All Boards >> IBS Fitness & Lifestyle Board Discussions

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
REPORTING IN - 12/2/05
      #228716 - 12/02/05 08:14 AM
Shell Marr

Reged: 08/04/03
Loc: Seattle, WA USA

Everyone post their report for what you did on 12/2 here....

--------------------
www.facebook.com/shell.marr

www.myspace.com/shellmarr

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: REPORTING IN - 12/2/05 new
      #228929 - 12/02/05 08:26 PM
jaime g

Reged: 07/27/05
Loc: new york city

1 piece of white spelt w/ jam

3 hardboiled egg whites
fruity pebbles w/ lite soy milk

baked sweet potato (w/ skin)
1/2 c apple sauce (unsweetened, of course)

low-fat chocolate cookie
1 c lite soy milk

1 dark chocolate truffle

8 wheat thins
1 ff devil's food cookie
instant grits w/ ff soy milk & maple syrup

1 piece white spelt
veggie soup
casey's chocolate cake for one

gym!: 50 min elliptical (and at a higher level than usual - pushed myself, which felt great), 60 crunches, 20 pushups. (i'm totally gonna be sore tomorrow.)

all that talk about carob & chocolate got me craving chocolate... as you can see. but it's in context of a day with fruits, vegetables, very low fat, and a total calorie count under 1700 or so. with an intense gym workout, i think that it totally fine.

going to dc for the weekend (mini-vacation w/ the roommate), so i'll talk to you all sunday night or monday.

--------------------
jaime
ibs-a (mostly d) // vegetarian

#228939 - 12/03/05 01:44 AM
Draupadi

Reged: 07/16/05
Loc: Santa Cruz, California

Hey...I'm super tired, headed to bed after a long but fun girls night out!

*peanut butter panda puffs, banana, soymilk

*avocado and veggie sandwich, carrot sticks

*larabar, soy yogurt, and coffee with kahlua

*pasta with marinara sauce, shrimp, and garlic bread, plus a small bite of cookie

*rice cracker with almond butter...late night snack!

Good night!

--------------------
Julia

#228940 - 12/03/05 02:26 AM
Wind

Reged: 04/02/05

I really hurt! I didn't have a 4 a.m. Pepto. dash, which rocks. I did sleep/nap sitting up, though, and pop some Gas-X before bed. I know, however, that after the initial withdrawal is over, I will feel like a new woman. Believe it or not, sleeping/napping helps as does COLD AIR.

Crispix (I'm sticking to cereals that I like/that like me!)

eggplant (peeled), cremini mushrooms ***i blanched the eggplant for 1 min. prior to baking and it gave it such a nice soft texture! a little wine vinegar and parsley and yum!***

creamy asparagus soup (just pureed asparagus in a little organic stock)
saltines

safe purple potatoe fries, portabellini mushrooms
zucchini sticks

some leftover purple potatoe fries
green beans (these are great quitting smoking munchies! ditto for mushrooms!)

No caffeinated coffee
Lots of Advil
No cigarettes, either.

Can you believe that I cannot sleep without the stim.? Warped, I know. Cold Canadian Air really helps.
Also, re: withdrawal D--Immodium is helping, but I am trying not to O.D. on it. I did two yesterday. I also thought that maybe I'd better do a little chewing, instead of mostly a smooth/baby-ish food. It was well cooked, though, and safe.

Kate.

#228951 - 12/03/05 06:32 AM
anlikerm

Reged: 09/16/05
Loc: NC

Mini Bagel
Chamomile Tea

Homemade Fries (A bunch!! Got really full!!)
Anise Tea

Angel Food Cake
Mashed potato/squash and zucchini Quesadilla
Chamomile Tea

Cream of Wheat (Bloat attack!)

Mashed Potato Burrito
5 Fortune Cookies (couldn't eat just one!)

That's it, yesterday. I just ate a bunch of potatoes, it looks like!! I was bloated, gassy, full most of the day.

Woke up with tummy ache at 1:30am Sat morn and couldn't go back to sleep until about 5:00! So, we'll see how today goes!!
I had a pepto dash Kate! I don't know why!!! Well, I haven't eaten squash/zucchini in a long time. Maybe it was that??? I ate pretty safe all day!!

Michelle

--------------------
IBS-D. Hiatal Hernia, GERD
Unstable

#228967 - 12/03/05 08:36 AM
lalala

Reged: 02/14/05

Luna Bar (in case you're wondering, it's aways the chocolate peppermint stick flavor)

Cripsix
toast

Soy Dream frozen dessert

leftover chicken
corn tortilla chips

Luna Bar

chicken broth w/ shiitake mushrooms, garlic, carrots
steamed broccoli
mashed potatoes

Crispix
Silk Nog

#228974 - 12/03/05 08:46 AM
anlikerm

You and your 2 Luna bars a day had me very curious about what I was missing out on. So, I bought a Lemon Zest Luna Bar last week and it didn't sit too well with me. But, I ate the whole thing AND I'm not very stable right now.

Did you eat them when you were unstable??? Did they help you stabilize??? Do they help keep you stabilized because of all the nutrients and fiber??? I really liked it and wanna try it again. These things are really good......should I just take it slower and only eat a little bit a day until I can handle a whole one???

Thanks!
Michelle

--------------------
Unstable

Michelle new
      #228985 - 12/03/05 09:01 AM
lalala

Yes, I started eating them when I was unstable (although not at my worst - I wasn't having D, just a lot of pain and sad poos). Sometimes they're the only thing I CAN eat when I have an attack. It must be that they're a good source of SF and calcium, as you mentioned. However, I started out eating only 1/2 bar for the first week, then moved on to eating a full bar. I wonder if the lemon zest was enough to aggravate your acid reflux and if this in turn triggered an attack? In that case, the chocolate peppermint flavor probably wouldn't be good for you since two of the main ingredients are acid reflux triggers (chocolate and peppermint). If you can do a little chocolate, I would recomend the Nutz over Chocolate, but I would probably try eating 1/2 Lemon Zest again and see how that affects you. It does contain inulin, which causes gas in some people, but I've never had that problem.

HTH! Gotta run - I'm late to work! Take care, Michelle!

Re: Thanks, Maria! new
      #228989 - 12/03/05 09:12 AM
anlikerm

Hi Maria!!

NO, I have been having perfectly normal BM's this week with the help of 1/2 imodium everyday or every other day. Just pain, urgency, and cramps and of course the indigestion associated with my acid reflux!!

Thank you for the advice. I will try a 1/2 of nutz over chocolate or one of the other flavors, like you did for a week and see how it goes. I need the nutrition, bad. I am not getting enough through diet alone because of (once again!!) my acid reflux........

The Lemon Zest seemed to go down pretty good, it was later on in the night that I had a little bit of tummy trouble and the next morning when I felt it with a couple loose BM's. So, I don't think it was the reflux, it may have been too much fiber in one sitting for me. I don't know.....I really liked it and wanna try them again because I need the extra calories (I'm really trying to gain weight) and vitamins. Yea, the chocolate peppermint one probably wouldn't sit well with me at all!! But it sounds soooo yummy!!!!!!! I love both, peppermint and chocolate.

Have you been reading my posts in the living room?? I bet chocolate helped contribute to my reflux coming back this time. I have to eat chocolate every day!! I haven't had any chocolate at all in months!! I was just venting about it in the living room all day, yesterday. I'm going crazy not being able to eat chocolate anymore and I am going to give in, here shortly.....or I'm gonna die....don't know which one will come first!?! LOL!!

Thanks again!! Sorry I made you late for work!!

Michelle

--------------------
Unstable

Hey Michelle! new
      #228992 - 12/03/05 09:24 AM
Wind

I had a Pepto. dash, too, but not until 8 a.m. Withdrawal makes me really queasy/nauseated.

Hmmm...potatoes don't make me bloated. However, I do note that they are really filling/satisfying--heavy due to their weight (not calories). I cannot stomach a whole cup of potatoes, in one feed, personally, but then again, I do eat other foods, generally, in conjunction with them, that are higher in water content. Maybe you need some variety? If I'm feeling really bloated/stuffed--, I tend to stick to rice, or crackers, etc., or skip a "starch" food and have one as a snack, substituting a high SF veggie or fruit. I think, actually, that we both have shrunken guts.

It's funny, but I have to leave room for SF foods, i.e. I'm still becoming good friends with them, having shifted from my old habits.

'Taters, though, are really yummy and one of my favourite "fast-foods," i.e. really quick to prep.! And so versatile!

Kate.

#228997 - 12/03/05 09:50 AM
CathUK

Reged: 05/25/04
Loc: Cambridge, UK

Hi,

Had something last night that I thought you might like. I cut potatoes, celeriac, a bit of onion, herbs and garlic up into thin slices, layeyered them in a dish, poured over some vegetable stock, put a bit of soy cheese on the top and baked it in the oven for ages (covered part of the time). It was really tasty and the celeriac was delicious (less heavy than making it with just potato).

Celariac mash/coleslaw is also good.

Hope this is of use!

Catherine

Re: Hey Michelle! new
      #229001 - 12/03/05 10:14 AM
anlikerm

AWWW, you had a pepto dash, too??!! I know how withdrawls can make you nauseated. It messed me up for a month, well hell, I'm still messed up!!!

Yep, I think I ate too many potatoes yesterday. They are my favorite food. I could live off potatoes. Usually, I don't eat them too much because they do tend to make me gain weight, but now that I am trying to gain weight, I am going to make sure and eat them everyday!! Yae!!!!

Let's see, yesterday I ate them with squash and zucchini. That was good. Then I would just make them mashed and rolled up into a burrito.....those are good, too! Then of course, I had my homemade fries!! Wow, alot of potatoes. You're right.....need more variety!

Maybe I should just cut it back a little bit, today. I have only eaten 2 mini bagels this morning so far and I feel STUFFED!! And I have homemade fries in the oven right now!! But, they will take like an hour to cook so I'm hoping I will have room by then!!

Michelle

--------------------
Unstable

A hopefully not to creepy comment for Michelle new
      #229013 - 12/03/05 11:15 AM
Wind

Don't laugh too hard, but if I eat a veggie that's not ultra-safe, I generally use BEANO. Personally, any food that has galactose in it causes me exceptional discomfort. Potatoes, however don't have much galactose. Yes, it really does help.

Lucky for us, mushrooms have negligible galactose! Zucchini and squash do, however. Beets don't, I know. Ditto for spinach. Yes, I'm babbling--but I know that squash makes me majorly bloated/gassy (same with carrots), probably due to the galactose content. With Beano, however...no problemo!

Yes, I could live off of potatoes, too! Well, potatoes and rice (lol, they're cheap, too!) and lots of mushrooms.
Isn't it funny how when we find safe foods, we tend to eat them over and over and over again? Then we have to reinvent their presentation.

I still haven't found a bread that will stay down--so I don't bother. I think my energy and satiety is increased/steadier with foods like potatoes & rice tossed in the menu. Also, they feel really good when your guts are rebellious! I like white rice pasta, too. I'm still hunting for other Kate-safe foods that are both IBS-friendly and Acid Reflux friendly. IBS attacks/acid reflux sure can ruin your mood, if not a chunk of time out of your day. It's truly a journey finding things that personally work, and Heather's diet is a phenomenal guide. Keep letting me know what's working for you, s.v.p. I'm always willing to try something new.

Kate.

Catherine, that sounds divine! new
      #229014 - 12/03/05 11:21 AM
Wind

Great idea, thanks, Catherine. I love doing that with anise (fennel bulb) and including a wee bit of asparagus. I regret that I'd have to imagine the onion at the moment due to evil acid reflux. I love rice cheese as a condiment/garnish.

Whipped celeriac, huh? I love pureed celery as part of a sauce sometimes or pureed fennel bulb. I've been making a lot of hot zucchini slaws which are so IBS-friendly. Great tip. Now you're making me miss turnip fries.

I'm trying to eat less adult babyfood, as well.

Kate.

Re: A hopefully not to creepy comment for Michelle new
      #229019 - 12/03/05 11:32 AM
anlikerm

LOL!! I use Beano, too!! Not all the time but I should have used it yesterday when I ate that squash, I guess, huh??? I did not know that squash had that galactose in it that could cause discomfort. I didn't know that. Maybe I should just stick with Zucchini and X-nay the squash???

I don't eat bread, either, besides my bagels. Those, I'm fine with but I can't handle any breads, either. I don't really miss it, though. I really do miss my peanut butter and jelly sandwiches, though. Man, I forgot about those. I use to eat those almost everyday, too!!! With my chocolate M&M's!!

You're right, when I find something that works for me, I tend to eat it ALOT because I like to feel good!!! It's hard to stray from what works to something that is kind of ...."iffy", you know???

I will keep you posted on what works for me and you do the same, too!! Oh, I'm so glad you suggested mushrooms to me, Kate! I had no idea they would sit so well wit me. I am totally out of them atm, though.

I ate some portabello mushroom burgers the other day and they were sooooo goood!!!! However, I cannot afford to eat those everyday!! It was like $3.00 for 2!!

But, I can buy a 10 lb bag of potatoes for $5.00 and I'm set for a week!!! We're broke over here, if you can't tell. After I had to quit working, we are suffering!! So, I have to find things that work for me that are ULTRA CHEAP!!!

IBS/reflux attacks do take a big chunk out of my days and I really don't enjoy it at all!!!!!!! It really does put me in a horrible mood, too. But, today is a good day, another day and it will be a better day than yesterday, I can just feel it!!! LOL!!

Michelle

--------------------
Unstable

Re: A hopefully not to creepy comment for Michelle new
      #229040 - 12/03/05 02:40 PM
Wind

I cannot eat squash, personally without an attack, no matter what! It's just one of those foods that don't like me very much. I like spaghetti squash, but even it despises me!
So, no more squash attempts for Kate!

Mushrooms, however, totally work. I get them buy the box (ususally 5lbs.) at a mushroom farm, wholesale and save tons.

You should see if you can try and budget those burgers in, if they agree with you. I know that there are lots of easy mushroom burger/patty recipes out there, as well, involving mostly just a couple egg whites and a little bit of some sort of grain/cereal/flour as binder (i.e. breadcrumbs, or panko, crushed rice cereal etc.).

Wow, $5.00 for 10lbs. of potatoes??? That's alot of money!
I'm Canadian and I can get 10lbs. of potatoes for $2.00 Canadian funds. Holy cow! If I'm in extravagent gourmet funky tater mode, I pay a little more--but sometimes, if those are the only thing picky me will consume, so be it!
Warped. I just can't believe the outrageously high potatoe price you cited! In Canada, a bag of potatoes is cheaper than bus fare one way.

Kate.

Re: Okay now I'm moving to Canada! new
      #229051 - 12/03/05 03:15 PM
anlikerm

$2.00 for 10 lbs???? Holy Cow!!! I'm moving to Canada!!
Wow, I am paying way too much for potatoes!! I have been buying the Idaho Potatoes, so maybe I do need to check around and see if there are cheaper ones!! I really like the Idaho, though......

Well, I threw away the rest of my squash, today, too. Funny you said that. I asked my mom if squash could be causing me to feel kind of yucky today and she said she can't eat squash either without getting D and she's a C!!! So, they're gone!! I took an Imodium this morning and I have still had 3 BM today and very loose. Not normal for me. So, it's gotta be the squash. That's the only thing I did differently yesterday. You think I'm right???

That's awesome that you get mushrooms in bulk like that from a mushroom farm??? I don't even know if there is a mushroom farm near me. How long do the mushrooms keep in the fridge that you buy at the grocery store??? I am not an experienced mushroom eater. I usually just ate mushrooms on my pizza!! This whole mushroom thing is new to me but they don't affect my system at all so I need to keep eating them!!

I love the portabello burgers!! I don't know if my husband will let me buy those things more than once a week. They are super expensive. But, they totally agree with me and took away the hunger pains because they have good protein. I haven't taken in ANY protein today, unless there's protein in potatoes. I can tell, too.....I'm super hungry but kinda feel yuck at the same time. Just started after I took my fiber at 3:00. Blew up like a blimp and it didn't go away until 4:30 and after 2 more BM's!!! Blah!!!

Michelle

--------------------
Unstable

#229078 - 12/03/05 05:40 PM
Wind

Yup--it's the squash! Good for you!

I ditched some broccoli I retested, for lunch. It causes such violent g.i. spasms/contractions in me. It either ends up regurgitated or gives me explosive D. So, I am finally convinced that Broccoli is a bad thing for me. I get a huge headache when I eat it too. Either way, it puts huge pressure on my "Les" and blech! I took a few Gas-X and it(the broccoli) barely stayed down. Thus, I am convinced that broccoli is a big reflux/D trigger. Spinach, however, likes me and luckily I like it!

I am now at the point where I'd feel bad forcing myself to eat anything disagreeable. So, I am writing lines, reminding myself how sick broccoli and cruciferous veggies make me feel, even with Beano. I am proud of myself for dumping the Broccoli. Now, I must remember NEVER EVER TO BRING IT IN THE HOUSE AGAIN!!! It's hard. It's like an abusive relationship. Okay, enough babbling.

Re: Mushrooms
If they're fresh, they keep about a week. 5-7 days is a good guide. Not longer. I'm awful, but I can (and do) easily eat 5-10lbs. of mushies in a week, depending on my mood. Roughly a lb./day. Pretty bad, huh?

Kate.

#229079 - 12/03/05 05:49 PM
anlikerm

Wow, you eat ALOT of "mushies"!! LOL!! They sit really nice, though. I can see why you eat so many!

Good for me for ditching the squash! Good for you for ditching the Broccoli!! I don't know How in the world you ever could handle broccoli. Broccoli HATES ME!!! It always has. Even before IBS, Broccoli gave me HORRIBLE GAS!! I actually got some steamed veggies from the chinese place in October and that night was the sickest I have ever been in my life because I ate some broccoli and it seemed like it had JUST BARELY been cooked at all. That's the day I started going downhill fast!!! I will never eat broccoli, ever again!! I couldn't eat for a week after that incident. My BM and stomach were seriously jacked up and the next day I went to the doctor and he referred me to the GI and scheduled me for the endoscopy/colonoscopy. Horrible, horrible.......I will never do it again. Sorry, hon.....I know how you love broccoli and it has such good health benefits and cancer fighting antioxidants.....but, it's just not worth the pain!

Don't bring them back into your house!! I'm putting my food down!! hehehehehe....

Gotta go get some "mushies" tomorrow! I miss them already. I'm so glad you introduced me to them!!

Michelle

--------------------
Unstable

Okay, Broccoli is officially banned! new
      #229086 - 12/03/05 07:04 PM
Wind

Thanks Michelle. Broccoli is hereby officially banned from my house/fridge/body. To eat it, is self-abusive, for me. Now, I must practice this admonition. (Those are really cute little trees, but they really ruin my afternoon.) And I will not feel guilty for exempting myself from brassica for life.

Kate.

Edited by Wind (12/03/05 07:07 PM)

Re: You won't feel guilty when you feel 100% better!!! :) ~nt~ new
      #229088 - 12/03/05 07:08 PM
anlikerm

--------------------
Unstable

#229099 - 12/03/05 08:02 PM
Wind

I won't get better (stable) until I ban it for life. It really gives me D!!! Not only D, but acid reflux! Yes, Broccoli is one potent food. I will just say no. I'm going to be on the can all night. However, I just popped an Immodium and more Pepto. because this is just stupid! Maybe in an hour or two I won't be afraid to fart.

Kate.

#229103 - 12/03/05 08:08 PM
lalala

Ah, sorry you're having such a tough time with broccoli. I feel guilty that I can enjoy broccoli while you are cutting it out of your diet. Luckily, there are many tasty and safe vegetables for you to choose from. Well, maybe someday in the far future, when you've been stable for a long while, you'll be able to enjoy small amounts of cooked broccoli.

Maria, re: broccoli & being stable new
      #229119 - 12/03/05 09:06 PM
Wind

It's not the end of the world. There are lots of other things
to choose from! Spinach & swiss chard just naturally agree with me, while they cause others tremendous distress.

However, I know if I want to be stable I need to avoid it--not just as a personal D attack trigger, but as a reflux trigger as well. Cabbage/cruciferous veggies and sulfur do me in everytime. They just cause violent g.i. spasms/contractions in me and I look like a sick cat that swallowed a fur ball.

You're lucky though that broccoli is your friend.
Kate.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 94 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 10622

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review