All Boards >> IBS Fitness & Lifestyle Board Discussions

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
Re: bit naughty.. new
      #235823 - 01/05/06 04:24 AM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

I take a supplement that's calcium + D... that's pretty much the only way I'm going to get it, personally. But I did find this list

http://www.fha.state.md.us/wic/html/calcium.html

that gives some non-dairy foods that are high in calcium. Vitamin D seems to be a little harder to get, just because it seems to be predominantly found in fish - which is fine if you want to eat fish every day, but I think I'd rather take a pill! LOL

http://ods.od.nih.gov/factsheets/vitamind.asp#h2

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Thanks Casey new
      #235846 - 01/05/06 06:50 AM
cailin

Reged: 08/12/04
Loc: Dublin, Ireland

I think I had better get me a supplement, can't imagine forcing all those foods into me, some yucky things there.

Thanks, I was too lazy to look it up!

(PS I condone your UFO bad bevaviour, I'm an offender too!)

--------------------
S.

Re: REPORTING IN - 1/4/06 - What made my tummy hurt?! new
      #235851 - 01/05/06 07:04 AM
Saveena

Reged: 11/22/04
Loc: Texas

I haven't started keeping tally with the calories and fat grams yet, but next time I buy my bulk cereals I will jot down the values.

Also, other than the chai and granola in the morning, I don't know why my tummy hurt all day and the next morning... Any suggestions?

Breakfast: 1.5 c low fat raspberry ginger granola
.5 c low sugar chai and .5 c low fat soy

Snack: 2 full cinnamon graham crackers (cal - 130; fat - 2.5g; fiber - less than 1 g)

Lunch: Carrot, apple, passionfruit juice w/ Tbs Benefiber
2 slices sourdough bread with 3 slices of the Hearty sliced honey smoked turkey and a light smear of original veganaise.

Snack: 2 full cinamon graham crackers

4 Ricola Echinacea Honey-Lemon throat drops while at work (no calories or fat content listed) to counteract the dry mouth caused by Hyoscyamin (Levbid generic).

2 liter bottles of water while at work

Pre-dinner snack: 4 low fat Keebler classic crackers

Dinner: 2 c Campbell's Select Rosemary chicken with rosted potatoes; total cal - 220; total fat - 2 g

Dessert: 1 slice fat free sourdough bread with smuckers strawberry jam (could the seeds be affecting me so badly?)

Pre-bedtime snack: 1 slice fat free sourdough with honey
Multi-vitamin, C supplement, Cal-Mag-D supplement.

Exercise was being curled up around a heating pad after stretching my back and doing some yoga moves for back and abdominal pain.

Several small bottles of water while at home.

--------------------
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, because you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!

Re:Saveena new
      #235889 - 01/05/06 08:43 AM
lalala

Reged: 02/14/05

Sorry to hear you had a painful evening! I've been there! I hope you're feeling much better this morning.

Like you pointed out, the chai (caffeine) and granola (high in IF) could definitely cause problems - it would be enough to trigger pain and cramping for me for most of the day. Could you switch to a decaf chai tea and have toast with a bit of granola or another type of cereal?

Another thing you might want to check for is whether the crackers and graham crackers you've been eating contain HFCS. This isn't a trigger for everybody, but it can be for some IBSers.

Also, what are the ingredients in Campbell's Select Rosemary Chicken?

#235893 - 01/05/06 08:48 AM
Shell Marr

Reged: 08/04/03
Loc: Seattle, WA USA

Quote:

Also, what are the ingredients in Campbell's Select Rosemary Chicken?

I was wondering the same thing...for some reason the name of it, made me think it was creamy... but it does not look like it. Campbell's does not list all the ingrediants on the website, but here is a like to some info. web page

--------------------
www.facebook.com/shell.marr

www.myspace.com/shellmarr

#235900 - 01/05/06 08:56 AM
Saveena

I haven't checked the crackers for HFCS, but the grahams don't have it (just regular corn syrup).

No cream or dairy in the soup. There were a number of veggies, but very well cooked.

What's really weird is that I've been drinking the same amount of chai for 2 weeks w/o any problems. This morning I had the rice Puffins with low fat soy milk.

The bread makes it feel better temporarily...

--------------------
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, because you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!

#235907 - 01/05/06 09:09 AM
lalala

Well, I was thinking there might be something like MSG or carageenan in the Campbell's Select soup. Whenever I was sick, I would eat Progresso soups and crackers, but have even worse cramps! At first I thought it was the crackers, but then I read on Heather's site that MSG could be a trigger for some. So I replaced the Progresso with home-made chicken soups and canned soups without MSG - AND WHAT A DIFFERENCE! Really, my cramps were reduced. Then I switched my soy milk to one that didn't contain carageenan and again I noticed a reduction in my stomach and abdominal cramping.

Also, triggers are not always immediate. You should read this thread where Little Minnie describes really well how triggers work: Identifying Triggers . The bread should also act as a cushion for the IF. Do you ever take a SFS in the mornings?

Are you feeling any better today?

#235916 - 01/05/06 09:25 AM
Saveena

I totally forgot to look for MSG! And I didn't know about the carageenan. I'll have to read the label when I get home.

Caffiene is usually an immediate trigger for me. I went off of it for about 2 years (not even decaf) and recently started needing a little extra kick in the morning. But it makes sense that it could be worsened by the granola or other factors, which makes a slight discomfort become pain.

I'm not much better today.

Thank you so much for your help! I was getting ready to eat bread and applesauce only! I might still go to a strict diet for a bit (rice and baked chicken).

What is SFS? Soluble fiber substitute?

~ Lisa

--------------------

Re:SFS new
      #235922 - 01/05/06 09:37 AM
lalala

Yes, it's a soluble fiber supplement, like Benefiber or Acacia. There's more info on how it works on the main site.

You might want to try Teeccino in the mornings. It's caffeine free, but the potassium in it is supposed to give you a bit of a "kick" as well. I think it tastes very good. It does contain inulin, which can bother some people, but it's never bothered me and I know Casey drinks it without any problem.

I'm glad I could be of some help! I tried looking up the ingredient list online for the Campbell's soup, but like Shell I could only find the nutritional information.

Take care, Lisa. I hope you get some relief from your symptoms SOON.

Re: REPORTING IN - 1/4/06 new
      #235934 - 01/05/06 09:54 AM
Wind

Reged: 04/02/05

Well, I went "carno" again (i.e. ate organic chicken breast).
It didn't make me ill. I feel better for some weird inexplicable reason having done so. Bizarre.

So, here's what I consumed:

1/2 c. organic chicken breast bits
spaghetti squash

asparagus bisque (homemade, with dill & chives. It's just asparagus, first steamed & then pureed with the addition of organic broth to make it a thick soup. I love it.)

spinach puree
lots of cremini mushrooms

1/2 c. organic chicken breast bits
spaghetti squash
organic cauliflower "faux-tatoes"
(chives, dill, & a splash of balsalmic & organic dijon)

A little Rice Dream in Earl Grey tea

It's hard to manage to get to 1000 calories. Honestly, it's hard when mainstream products are so disagreeable to my body and sugar too and gluten is eliminated due to it's vile effect on my body. Not to mention that acid reflux makes me very careful & particular & I'm not good digesting amylopectin types of foods having not consumed them for so many years. SO...I might have to eat like LINZ just to be me, to feel good again. It's the way I ate for so many, many years.

Kate.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 105 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 12054

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review