All Boards >> IBS Fitness & Lifestyle Board Discussions

View all threads Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Athletic Musician trying to gain weight back
      #236428 - 01/06/06 08:32 PM
demonbbq

Reged: 12/19/05
Loc: Denver, CO

Hello, I am new to the boards, but not to IBS. I have had it for years, but wasn't diagnosed until a particularly nasty bout last January which put me in the hospital for 4 days. I was unable to eat without extreme pain and so they gave me every test under the sun and kept me under supervision. Finally, they concluded there was no other way to explain what was ailing me other than IBS. I immediately got several books from the library upon my release from the hospital and learned all I could about IBS and how it would affect my life.

Since then, I have made several lifestyle changes and have also been following an IBS diet very closely and I still have bouts with it, but it's under much better control than it was a year ago. My doctor even put me on Bentyl 4 times a day and I have gradually trimmed it down to 2 a day and am hoping to soon be down to none.

My point to all of this is that when I got so sick last year, I weighed 160 lbs. I am a 5 11 male with an athletic/slim build, so when my weight down to 140 lbs (and at one of my sickest points I was even down to 135) it was very concerning. Since then, I have wavered between 140 and 150, but have not been able to regain my former weight/build.

My catch 22 is that I am a drummer in a professional punk rock band. While it may not be your favorite music, you must admit that it is a very athletic style of music and I burn calories like a Chia Pet grows grass and it's very hard to keep any weight on to begin with. I feel that I had more stamina, energy, and strength before my hospitalization and haven't really found a good way to get back to that level.

I have tried several things, including Clif Bars (a lifesaver in many situations), Boost Plus energy shakes (with added fat and calories), and eating a high protein diet with as much fat as my guts can handle. I eat a lot of the Morningstar Farms line of soy burgers/chicken, lots of bread, pasta, potatoes, and other carbs, but it just doesn't seem to add up to where I used to be.

So, long story short, does anyone have any tips for IBS safe things I can eat to try to bring my weight up and have more energy?

Also, since my band does a lot of touring, I do have a hard time eating on the road. Does anyone have any tips for that, as well? I have discovered Burger King's veggie burger, which has helped a lot, but I'm looking into ways to somehow get a small fridge and microwave put into our tour van so I can bring my own food along.

Thanks for your time and I hope you are all having a good symptom free day!!

--------------------
Respect the ROCK
www.renodivorceonline.com

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Hmm... new
      #236437 - 01/07/06 06:29 AM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

Well, you've already mentioned all of my suggestions for gaining weight back. Basically, you have to eat more calories than you burn. Since it sounds like you really burn a LOT of calories, that means you have to eat A LOT. I found that potatoes, believe it or not, really put the pounds back on me - oh, and cereal, eaten with soy milk - but in your case, you'll have to eat a LOT of it to see a difference. I don't know what your appetite is like, so I'm not sure if that's feasible for ya.

(By the way... a punk drummer! F**king awesome!)

As for eating on the road, getting a small fridge and microwave would be ideal, but there's other things you can eat besides the BK veggie burger. I'm a huge fan of Subway, myself - there's a few sandwiches there that are safe - I'm guessing you're vegetarian, so the veggie sub is definitely an option. At Wendy's you could get baked potatoes and salads. Actually, they offer salads at a lot of those burger joints now, and most of the time, they're ok for us if you can handle the raw vegetables. Just remember to eat bread first (watch out for their breadsticks, they're usually buttery) and go easy on the dressing.

If you can't handle raw veggies... well, that does limit things significantly. I admittedly don't eat out very often (and I'm not veg, so I typically just go for the turkey sub or grilled chicken sandwich on the menu), so maybe someone else will have some better ideas for you.

Re: Hmm... new
      #236454 - 01/07/06 09:23 AM
demonbbq

Reged: 12/19/05
Loc: Denver, CO

Thanks for the help! I'm actually not all the way vegetarian, I just find that diet to be a bit easier on my guts. I have always loved the roasted chicken at Subway . . . in fact, on tour, the guys just automatically stop at Subway so I can eat and then they go off to whatever grease pit they want to pollute themselves with.

I will try your idea of more potatoes in the diet. I haven't experimented much with the raw veggies yet, although I do occasionally eat a salad after a meal (just like the book says, lol).

Thanks for the kind words about being a drummer. I put a link to my Myspace profile in my profile here if you want to check it out. Looks like we maybe have some similar interests.

Thanks again!

Andrew

--------------------
Respect the ROCK
www.renodivorceonline.com

#236607 - 01/08/06 05:32 AM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

Nice to meet ya, Andrew!

I think that when it comes to eating on the road, *not* being vegetarian is probably going to be easier on your gut. Otherwise, yes, I can see where veg'ism would be easier... but until more restaurants come up with better options than a big ol' salad, a grilled chicken sandwich is probably one of the better things you can eat without killing yourself.

One of the best ways I've found for eating more potatoes is to make them into oven fries. Peel 'em, cut 'em up, spray with cooking spray, salt like crazy, and bake them till they're browned and crisp on the outside. Even when I was at my sickest, I could easily eat 3 potatoes' worth... potatoes aren't fattening at all, but when you can eat them in quantity, they're a lot of calories.

I will totally check you out on myspace... I'm on there, so don't be surprised if you get an add from a random stranger.

#236620 - 01/08/06 07:57 AM
jaime g

Reged: 07/27/05
Loc: new york city

Quote:

(By the way... a punk drummer! F**king awesome!)

i think casey covered all the basics about gaining weight (i do think your cliff bar idea is good - it's just a question of more, i think), but i just wanted to second that sentiment.

off to check out your myspace thing now...

and by the way, welcome.

--------------------
jaime
ibs-a (mostly d) // vegetarian

Re: Update? new
      #250582 - 03/07/06 01:31 PM
K2

Reged: 01/29/06
Loc: Canada

Hello,
I read your post a while ago, and was wondering how you are doing?

I'm also trying to gain weight. I've done some of the same things as you, ordered some Luna bars (Cliff bars for women), eating more protein, weight lifting and eating as much fat as my stomach can handle. So far I haven't found many posts from people with IBS who gained weight (although plenty of success stories for people losing, keep it up!).

Have you had any progress on the weight gain, or eating while on the road?

Kat

--------------------
Kat

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 250 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2941

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review