All Boards >> IBS Fitness & Lifestyle Board Discussions

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
IBS diet for 18 year old distance swimmer
      #236942 - 01/09/06 02:00 PM
specialK

Reged: 01/09/06

My son (age 18) was recently diagnosed with IBS. He is a Freshman in college and swims competitively (trains for distance events). College cafeteria food and major consumption of food to refuel is a problem. Any suggestions from college students or athletes on how to manage an IBS diet which in this frame work ?

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: IBS diet for 18 year old distance swimmer BUMP! new
      #236985 - 01/09/06 05:11 PM
Snow for Sarala

Reged: 03/12/03
Loc: West Coast, USA

I don't have any suggestions. I am BUMPing this message though to help others see it more readily so it gets some attention.

Thanks for being such a super mom!!! *hugs*

Ruchily

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

Re: IBS diet for 18 year old distance swimmer new
      #237054 - 01/09/06 09:24 PM
retrograde

Reged: 04/15/04

Definitely try doing a search in the "IBS Diet" section of the message boards. I know dealing with college cafeteria food is a topic that's been discussed before so hopefully you'll get some good tips for him!

(I'm in university right now, but luckily I never lived in the dorms so I never had to deal with the food!)

Particularly, a while back there was a survey of sorts done for people in college with IBS... lots of good info. I really recommend taking a look at it. Here's the link: "Hello and a request to college kids"

Edited by retrograde (01/09/06 09:32 PM)

Re: IBS diet for 18 year old distance swimmer BUMP! new
      #237760 - 01/11/06 05:40 PM
eawills

Reged: 08/16/05

Can he eat often, and always starting with good soluable fiber, even if he brings it on his own to the cafeteria? I was diagnosed with IBS-D my last year of college, and though I didn't live in dorms at that point, I ate out a lot. I would always have some sourdough bread beforehand to give my tummy a fair chance. Also, he might try taking one Immodium AD pill in the mornings and evenings if diarrhea is his problem. It has made a world of difference fr me keeping my gut stable.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 23 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2048

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review