All Boards >> IBS Fitness & Lifestyle Board Discussions

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
REPORTING IN - 1/3/06
      #235388 - 01/03/06 09:54 AM
Shell Marr

Reged: 08/04/03
Loc: Seattle, WA USA

Everyone post their report for what you did on 1/3 here....

--------------------
www.facebook.com/shell.marr

www.myspace.com/shellmarr

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

My first report of 2006 new
      #235501 - 01/03/06 03:43 PM
cailin

Reged: 08/12/04
Loc: Dublin, Ireland

So here I am back on the wagon, weighing in at 138. I was about 132 when I got back from honeymoon and that was the beginning of November.

I ate out tons in December, haven't gone back to the gym since about July and our kitchen floor still isn't fixed so I haven't been able to prepare homemade food much and have been eating either convenience food or take out.

So, yesterday I decided that today would be the day to get back on track.

My Goals:
-At least 30 mins exercise 5 days a week
-Avoid pre-packaged food where possible
-get back down to 133 by end January, then head towards 130

I missed my bus to work so I decided to walk. Thirty eight minutes and three miles latre I arrived there. That was a good omen so I decided the new me would start right there so:

Breakfast: porridge made on water, ten grapes, brown sugar
Lunch: Coleslaw, tuna and corn in a brown sandwich, a pear
Snack: Special K cereal bar
Dinner: Haddock fillet (a small one) baked with homemade ratatouille and brown rice
Dessert: Fruit puree
Agh I'm starving snack: handful (from the box!) of Crunchy Nut Cornflakes, spoon of tomorrow's dinner that I made at the same time as tonight (veggie chili, it's yummy!)

Sooooooooooo

Total calories consumed: 1731 Less Exercise: 104 = 1627
BMR 2438 -500 for weightloss - 1627 = 311 UNDER budget

Good start!

I am also going to keep an eye on my nutrients- these are percentatges of the recommended daily amount (RDA)
Vitamin A 48.7 %
Vitamin D 12.24 %
Vitamin E 110.25 %
Vitamin K 25.84 %
Calcium 33%

The rest are all OK eg iron, vit C, Vit B etc
Any tips on how to up these in an IBS friendly way? Particulary concerned about the calcium. When I am watching my weight I eat tons of fruit & Veg so are there other ones that are richer in the vitamins that I need to increase my intake of?

Thanks girls

--------------------
S.

REPORTING IN - 1/3/06 new
      #235514 - 01/03/06 05:06 PM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

breakfast: 3 saltines, 1/2 cup granola w/ 1/2 cup vanilla soy milk
lunch: lemon-basil tuna pocket, orange
snack: 5 junior mints
snack: sample size luna bar
snack: slice of plain toast
dinner: carrot & onion soup, salad, 2 slices of bread
dessert: 2 mint meringues

workout: 40min Tae-Bo

I like tae-bo even better today than I did yesterday! Haha. I've been working on the "instructional" tape, trying to get the moves down... I think I have it now, so tomorrow I start the "basic workout", which is shorter, but tougher. I'm looking forward to it!

Re: REPORTING IN - 1/3/06 new
      #235537 - 01/03/06 07:39 PM
Wind

Reged: 04/02/05

Holy weird food day! Like Ruchie, what works one day does a double-take on me the next! Not unhealthy--everything but unhealthy. Just inexplicable & bizarre.

So, while still under 1000 calories, high on nutrients.
Also, mega-bagged, i.e. tired/fatigued. Honestly, I could not drag my butt out of "bed" until noon.

Here's what I ate:

4 egg white omelette with
(lots) of cremini mushrooms
& baby spinach puree
(dill, chives, sea salt, splash of balsalmic on spinach)

(hehe)Another one of the above

asparagus soup

can of tuna
over herbed spaghetti squash
fresh parsley, dill
a splash of organic veg. broth (***great mayo alternative/flavouring***)

2 bowls of "A Simple Veggie Soup" (organic cauliflower, carrots, shiitake mushrooms)
***it is interesting to note that I experienced no discomfort or attack in response to organic cauliflower versus regular cauliflower. this leads me to wonder if organic broccoli would cause me a problem. might have to test this hypothesis, & retest more than a few times***

I'm too full for anything else, so...that's all she wrote for today.

And, NO COFFEE, NO CIGARETTES!!! (Some Earl Grey tea, though. Also peppermint & camomile. Lots of water. Flat diet gingerale, too) Potatoes, for some strange reason just felt too heavy for my gut, today. And rice didn't smell right. Weird, but...I don't want to be pushy.

There is a voice, though, inside, that seems to be hungry for some real organic chicken bits in the soup. Ultra weird.

Kate.

Edited by Wind (01/03/06 07:42 PM)

#235545 - 01/03/06 09:34 PM
Shell Marr

Reged: 08/04/03
Loc: Seattle, WA USA

OK... here is my reporting in......
My BMR = 2083 + I burned 691 calories (50 mintues with my Personal Trainer Heather in Body Sculpting Class) - 730 less calories to get to my goal = 2044 calorie food budget.

Pre-Breakfast: 170 calories Toasted Nutz N Cranberry Luna Bar & Water

Breakfast: 170 calories Toasted Nutz N Cranberry Luna Bar & Water

Snack: 80 calories 4oz Cinnamon Applesauce & Water

Snack: 180 calories Nutz Over Choc Luna Bar & Water

Lunch: 385 calories 6oz Tuna w/Light Mayo, 1oz Snyders FF Mini Pretzels, 4oz Original Applesauce & Water

Before The Gym: 100 calories 6oz Jay Robb Egg White Protein Powder Drink (Chocolate mixed with water) & Water

At The Gym: 14 calories 4 Altoids & Water

Dinner: 422 calories Baked Burrito 10" Flour Tortilla w/5oz Chicken Breast, 1 Tablespoon Pureed Avocado, 1-1/2 Tablespoon Hummus, 1 Tablespoon Green Tabasco Sauce, 1/4 Teaspoon Black Pepper, Butter Pam & Water

Tea Time: 0 calories 8oz Heather's Fennel Tea unsweetened

Fiber Pills: 3 calories total

Total Water intake (goal 128oz) = 80 oz

Total of 1524 .....a little low, should be at lest 1800....in my food budget

--------------------
www.facebook.com/shell.marr

www.myspace.com/shellmarr

#235642 - 01/04/06 11:16 AM
Snow for Sarala

Reged: 03/12/03
Loc: West Coast, USA

BF=2 tbls. benefiber in fennel tea and a banana

Lunch=French bread with some olive oil and crushed garlic and oregano "dip"

Snack= UFO (2 slices dessert bars)

Dinner=1 small chicken breast

Exercise 1 hour dance 15 mins bike 5 mins. hula hoop and 15 mins stretching HURRAH!

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

Ruchie, is that ALL you ate? new
      #235654 - 01/04/06 12:03 PM
Wind

Hey, Ruchie. Is that all you ate? It doesn't sound like much or enough...was it just a not hungry day? DON'T STARVE to death. Not a single fruit or vegetable? Not even a few colours? (Okay, I know my diet is on the greener side, but at least the shades of green are different! And it's not all green! Yes, my bedroom is green, too--Egyptian Nile green.)

Concerned,
Kate.

#235656 - 01/04/06 12:05 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

Too many high calorie foods- over 2000 cals. 3 rounds weights and ball exercises.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

Re: Ruchie, is that ALL you ate? new
      #235709 - 01/04/06 03:25 PM
Snow for Sarala

I think so ma'am. At least I had a banana. It hurt though.

I am hoping for some lettuce tonight with my chicken.

All I've had today is 3.25 oz. fish, half a sweet potato, some carrots, some dessert stuff, and tonight will be some chicken and greens. Perhaps I will have some bread now....maybe I'm forgetting to eat again? It happens when I feel this way. Pain. Bleh.

Yes, I AM hungry...I just don't want to be. I kow the pressure will not feel good and I'm already in so much pain. Even a heating pad doesn't help this pain. Oh well...I had better eat if I'm hungry right...

Thanks for caring so much *hugs* It just truly hurts to eat

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

Re: Pain and the dangers of bloating. new
      #235737 - 01/04/06 04:57 PM
lalala

Reged: 02/14/05

I know what you mean - it's hard to eat through the pain and I can't imagine how overwhelmed you must be by all your diet restrictions and trying to figure out what to eat.

For me, sometimes the pain takes over logic...or something. So, over the holidays, since I've been stable, I have been eating a couple of things that aren't good for me. I haven't had an attack of D, but I have had bloating and a lot of pain. The cramps are usually on my left side, from the ribs to the lower abdominal area.

Yesterday during dinner, I had a severe cramp that left me breathless. Earlier in the day, I had unbuttoned and unzipped my jeans because of the bloat. Well, as I stood up, rushing to get a heating pad or lie down or hot tea - I don't even remember where I was going because I was so consumed by the pain and fear - I stepped with my right foot on my left pant leg, which had slipped down under my heel because they're already too big and unbuttoned, and, and, and...BOOM! I hit the floor, landing on my left knee with so much force that I bounced. My cat, who had been watching me eat, took off to hide.

I stayed on the floor, wanting to laugh at myself, but crying instead. I didn't want to "make light of the situation" anymore, and I just felt frustrated with the pain, IBS, myself and my "cheating," and my stupid pants.

Anyway, I'm fine today and so is my cat, who came back to check up on me as I lay on the floor weeping. I reminded myself that I wasn't having pain or even IBS symptoms until I ventured into Trigger-Land.

Lessons learned? For me, it was just another confirmation of how important it is to stick with diet (and how important it will be for you once you figure out what works and doesn't work for you). The pain does go away, but while it's present we shouldn't let it take us over. We shouldn't let it get in the way of how we take care of ourselves - we still need to eat and drink, nourish our bodies and mind, stay calm, and keep our pants on. Ha! We'll see how well I follow my advice in the future.

Edited by SPASMTASTICAL! (01/04/06 05:09 PM)

#235749 - 01/04/06 05:42 PM
Wind

Yikes, Maria--I've been there too. Maybe that's why us IBS'ers have a tendency to eat more or less the same things everyday--tried/tested/true ultra safe things, ultra-safely prepared.

That's scarey. I've even scared the hell out of people during attacks like this, in the past. While on Nexium, I got extremely worried because I had so many more of those obscenely painful attacks. Now that I'm off that drug, the attacks are gone. Truly, though...they do get me supremely on track & ultra-conscious. I am so "anal" that I measure everything. Finally, fiber feels fine again & not painful.
I don't anticipate pain, either. I guess, we have to live with our limits. It's frustrating, sometimes--isn't it?

I must add that quitting smoking has definitely made the difference. It's true re: smokers eating air. Not smoking really eliminated SO MUCH IBS B.S./unnecessary pain, cramps,
tons of D, etc.

Poor Sofia, though!

I usually keep it really soft, liquidy, safe on those days.
I literally spoon feed myself.

Kate.

I'm so sorry, Ruchie. new
      #235754 - 01/04/06 05:49 PM
Wind

I didn't want to sound pushy! Playing it safe is the best policy. Is it the new meds., do you think? A mysterious ingredient in those dessert treats? C from Hell? Maybe a reaction to Benefiber? I hope you figure it out. Treat yourself with tons of TLC, heating pads, teas, hugs, etc.

I just know you, and well...I'm concerned. (Hmmm...I feel like a cow, now. Okay, I know that's hardly the case--everything BUTT! I can't eat a whole potato without feeling bloated. 1/2c., I have learned is my max. The most rice I can tummy is 1/2c. Anymore and I feel bloated and vomit. Warped.)

Hugs,
Kate.

#235757 - 01/04/06 05:51 PM
lalala

Reged: 02/14/05

The funny thing is, I still have my appetite and I'm still experimenting with food. I think there's a part of me that's slowly realizing that I still need to eat. I just need to stay away from those Hershey Kisses. (Yep, that was my cheat! I threw out what was left today. I didn't buy them - Christmas treats from family members - but I sure did eat them! )

It is hard to experiment with food though, when you're afraid of experiencing more pain.

I'm glad you're doing so great! You've made some really good choices for yourself this past month. Geeze! I feel so proud of you! You inspire me to get some more variation in my diet and get out of the house.

Re: I'm so sorry, Ruchie. new
      #235778 - 01/04/06 06:38 PM
Snow for Sarala

It's not my IBS. (Though I am still C atm). It's the interstitial cystits that is giving me so much pain. At least I can sit down...I'm thankful for that! I have an appointment with a new urologist tomorrow. PRAY he will help...

IC is chronic just like IBS. Only the pain is in diff. places...

So I get pain from IBS, interstitial cystitis, fibro, (which thank G-D!!! is not so bad right now), and potentially I also have vulvodynia and endo. in the mix.

So yeah. Not much left to eat if I don't cheat on some diet somewhere down the line!

So....when I feel like this...I "forget" my hunger pains cause I'm too scared to eat.

I gotta eat when I take my meds so I'm assured some food will go down.

I ate better today than yesterday I think.

Those desserts def were a BIG no-no.

*sigh*

It WILL get better. But for now....

Just trying to stay positive. Can't wait to meet my new doc tom. Hope he can help! G-d please help this man to help me!

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

Reporting In!! 01/03! new
      #235790 - 01/04/06 08:17 PM
Stephie

Reged: 03/10/04
Loc: Vancouver, Canada

Hi ya'll!
Here is my report for today, did better today as I went to the gym.

Exercise: 1.5 hours at the gym. 12 minutes on the bike, 20 minutes on the elliptical. Half an hour of other exercises, weights and stuff. 10 more minutes on the treadmaster.. stair-somethingerother..

Breakfast: Oatmeal/Oat Bran with 1/2 cup of soymilk and some peaches.

Snack: Almonds and Raisins

Lunch: Turkey sandwich on sourdough bread with 1/2 tsp of light mayo, mustard, lettuce and pickles. 1 pear.

Snack: Almond granola bar

Dinner: Tuna sandwich with ultra low fat mayo, 10 baked lays chips, 1.5 pickles and gingerale.

Snack: Big time UFO, very bad.

I have some UFO in my freezer (you can guess!) and I have been eating it regularly, which is very bad! In fact, even though I have done much better with ALL the other parts of my diet, EXCEPT for this UFO that I have been eating. I think this may be the reason I have GAINED 1.5 lbs! Oy!

Alright, off to report for my today!

Cheers,
--Steph

--------------------
~~I'm not crazy, I'm just a little unwell-I know right now you can't tell~~Matchbox 20
IBS-D,pain.

#235860 - 01/05/06 07:28 AM
Snow for Sarala

I am SO sorry you went through all of that Maria! Are you ok? I'm glad you didn't get hurt (you didn't right?)

Thanks for writing me so I know I'm not alone *hugs*

P.S. It hurts to sit down this a.m.

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 45 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 5262

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review