All Boards >> IBS Fitness & Lifestyle Board Discussions

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | >> (show all)
Re: Shell..the egg white protein you eat... new
      #237360 - 01/10/06 04:40 PM
jaime g

Reged: 07/27/05
Loc: new york city

i actually bought the same brand at whole foods a few months ago.

i don't know if this is personal taste or what, though - i know shell has the chocolate flavor - but i have the vanilla and i find it kinda pretty gross. but it comes in single-serve packets to try.

--------------------
jaime
ibs-a (mostly d) // vegetarian

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Thanks Ladies!!! new
      #237364 - 01/10/06 04:46 PM
Snow for Sarala

Reged: 03/12/03
Loc: West Coast, USA

Well...I think I'm gonna have to skip it cause I can't find a Kosher symblol on it on their website (unless I see it at Whole Foods and find one of the back of the product label...thanks Jaime!)

Well...I would have to do the vanilla one! And I would have to mix it in water. It's not sounding very appealing...

I was hoping to find some way to get protein that would fit my dietary needs...maybe I'l give a packet a try and see how it goes...but I don't think I would spend all the money on the big tub!

Thank you again for your help and opinions...you're great!

Love ya!

Ruchie

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

Re: Thanks Ladies!!! new
      #237403 - 01/10/06 07:08 PM
jaime g

ruchie, if you absolutely can't find it, let me know - i work three blocks from whole foods. i can buy a sample packet (checking for the kashrut symbol - they taught me good in hebrew day school!) and mail it to you.

--------------------
jaime

#237529 - 01/11/06 08:16 AM
Snow for Sarala

Reged: 03/12/03
Loc: West Coast, USA

Jaime!

That was SO sweet of you! *hugs*

Do you go there to buy food for yourself anyway? If you could check for a Heksher (Kosher Symbol) and see if it's Kosher that would be super! (I'm upping my bipolar meds tom. so I'll be too zonked to drive safely for a few days.)

Thanks Jaime!

P.S. they taught you Kashrus symbols at Hebrew School? WOW! You went to a good one!

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

#237538 - 01/11/06 08:23 AM
jaime g

i went to a hebrew day school (not a sunday school) for six years, so i'm pretty well-versed. when i was twelve i could speak some good hebrew, too. (it's weird - i'm becoming friends lately with someone who's more religious than anyone i'm regularly around, and he's bringing back all these memories from elementary school, too.)

i just realized i have the vanilla egg white powder in my fridge at home (duh!) so i can just check it tonight.

--------------------
jaime

Re: REPORTING IN - 1/9/06 new
      #237557 - 01/11/06 09:03 AM
Shell Marr

Reged: 08/04/03
Loc: Seattle, WA USA

Quote:

Emerald Valley Kitchen Organic Roasted Garlic Hummus

This is the kind I just finished off too! YUMMERS!!

--------------------
www.facebook.com/shell.marr

www.myspace.com/shellmarr

Kate new
      #237798 - 01/11/06 08:40 PM
retrograde

Reged: 04/15/04

Quote:

Thanks, Laurel. I've seen them @ those stores & wondered if they were any good/safe. I will file it on my list of things to try when feeling more adventurous! It would be a great dipper/sauce for carrots, or even a potato/sweet potato topper. Years ago, I used to use it as a dressing/sauce for all kinds of foods. I'm more of a babaganush type, though.

You really have to scrutinize some of those dip labels, though. So many of them are RUINED by unnecessary additions of dairy/msg.

Ugh, I know! What is with that? I hate finding a really yummy looking dip only to find that they've ruined it by adding some dairy derivative or msg...sigh.

Thanks for the non-smoking encouragement. Honestly, IT IS SO HARD!!! (It literally hurts!!!)But, after the first 3 weeks...I KNOW I can make this habit/lifestyle STICK. I really do think that it takes 21 days to "make" or "break" a habit. So, I've past the 21 day post. I still tell myself that this is the best metaphoric airplane ride that I've ever been on (hey, no smoking on jets, right?) & that real oxygen is more of a buzz. Yes, I take time to mentally program myself everyday. I think the worst coping habit that I have is occaisonal sugarless gum chewing or altoid/tic tac moments! This is probably way to much information, however, butt (!) my bathroom doesn't smell like a European toilet. Hey, after age 30, smoking is just TACKY!!!

Haha, Kate you crack me up. I love the 'jet' metaphor! I've heard that too about the 21 days to make a habit stick... so it looks like you're gold! I've been trying to make the habit of keeping my apartment clean 'stick', but so far I haven't even come near 21 days... ... haha. Really though, GO KATE GO!

And now, when I'm in the company of smokers smoking, especially my father, I just want to vomit, do laundry, etc.
I cannot wait to bathe. My eyes literally burn and my skin feels disgusting. (Okay, I'll stop; I think you get the inner coaching/mental reprogramming effect!) Yes, indeed..."everyday, in everyway, I feel better & better & better & better!!!" I'm down to only wearing the patch for 1/2 day. I know though, for any lifestyle change EXCEPTIONAL mental revisioning is required.

NOW, shut up KATE!!!

LOL!!

By the way, have you ever tried any of the RENEE's dressings in the refridgerated salad dressing area? I LOVE the 2 "Wellness" dressings I've tried so far--"Pom-berry" & "Tuscan Italian." I think I'm going to try the "Fig-Balsalmic" next. The "Ravin Raspberry" vinaigrette is really good & so is "Poppyseed Lite." But seriously, I was really impressed with the "Wellness" ones I've tried, so far. They are available at Sobey's & zehrs/Loblaws. I didn't see them at Food Basics, though & haven't been to Price Chopper in awhile, I confess.

Oooh these sound good! I haven't seen them around but I haven't been to Sobey's since I got back to London. I usually go to Price Chopper (just because it's cheaper) but there's also an A&P nearby so next time I'm there I'll keep an eye out! Are they low-fat?

Also (I know spinach is one of your safest foods & you're as much of a turbo-chef as I am!), zapping (microwaving) fresh baby spinach in the bag steams it beyond perfection with no dishes to deal with! I did mine for about 3 min. and it was beyond awesome tossed with spaghetti squash (which I let cook itself ultra-fast in the nuker, too!) For the spinach, I just opened the zipper flap a tad to allow air to channel through--no need for explosives! It works really well on those quick-fix green beans in the bags, as well, incidentally. Just poke the bag & "zap." I've also done it with zucchini I've pre-sliced at the speed of light in the food processor with one of those myriad crazy blade attachments. Lol! Dishes! How barbaric!

hmm that's a good idea! I guess it wouldn't be long enough for the bag to melt right? Sadly my spinach comes unbagged so I just bag it in those flimsy grocery store bags, which I wouldn't trust in the microwave for a second. Yikes! But I DO like the idea of no dishes! I actually made a yummy spinachy pesto for lunch today, but instead of using garlic and basil like I usually do, I got adventurous and used a bunch of ginger and and cinnamon! I was a little nervous as to how it would turn out, but it was GOOD! Yay for experimentation.

Oh, and on the puree-ing front - I got a fun chopper/grinder kitchen gadget for xmas! It's kind of like a mini, low-tech food processor I guess, but I just love it. It's so easy to use and to clean up - much better than my old blender!

I ALSO got a breadmaker. Confession: my breadmaker is my new boyfriend. LOL. Seriously though, it has this delay function where you can put all the ingredients in and tell it to start up to 9 hours from them, so this morning I woke up to the aroma of fresh baking bread and had warm, freshly baked bread for breakfast. Talk about divine!

Nice toys, Laurel (& a link) new
      #238007 - 01/12/06 12:48 PM
Wind

Reged: 04/02/05

Wow, nice new toys, Laurel! You sure scored with Santa! What did you do? Leave him some of Heather's Brown Sugar Banana Bread with a mug of Soy Milk?

Re: the spinach in the microwave. Maybe if you rinse it & then put it in a zip lock with an air gap? I agree re: the produce bags being to thin/untrustworthy. Stovetop wilting is really speedy, too. You're ginger/cinnamon pesto sounds positively scrumptuous. I'm addicted to an organic dijon with cinnamon in it. Maybe a twist of dijon?

Here's a link for the Wellness dressings. Some of them are lowfat. Others have 7 or 8 grams, which I personally experience as RISKY in a meal. www.wellnessdressing.com/

I LOVE the POM-BERRY the best, so far. I'm going to try the BALSALMIC-FIG, next. Both are fabulous splashed on greens/spinach!!! I also really like the RAVIN' RASPBERRY dressing which has 1g of fat/tbsp.

Another quick dressing flavour-fix I love is NEWMAN'S OWN LOWFAT SESAME THAI dressing. It has 1.5g of fat/2 tbsp. so quite safe! I bet it would be delicious with tofu & veggies, rice, etc. It's great with spinach, too!

So, about you mentioning that your new breadmachine is your new boyfriend...does that mean Andrew vanished???

Kate.

Re: Nice toys, Laurel (& a link) new
      #238077 - 01/12/06 04:39 PM
retrograde

Reged: 04/15/04

Quote:

Wow, nice new toys, Laurel! You sure scored with Santa! What did you do? Leave him some of Heather's Brown Sugar Banana Bread with a mug of Soy Milk?

Yep, exactly! haha

Re: the spinach in the microwave. Maybe if you rinse it & then put it in a zip lock with an air gap? I agree re: the produce bags being to thin/untrustworthy. Stovetop wilting is really speedy, too. You're ginger/cinnamon pesto sounds positively scrumptuous. I'm addicted to an organic dijon with cinnamon in it. Maybe a twist of dijon?

duh... ziploc! Yeah I'm sure that would work! I've got lots of those big freezer ones lying around. And the dijon sounds goooood. I'm definitely going to try that.

Here's a link for the Wellness dressings. Some of them are lowfat. Others have 7 or 8 grams, which I personally experience as RISKY in a meal. www.wellnessdressing.com/

I LOVE the POM-BERRY the best, so far. I'm going to try the BALSALMIC-FIG, next. Both are fabulous splashed on greens/spinach!!! I also really like the RAVIN' RASPBERRY dressing which has 1g of fat/tbsp.

Those look great! Pom Berry looks yummy. Tuscan Italian looks interesting too. I don't think I've seen them before but the Renee's logo does look familiar...

Another quick dressing flavour-fix I love is NEWMAN'S OWN LOWFAT SESAME THAI dressing. It has 1.5g of fat/2 tbsp. so quite safe! I bet it would be delicious with tofu & veggies, rice, etc. It's great with spinach, too!

So, about you mentioning that your new breadmachine is your new boyfriend...does that mean Andrew vanished???

Nah... he's just taking second fiddle for a little while! haha! kidding

Laurel, you are a genius &-- new
      #238081 - 01/12/06 05:03 PM
Wind

Reged: 04/02/05

Laurel, you are a genius.

Based on one of your recent menu posts, I did a little quick food processor experimentation with egg whites. I put the cooked omelette fixings in the processor & OMIGOD!!! This tastes positively decandant in the most bizarre way. I just cannot describe it! I felt like I was eating dip or a savory pie filling, and it was just egg whites (cooked) & veggies (a very psychedelic egg salad???). I just cannot get over how fatfree & "rich" this was! I'm converted. Must try this with grilled/broiled zucchini & herbs, soon! Have you ever pulverized mushrooms via food processor? I do this virtually all the time & trust me, it's like eating vegan sausage or ground beef. It is the most decadantly savory filling for egg white creations & I suspect vegan perogies too. With some lowfat soft tofu...OMIGOD! The possibilities are very interesting.

Anyways, I thought I'd say thank you for the food processed egg white idea.

And the TUSCAN ITALIAN is the best Italian I've ever tried--way better than that Kraft crap! I think that the carrot juice makes it very unique (& you wouldn't know that there's flax or fish oils in it!).

Whew! I'm glad Andrew is still in the picture! (Just checking)

Kate.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 128 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 13540

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review