provence
a little lemon zest & juice
more cinnamon (sometimes I just go nuts shaking things)

I think that's it. I will advise if there is more. Sometimes, if I don't have a protein bedtime snack I wake-up starving @ 4 a.m.

I think, Ginger tea might be a really good vinaigrette.

Kate.

P.S. I DID have a bedtime snack--cinnamon & nutmeg & ginger & stevia infused unsweetened carrageenan-free soy milk.

4 a.m. nibble: 1/2 c. chicken breast shreds!

Yup, I know...I'm barely meeting my basal needs!

Edited by Wind (01/17/06 10:49 AM)

Okay, I gotta ask... new
      #239040 - 01/16/06 07:30 PM
Stephie

Reged: 03/10/04
Loc: Vancouver, Canada

Quote:

breakfast: 2 crackers, granola w/ soy milk
snack: 3 biscotti
lunch: big ol' salad, biscuit
... about this big 'ol salad of yours! Maybe you have said before and I missed it, so sorry if I am making you repeat yourself but... What exactly is in your "big ol' salad"? I used to looove salad but I wouldn't go near it now. My nutritionist told me not to eat it because it was "too cold" (eh?), but it is more the leafy'ness that scares me! Every time I see this in your posts, I get curious so.. spill the beans, girl!
dinner: turkey ham, 2 slices of lite garlic bread, green beans w/ onions
dessert: 3 biscotti
snack: granola w/ soy milk

workout: tae bo, and I really pushed it
Good for you! Wednesday I am off to the post office to send you that video so you'll have more to play with.

Good day today... I'm still not seeing any results, but I'm pleased with myself anyway.
I wouldn't say that!! You said you LOST 5 LBS!! Dude, those are RESULTS. I haven't lost a single pound yet, I think my pants actually feel a little tighter!
I am very proud of you, I think you are doing awesomely kick-butt!

Cheers!
--Steph

--------------------
~~I'm not crazy, I'm just a little unwell-I know right now you can't tell~~Matchbox 20
IBS-D,pain.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 127 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 12112

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review