All Boards >> IBS Fitness & Lifestyle Board Discussions

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
Safe Protein Powders/Bars??
      #237319 - 01/10/06 03:59 PM
CaliSnowboarder

Reged: 01/10/06
Loc: San Francisco, CA

Are there any safe Protein Powders or bars out there for people with IBS-D?
Anything I can do to help with not getting "D" when going on long runs, hikes, extensive exercise?? Help!
Also, any other advice for helping out an IBS-D athlete get my "D" under control would be awesome!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Safe Protein Powders/Bars?? new
      #237345 - 01/10/06 04:22 PM
Shell Marr

Reged: 08/04/03
Loc: Seattle, WA USA

Luna Bars

Jay Robb Egg White Protein Powder Drink I buy it right from this site, if you spend $50 the shipping is free.

Also, read this thread... web page

--------------------
www.facebook.com/shell.marr

www.myspace.com/shellmarr

#237353 - 01/10/06 04:28 PM
CaliSnowboarder

Thank you! Thank you! I will be sure to try the Egg White Protien Powder and Luna Bars.
Much appreciated advice.

#237361 - 01/10/06 04:41 PM
jaime g

Reged: 07/27/05
Loc: new york city

for taste i prefer spiru-tein. it's really delicious.

--------------------
jaime
ibs-a (mostly d) // vegetarian

#237683 - 01/11/06 02:18 PM
Shell Marr

spiru-tein does "TASTE" better.... but if you look at the ingredients and if it is PROTEIN that you want.... Jay Robb has 24 grams for only 100 cal if you mix with 6oz water.... or you can use soy or rice milk too. I do agree spiru-tein does taste better and is thicker

--------------------

Re: Safe Protein Powders/Bars for IBS-D?? new
      #237687 - 01/11/06 02:22 PM
CaliSnowboarder

What is IBS-A? I've not heard of that before, but see it noted often on this site. I've only heard of IBS-C (constipation) and IBS-D (crappy).
Any other awesome advice on how to stop the "D" is greatly appreciated. Thanks so much!

#237689 - 01/11/06 02:24 PM
CaliSnowboarder

Good to know about the differ btwn the two protein shakes. This is so helpful! Maybe I should try both? Or what about buying the Jay Robb and adding oatmeal to it in the blender to make it thicker?

Re: Safe Protein Powders/Bars for IBS-D?? new
      #237690 - 01/11/06 02:25 PM
jaime g

ibs-a means you Alternate between d & c. super fun, right? for some people attacks come as both, in a cycle - they're c, until they get an attack of d, and then they get c again. for others, their attacks are mostly d, but they get c sometimes.

--------------------
jaime

#237693 - 01/11/06 02:27 PM
jaime g

i don't know if the oatmeal thing would work... i find spiru-tein's so thick that it's *too* thick in the blender. when shaken it does tend to clump, but even the clumps taste good, so...

what i've been doing lately is half of each in soy milk - i started that to use up my jay robb's stuff (i dislike the taste enough, personally, that i just stopped drinking it - it felt like a chore), but the combination works really well for consistency, and then has less sugar than straight spiru-tein.

--------------------
jaime

#237696 - 01/11/06 02:35 PM
Shell Marr

Quote:

Good to know about the differ btwn the two protein shakes. This is so helpful! Maybe I should try both? Or what about buying the Jay Robb and adding oatmeal to it in the blender to make it thicker?

I have done this the last two days, cook the oatmeal and THEN add the jay robb...otherwise it clumps.... I really like it that way.

--------------------

#237698 - 01/11/06 02:39 PM
Shell Marr

Yes, the spiru-tein gets so think you could almost eat it as pudding....but the longer it sits the thicker and grainer it gets...but tastes yummy...

Great idea mixing them....

Make sure with the Jay Robb that you only use 6oz fl if using as a shake (more like choc water or thin thin choc milk). The flavor is soooo mild...you really lose the little that there is with too much liquid.

Quote:

i don't know if the oatmeal thing would work... i find spiru-tein's so thick that it's *too* thick in the blender. when shaken it does tend to clump, but even the clumps taste good, so...

what i've been doing lately is half of each in soy milk - i started that to use up my jay robb's stuff (i dislike the taste enough, personally, that i just stopped drinking it - it felt like a chore), but the combination works really well for consistency, and then has less sugar than straight spiru-tein.

--------------------

#237701 - 01/11/06 02:43 PM
jaime g

yeah, remember that i have the vanilla jay robb - if i recall, the chocolate has 12 or 14g protein per serving, the vanilla has 24, but they have the same calories, so the chocolate has half its calories coming from flavoring, where the vanilla, well, doesn't.

--------------------
jaime

#237710 - 01/11/06 03:38 PM
CaliSnowboarder

Thank you Jamie and Shell for the details on the protein shakes. I look forward to trying your suggestions! Now, i just have to wait for the powder to be delivered.
Thanks again for all the clarifications.

#237716 - 01/11/06 04:09 PM
Shell Marr

Quote:

yeah, remember that i have the vanilla jay robb - if i recall, the chocolate has 12 or 14g protein per serving, the vanilla has 24, but they have the same calories, so the chocolate has half its calories coming from flavoring, where the vanilla, well, doesn't.

Here is the info on Jay Robb Choc Egg White Protein (the vanilla also has 24 gm protein)

Serving Size: 28.3g (1 scoop)
Amount Per Serving
Calories: 100 Calories from fat: 0
Total Fat: 0 g
Saturated Fat: 0 g
Cholesterol: 0 mg
Sodium: 260 mg (naturally occurring)
Total Carbohydrates: >1 g
Dietary Fiber: 0 g
Sugars: 0 g
Protein: 24 g

--------------------

#237766 - 01/11/06 05:50 PM
CaliSnowboarder

Just bought the Chocolate 1lb, to try it out... will take a week to deliver. I'm not a big vanilla fan. Thanks for the details! Hopefully it's super nice to my belly. Thanks again.

#237773 - 01/11/06 06:00 PM
CaliSnowboarder

Jamie, there are a zillion flavors... any suggestions? Chocolate is always a safe bet, but thought i'd ask anyway. Also, which kind of powder? Simply Natural SPIRU-TEIN , Whey, or Original SPIRU-TEIN?
I'm so new to this protein shake thing. Thanks!

#237792 - 01/11/06 08:13 PM
jaime g

i have the banana flavour, and adore it. (drinking it now!) i'd just go with whatever appeals to you, or buy a few single-serve packs to try them out. it's soy, so i think that means 'original.'

--------------------
jaime

#237793 - 01/11/06 08:14 PM
jaime g

i stand corrected!

--------------------
jaime

Re: Safe Protein Powders/Bars?? -- Costly?? new
      #238155 - 01/12/06 09:30 PM
EvilCats

Reged: 02/24/05

This protein powder looks intriguing, however I didn't realize that the darn stuff was so costly.

If I were to take 3 servings a day, it would probably cost over $1500 CDN per year, not including shipping.

Shell you seem to swear by it. Has anyone had any bad experiences with this? I would be worried if I bought it only to experience extreme bloating. I tried eating tons of egg whites every day but it got really annoying to remove the yolks and they didn't always agree with me.

Any advice is appreciated.

Warmest regards,
EvilCats

#238157 - 01/12/06 09:47 PM
Shell Marr

Email them.... info@jayrobb.com request a sample!! They are wonderful about it. Also, FYI if you order over $25 the GROUND shipping is free. Also check Whole Foods and other HF Stores... or also ask in your email for locations near you that sell it. Really, this is a wonderful company and they WILL reply "personally" to YOUR email.

You may want to read posts from Jamie about her experience...read this whole thread that THIS post is in right now...as well as this one.

Quote:

This protein powder looks intriguing, however I didn't realize that the darn stuff was so costly.

If I were to take 3 servings a day, it would probably cost over $1500 CDN per year, not including shipping.

Shell you seem to swear by it. Has anyone had any bad experiences with this? I would be worried if I bought it only to experience extreme bloating. I tried eating tons of egg whites every day but it got really annoying to remove the yolks and they didn't always agree with me.

Any advice is appreciated.

Warmest regards,
EvilCats

--------------------

#238204 - 01/13/06 07:24 AM
jaime g

they are expensive, but unless proscribed to do so by a dr, trainer, or nutritionist or something, i don't think there's any reason to take them three times a day if you have other sources of protein in your diet. i just about never do more than one a day, and go days without it if i'm getting lots of protein elsewhere. (i use it mostly, and i drink spiru-tein, for a post-workout snack, so i know i have plenty of protein in my system, for making muscle and whatnot. )

--------------------
jaime

#238225 - 01/13/06 08:43 AM
Sassi0619

Reged: 01/06/06
Loc: Vermont

Are all the luna bars safe??? I got one the other day to try and loved it, but didn't know if the chocolate ones are safe???

#238228 - 01/13/06 08:57 AM
Shell Marr

Quote:

Are all the luna bars safe??? I got one the other day to try and loved it, but didn't know if the chocolate ones are safe???

Yes, they are all safe... a few of them are higher in fat like the peanut butter cookie, so you might want to only eat half of that one. Use the Nutz over choc as a guideline...that one has a safe amount of fat.

--------------------

#238242 - 01/13/06 09:43 AM
Sassi0619

Reged: 01/06/06
Loc: Vermont

Yeah!!!!! I got the crandberry and nut one and it was really good, so will stop on my way home tonight and get more!!!!

Congrats on your weight loss!! You are an inspiration to fitness!

#238244 - 01/13/06 10:09 AM
Shell Marr

Quote:

Yeah!!!!! I got the crandberry and nut one and it was really good, so will stop on my way home tonight and get more!!!!

Congrats on your weight loss!! You are an inspiration to fitness!

UUMm... Toasted Nuts & Cranberry is MY PERSONAL fav!!
Thanks!!

--------------------

#238402 - 01/13/06 07:07 PM
EvilCats

Reged: 02/24/05

Thanks, Jaime and Shell for the replies.

I often wonder if I am not getting the optimal amount of protein. I eat a lot of chicken but there are meals where I will only get about 10-15g of protein. There are definitely conflicting results though -- a lot of sources recommend taking 1-1.5g per lb of bodyweight per day (so 180-270g for me) (I am a guy though so it may differ for ladies). However, the biggest, baddest guy I know only gets maybe 100-150g per day (according to the 'rule' he should be getting 300-450g per day).

Shell, I wrote to the company and they were very friendly. Unfortunately they do not ship to Canada but they did point me to some resalers who will. You have been most helpful.

Best wishes in reaching your fitness goals!!

Warmest regards,
EvilCats

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 98 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 14100

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review